rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

lamousis
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
lamousis posted on Mon, Aug 5 2019 8:24 AM

Hello everyone

I have a problem with an old Beomaster 1500 tuner/amplifier.

When i try to turn up or down the volume it makes a scratchy noise and then the sound on one channel is gone (sometimes the left, sometimes the right). I have to turn the volume up and down many times to find a specific spot every time (in which the volume must be completely still) so that i can get sound on both channels

Is there a way to fix this problem? Does anybody else have it? 

Thanks!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Mon, Aug 5 2019 11:27 AM
Verified by lamousis

Contact cleaner.
I use the "Kontakt 60" since it evaporates almost completely, not adding to the mess.

Replacing the potentiometer requires soldering, but try the contact cleaner first.
Spray a small amount into the potentiometer and excersize it full stroke back and forth a dozen times or so (Beomaster unpowered) - then test again.

Martin

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder

Clean the volume potentiometer.
Or replace it.

Martin

lamousis
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Clean with water or with a contact cleaner spray? 

Or should i use a dust blower?

If it come to replacing the volume potentiometer, is it simple, do i need a manual or something?

Sorry for the too much questions, it's just that i have the Beomaster for about 40 years (and it's working ok except for that volume issue) and i don't want to do anything that would damage it...

Thanks!!!!!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Mon, Aug 5 2019 11:27 AM
Verified by lamousis

Contact cleaner.
I use the "Kontakt 60" since it evaporates almost completely, not adding to the mess.

Replacing the potentiometer requires soldering, but try the contact cleaner first.
Spray a small amount into the potentiometer and excersize it full stroke back and forth a dozen times or so (Beomaster unpowered) - then test again.

Martin

lamousis
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Martin thanks!

I've found a contact spray that i had (Teslanol lector clean) 

Should the contact spray has oil? isn' it dangerous?

Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για teslanol lectro clean

The volume potentiometer is this correct?

Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για beomaster 1500 potentiometer

Should i spray underneath it?

Again sorry about the dump questions, i want to make sure i won't do something stupid and damage the bombaster...

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Aug 14 2019 8:53 AM

No oil!
Spray into the small openings in the potentiometer housing - that's on the opposite side of the circuitboard.

Martin

lamousis
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot!!! I sprayed the potentiometer and everything is ok!!! The scratching noise is gone and there is volume on both speakers!!

If that didn't work and i had to replace the potentiometers i don't know if i could do it. What i saw when i opened it was a bit complicated. There were strings coming from the volume bar and end up in the potentiometer moving it back and forth. It doesn't seem like an easy job (or maybe it is if you' re experienced)

So thanks again!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL