Beolab 3500 as rear surround

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Griffter18
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member
Griffter18 posted on Mon, Jul 22 2019 11:23 AM

Bit of a strange one which Im hoping someone may be able to offer some practical advice on as weve moved recently and the layout of the new house has caused a few problems.

Current set up is Beolab1s as main speaker fed through a denton x3400. Previously I was using lab 6000s as which worked well but the layout of the new house means there is no way to physically mount speakers on the rear wall due to a slightly offset open staircase running up it!.

The original layout of the room had a wall between it and the stair case but this was removed to 'open plan' it so there is a beam running across behind the listening area and parallel to the staircase.

I was going down the route of looking for ceiling mounted speakers for rears but Im wondering if a bola 3500 could be used if Im a little createive.

Effectively Id need to remove the amp and power circuitry and run it passive powered by the AVR unit, I could then potentially mount it to the rear of the beam (facing away from the listening area so it reflects off the rear wall.

Q: How easy would it be to remove the amp/power circuits and make it passive, or could these just be unplugged, and do you think that this would work?

The main benefits if this could work is that it would keep the look of the system and save sourcing ceiling speakers.

All Replies

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
548 Posts
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Mon, Jul 22 2019 4:17 PM

Hi,

removing the amps, power suplies, and everything else in the case of the BeoLab 3500 won't work because there are two bass units and two tweeters inside which are not connected via a crossover network to split the frequency ranges! Also the inbuild audio processing is responsible for the speaker protection. so this is no good idea.

Have you ever thought about using two BeoLab 4000 as rear speakers?

the can be mounted right below the ceiling and can be mounted in such a way that the "beam" downwards. A quick search here in the forum gave this example.

Hope this helps.

Ralph-Marcus

Griffter18
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

considering lost of options including Beolab 4s, 4000s as well as 15s. The thing is there is no power in the area to run active which is why I was considering using either ceiling mounted passives or stripping a 3500 and running it as two seperate passives with the amp in the x3400.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,339 Posts
Bronze Member

How about using the BeoPlay S8 set/the BL14-2 set?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Griffter18
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

Its one of the options I looked at but cant seem to find the satalitles available.

The thing is Im already running 2x 10" enclosed subs with 10" passive radiators so have more than sufficient bass/sub base.

All the speaker output on the x3400 is via preout so the built in amp isnt being used. The location of where the rear/surround speakers need to go will make it difficult to get thicker rca cables through which again pushes me down the passive route and using the under utilised amp of the x3400.

My original though of stripping the internals of a lab3500 would remove the amp and crossover, but the avr would provide protection by limiting low frequency  to >100Hz and then I could use a passive crossover to take the >3.5k frequencies to the tweeter. 

Asthentically this would be the best option for me and would also negate having to drill ceiling holes which will look at odds with the existing downlighters

Griffter18
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

Well after much consideration I picked up a used lab3500 for next to nothing. Downloaded the manual and slowly set about taking the unit apart.

Was quite easy to remove the amplifier and other circuits and then install two seperate crossovers and adjust the wiring.

Whilst they may not be perfect the crossovers are 2-way sending >3kHz to the tweeters and a 12db cut off rated for 200w.

Hooking them up to the denon avr amp means I can adjust the volume of each channel to match the volume of the lab1s via Audyssey. 

Overall Im happy as I've maintained the look of the existing system and with the lab3500 stripped its much lighter in weight and fills the rear adequately with rear surround bounced off the wall.

Not sure wether to keep the original internals from the 3500 just in case or put them up for auction.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL