Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Suggestion for HDMI to RGB SCART (not CVBS SCART)?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 0 Followers

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
171 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav posted on Mon, Aug 12 2019 8:20 AM

Been looking around for some kind of decent HDMI to SCART (RGB output) and while there several cheap ones available for around 15-26 Euro range from the same manufacturers which produce the SCART to HDMI converters which only makes use of the SCART CVBS instead SCART RGB - I would like to reach out if anyone here has a suggestion for a decent converter/scaler?

All Replies

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
171 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav replied on Mon, Aug 12 2019 8:39 PM

Well, it might be easier to find hdmi to s-video converters which at least provides far better picture image compared with composite video. Anyone have suggestion for devices?

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

Out of curiosity, what do you need it for, perhaps there is another way?

jordanius
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Hey Kim, I explored this exact scenario a couple of years ago as a way of extending the life of my SCART only B&O gear. The generic HDMI to composite/svideo adapters are universally average due to the limitations of the low res signal. 

I highly recommend one of these

http://arcadeforge.net/UMSA/UMSA-Ultimate-SCART-Adapter::57.html?language=en

Pair it with with a HDMI VGA adapter and you are golden. The RGB signal you want is 15khz 480i/576i which can be easily generated with a Raspberry Pi. People write off Beovision 5's as essentially worthless but I was astonished with mine once I had this up and running. Razor sharp, deep blacks and super punchy colours. Try it out.. you will be amazed with the results !  

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
886 Posts
Silver Member

I'll try that out as well to connect the Beosystem 3 to my old avant. Sounds like a good solution! Thanks!

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
818 Posts
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Thu, Aug 15 2019 9:35 AM

Do you know if on the B&O TV it automatically adjusts the screen to 16:9? - I've been using one of the cheaper ones for my BV6 in the bedroom - resolution is not good with Apple TV for text, but okish on a small screen for movies. Problem is that everytime I switch it on I have to then select Format 3 - tried all settings in the setup on both the TV and Apple TV but still end up having to manually switching to Format 3.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
886 Posts
Silver Member

May I ask how exactly you generate the 15khz signal from a video processing engine? Kai

matador43
Top 150 Contributor
513 Posts
Bronze Member

matador43
Top 150 Contributor
513 Posts
Bronze Member

Andrew:
Do you know if on the B&O TV it automatically adjusts the screen to 16:9? - I've been using one of the cheaper ones for my BV6 in the bedroom - resolution is not good with Apple TV for text, but okish on a small screen for movies. Problem is that everytime I switch it on I have to then select Format 3 - tried all settings in the setup on both the TV and Apple TV but still end up having to manually switching to Format 3.

A solution to that may be a Beo5/6 which can adjust the format automatically based on source selection on top of controlling the Apple TV and the Beovision.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,610 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Aug 17 2019 11:09 AM

Andrew:

You'll need something that sets pin 8 of the SCART to 6V (actually 4.5 - 7V) - this should automatically set the TV to 16:9.

(EDIT: It may already be trying to do this, but will only work if your SCART lead is fully wired, i.e all pins connected - have you checked?)

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
818 Posts
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Aug 20 2019 9:51 AM

Hi Guy - no the output from the converter only outputs Video and Audio L/R - I think as the TV is getting quite old, I'll probably look at replacing it in due course, thanks though for the replies.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
886 Posts
Silver Member

That's the path that most of us go sooner or later. However, I still stick to my old Avant 32 RF because it is such a beautiful furniture - much better than any flat screen that I have seen. But it is all a matter of taste, I guess. I mean, B&O has done fabulous flat panels, but the old CRTs were in their time way more ahead of their competition in terms of style.

I'd still like to know, how you put that solution of jordanius to practice. Most of us will use some AV processing machine and I'm not too sure whether those are able to put out 15khz.

Kai

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
818 Posts
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Aug 20 2019 2:08 PM

Totally agree about the Avant - my old one was better than my BV8 at most things other than displaying text from Apple TV and not having an HDMI socket. 

jordanius
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

@manbearpig - You can generate a true 15khz RGB signal with a raspberry pi by adding two lines to the config.txt file as described here

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

To get 16:9 576i on my BV5 I use

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=22

To everyone who is linking to the generic hdmi->scart adapters remember that scart is just a connector which supports a number of standards. These cheap adapters use composite or svideo. The only way to improve the picture is by seeking out something such as a PI which can output a RGB signal.  Think of RGB as being like VGA with separate lines for the red/green/blue versus composite with all picture information being mashed together and transmitted down a single wire. The difference is night and day.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL