Capacitor for Beomaster 1000

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Crystalboy
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member
Crystalboy posted on Mon, Aug 26 2019 5:20 PM

I'm looking for two replacement output capacitors for a Beomaster 1000. It's 3000uF, and has three legs. Can I replace them with capicotrs that has the standard two legs, or do I have to do some alterations on the circuit board to make it work? Would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right directions for parts.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,356 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Crystalboy

Two of the original capacitor’s legs are just connected together. The circuit board may take advantage of this, in which case you will need to add a jumper wire if you replace it with a two legged cap. 

As for values, I’m sure a much more common 3300 uF will do.

--mika

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,922 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Tue, Aug 27 2019 11:40 AM
Verified by Crystalboy

Only two pins are used.
The third pin is for mechanical stability.
Take a look at the circuitboard traces. You will see, that one pin has a solder pad with no connected traces.

Martin

All Replies

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,356 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Crystalboy

Two of the original capacitor’s legs are just connected together. The circuit board may take advantage of this, in which case you will need to add a jumper wire if you replace it with a two legged cap. 

As for values, I’m sure a much more common 3300 uF will do.

--mika

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,922 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Tue, Aug 27 2019 11:40 AM
Verified by Crystalboy

Only two pins are used.
The third pin is for mechanical stability.
Take a look at the circuitboard traces. You will see, that one pin has a solder pad with no connected traces.

Martin

Crystalboy
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot for the information! Had time to replace the caps yesterday and now it works like a charm. Replaced it with a couple of 3300uF. But noticed that my Beovox 1000 speakers probably need replacement crossover caps too, the treble on one of them oscillates between fine to muffled. The other one is always fine. This occurs with the one speaker on both channels so hasn’t anything to do with the receiver. I guess the way to go is from the front through the midrange speaker? Any of you helpful folks know the values of the caps off hand? Gonna have time to disassemble this weekend but would be nice to buy the caps before that. Or should I look for something else as the source for my faulty speaker?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,922 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 11 2019 4:53 PM

More likely to be a bad tweeter.
Yes, you go in from the front.
The front is held by small nails. Lever it off carefully using a wide spatula or similar, working your way around.
If you need access to the crossover filter take out the woofer (being a two-way system there is no midrange driver).

Martin

Crystalboy
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Small update, if anyone's interested. I'm glad I didn't crack the speaker open in vain. As the tweeter was going from clear sound to muffled, I tried playing high pitched music through it and gradually increasing the volume. It then came and went for a while until it settled as it should sound. I'm happy! Just got my hands on two more Beomaster 1000 a couple of weeks ago. Going to give one of them a small re haul this week. But, can I replace the 400uF cap on number 106 on the circuit board with a 470uF value one? At least it falls under the "no higher than 20%" rule I've read about here and there. I have a couple of Nichicon 470uF KZ Muse laying around at home. Would be nice not needing to order just the one from Elfa, with the cost of shipping and all.. What do you think Martin?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,922 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Sep 24 2019 6:47 PM

470uF will be fine.
I wouldn't choose a low-ESR type - it makes life easier for the rectifier etc.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL