Beosound Shape - what do you think now?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 1 Follower

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
111 Posts
Gold Member
BeoFrederic posted on Mon, Sep 2 2019 6:36 AM

The Shape fascinates me, probably more than any other current B&O speaker/system.  It's been a couple of years, I think, since its introduction; time enough for evaluations to mature.

Those of you who have purchased: what do you think of your system now?  What do you think of the sound quality?  Do you miss the 2-channels, 2-speakers sound of traditional stereo?  Would you purchase the Shape again?

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,704 Posts
Bronze Member

I do like the app, but then again my use case it rather different from yours.

Maybe you expect the app too do something that it was not designed for?

I guess Christian is right - Sonos and the Sonos app is more your thing.

In fact my (B&O multiroom) setup would not be easy to manage without the app.

The Core is part of the concept Shape - if you use it differently (as a set of speakers) only tell me that that concept is rather flexible.

It should have been possible for you to ‘borrow’ the Core just for the installation from your dealer.

As for reviews on the app store....I never read these!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

HH1971
Not Ranked
39 Posts
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sun, Sep 15 2019 5:20 PM

Millemissen:
my use case it rather different from yours.

It would be interesting to understand your use case? Perhaps the problem is not the B&O app, it could be me, that I do not fully understand how to use it. Perhaps I have to change my processes and everything will be fine?

Millemissen:
It should have been possible for you to ‘borrow’ the Core

My dealer did not tell me. I had to find out by myself, that I do not use the Beosound Core. Making additional 750,00 Euro more revenue, I can understand, that he did not offer it. And Bang&Olufsen is making it easy to get ripped, because there is not much information / detailed manuals available in the internet how to use / set-up the Beosound Shape.

Millemissen:

As long as you are happy with the B&O app, there is no need to read it. But when you are not happy at all, you start to think if it is the app or you are using it in the wrong way. But when you see that the average rating was 1,8 (now 2,6 after setting back the counter) and you compare it with ratings of competitor apps at least you get the confirmation, that the majority of users are not very happy with the B&O App. As Bang & Olufsen I would get really nervous as customer I can go on to the next Brand as suggested in some threads.

Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
892 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

I do like the app, but then again my use case it rather different from yours.

Maybe you expect the app too do something that it was not designed for?

I guess Christian is right - Sonos and the Sonos app is more your thing.

In fact my (B&O multiroom) setup would not be easy to manage without the app.

The Core is part of the concept Shape - if you use it differently (as a set of speakers) only tell me that that concept is rather flexible.

It should have been possible for you to ‘borrow’ the Core just for the installation from your dealer.

MM

well said!

I did have a similar impression/ reaction.

Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
892 Posts
Bronze Member

HH1971:
There are some people in the Forum, that think the Beosound Core is working fine. Yes it works without errors, but looking at the price tage of 750,00 Euros, my expectation was totally different. The main disappoint is the B&O app, probably the technology of Beosound Core is not bad, but for 750,00 Euro a professional steering software (B&O app) should be included.
Is the Core working or not? Or is your problem the B&o app? 

You use the BS Shape as Beolab's for your TV set. I use the BS Shape as a separate music system. With the app I can control the system, quite easily. So my experience doesn't compares to yours. I mainly listen to my own DLNA collection and sometimes TuneIn. For both the app works just fine.

HH1971:
that I have to use a raspberry + hifiberry + LMS + ipeng + Beosound Core or Beovision
I 'm curious what are you listen to when using this line of setup (Spotify? Deezer? Apple Music? or?)? In my opinion, I think you should rethink this use. Or supprise me?  

HH1971:
Instead the B&O app offers to manage headphones, really great. I do not have any B&O headphone and after my Bang&Olufsen experience I will never buy one. Why do I have to integrate the steering of multiroom devices and stand-alone devices in one app? To make it maximum complex, great job!
If you do not have any of these devices, don't critizise! Because in your setup the app will not show these devices. So why complain about complexity? 

HH1971:
When I purchased the Beosound Shape / Core my expectation was that I am able to catch up technology wise with my „Sonos“ friends with a working out of the box solution.
In principle you did buy such a system! And my "Sonos" friends still find my system more impressive.

Note: still improvement to the app and/or the BS Shape are possible and would be appreciated.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
914 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there was a recent software update which now allows you to use the core and connect the amplifier via powerlink. If you're playing music through the core, and the powerlink from the BV is activated, then the powerlink takes priority and the music from the core is paused. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,704 Posts
Bronze Member

riverstyx:

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there was a recent software update which now allows you to use the core and connect the amplifier via powerlink. If you're playing music through the core, and the powerlink from the BV is activated, then the powerlink takes priority and the music from the core is paused. 

For how to, see here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b5h2aeuu25h8y2/BeoSound%20Shape%20TV%20speakers.pdf?dl=0

The link should still be active.

MM

christiank
Not Ranked
56 Posts
Bronze Member

Careful now. Pretty sure this particular setup only works when the Core is involved, because the Core is transferring the filters to the amplfier each time the input on the amp is changed (via USB).

However, a Sonos could be connected to the optical input of the Core, and then you could lock the volume of the optical input on the Core, and still control the volume from the Sonos app. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,704 Posts
Bronze Member

christiank:

Careful now. Pretty sure this particular setup only works when the Core is involved, because the Core is transferring the filters to the amplfier each time the input on the amp is changed (via USB).

riverstux wrote: ‘use the core and connect the amplifier via powerlink‘ and the PDF also shows that the BS Core must be involved.

So - actually - we were ‘carefull’ 😉

By the way, this is a very good solution....that surely - depending on your setup - can add more value to a Shape installation.

MM

HH1971
Not Ranked
39 Posts
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2019 10:08 PM

riverstyx:
but there was a recent software update which now allows you to use the core and connect the amplifier via powerlink

Millemissen:

Thank you very much for these really valuable information.

Can somebody point me in the right direction, where I can find on the Bang & Olufsen Internet pages a description / release notes what additional features are available with each software update / release change for the Beosound Core? 

To keep me informed what additional features are available over time.

christiank
Not Ranked
56 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:
So - actually - we were ‘carefull’ 😉

Sorry, missed that :)

HH1971
Not Ranked
39 Posts
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sun, Sep 29 2019 5:33 PM

HH1971:
Can somebody point me in the right direction, where I can find on the Bang & Olufsen Internet pages a description / release notes what additional features are available with each software update / release change for the Beosound Core? 

Nobody who can help?

Aussie Michael:
Did you mean the presentation of the UI or the usability ? Just curious.

From professional software developers / company I expect professional communication with its user / customers. Minimum would be an internet page with release notes. How should a Bang & Olufsen user find out that there are additional features available?

Or is it just me, who cannot find the relevant internet page(s)?

HH1971
Not Ranked
39 Posts
Bronze Member

I just found out that there is a software update from 1.6.31769 to 1.6.34089 available.

Does anybody know, what changes are offered with the new update?
Has anybody good experience with the update?

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL