Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 6 Followers

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
26 Posts
Bronze Member
tlk posted on Fri, Aug 9 2019 12:15 PM

Hi there,

I thought it would be nice to be able to remote control my Beoplay M5 speakers from macOS, so I created a little proof-of-concept tool to be able to do just that. The code is available at https://github.com/tlk/beoplay-macos-remote-gui and you need to build the software yourself with the latest XCode beta if you want to try it out.

With this little tool it is no longer necessary to reach out for your phone (and open the B&O app) to adjust the spotify volume or stop/start a tuneIn radio station - just scroll the little volume slider in the mac status menu or use the keyboard shortcuts.

I previously asked for suggestions on how to remote control the Beoplay volume over at Spotify, and it seems like other people have been looking for something similar.

Would it by any chance be possible for B&O to consider making a functionally similar piece of software available through the MacOS Appstore?

Best regards,

Thomas

Screenshot:

All Replies

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,566 Posts
Bronze Member

kuyttendaele:
Downloaded in on my iMac.

It does find my BeoVision 14. But changing the volume does not work. So I guess it only works for the BeoPlay range of devices.

Karel.

Beosound Moment: volume, next, back, pause works, sources (including join) not (grayed out).

Beovision 11: no response

Beovision Horizon: no response

Beolink NL/ML converter: does not work (at least in my setup) 

Beosound Essence mkII: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beosound Shape ( & Beosound Core): volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beoplay A6: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beoplay M3: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beosound 35: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beovision Harmony: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Edit: ones a device is chosen with greyed out sources (such as the Moment), the sources for ALL devices are grayed out and stay so. The app must be restarted to get sources again.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
2,012 Posts
Bronze Member

Carolpa:
Beosound Moment: volume, next, back, pause works, sources (including join) not (grayed out).

If you didn't notice it already, controlling a Moment with the app triggers high CPU usage on the Mac and the app must closed to recover. At least this is what happens for me with the latest iteration of the code (not the one in the current DMG) 

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Sep 22 2020 7:23 AM

Very nice tool. Thanks for that Thomas!

Can you program this for PCs, too?

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
26 Posts
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Wed, Sep 23 2020 3:29 PM

Carolpa and mbolo01 thanks for the feedback! I have checked in a small update that may prevent the bug triggered by connecting to the Moment. Tracking the issue in github #26

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
26 Posts
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Wed, Sep 23 2020 3:37 PM

TWG, you are welcome - happy to receive feedback from you. I believe I could make a similar tool for Windows and other platforms but I am afraid it is unlikely to happen pro bono.

best regards,

Thomas

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Gold Member

tlk:

I could make a similar tool for Windows and other platforms but I am afraid it is unlikely to happen pro bono.

How much would it cost?  I'd be very willing to chip in $250 if others are interested and willing to contribute.

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 2x Beolab 6000 • 2x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2
Integrated:  1x Beosound 2 • 1x Beosound Level • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  16x* Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

* Yes, really! 🤦‍♂️

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
2,012 Posts
Bronze Member

Carolpa:

FYI: The latest version of the code can now properly control the BS Moment, including sources and TuneIn stations ! Better than the Halo can do :-)

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,566 Posts
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Sep 25 2020 12:39 PM

mbolo01:
Carolpa:

FYI: The latest version of the code can now properly control the BS Moment, including sources and TuneIn stations ! Better than the Halo can do :-)

I noticed yesterday but didn't find the time to Thumbs Up, in my setup only the BV11 and the BLC can't be controlled (but the shared sources of a ML product with a NL product, f.e. a Essence mkII do work)

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,953 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm curious what the obstacle is that prevents control of BeoVisions/BeoSystem 4 and Nl/ML Converters -- since the Halo cannot control these either.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,566 Posts
Bronze Member

"Program Killer"; just setup my new Mac Mini with Apple's M1 processor.

Now the B&o app and the Beoliving app can be run on the Mac itself Big Smile

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
26 Posts
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Mon, Dec 7 2020 5:39 PM

Excellent! Does it support hotkeys?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,566 Posts
Bronze Member