Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 1 Follower

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
632 Posts
Silver Member
BEOVOX141 posted on Fri, Jul 19 2019 10:40 PM

Hi 

Can anyone explain exactly how the 3.5 mm jack works on a BL4  (PL version).

There is no real schematic available and the input jack  in the blocked schematic is shown as a stereo jack.

The switch PC/LINE is definitely doing more than just changing sensitivity when feeding the speaker with a stereo signal... I am guessing the speaker is supposed to be fed with a mono signal (mono jack) but why is a stereo input shown... ?

All Replies

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
807 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sat, Jul 20 2019 1:32 AM
It's dangerous to guess, but here goes - if there is a left/right switch, you can use that to select which signal to feed the speaker for a stereo cable. If you used a mono connector, it should work fine because the audio signal would feed both the left and right signal, so either switch position would work but it wouldn't matter. Then the Beolab would use signal sensing to turn on. Sounds right, or am I missing your question?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,520 Posts
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sat, Jul 20 2019 11:00 AM

The diagram is a simplified version.

Normally/mostly the DIN connector (powerlink) is mounted and also stereo. In the middle diagram you can see that at the switch the choice is made for left or right.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
632 Posts
Silver Member

Beobuddy:

The diagram is a simplified version.

Normally/mostly the DIN connector (powerlink) is mounted and also stereo. In the middle diagram you can see that at the switch the choice is made for left or right.

Except that the L/R ONLY works with the PL connector,- feeding the BL4 with a stereo signal on the 3.5mm jack in the Line setting simply doesn't work correctly...

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,508 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Beovox141,

The line input is similar to that on Beolab 6000/8000, as you mentioned already the Left/Right switch only applies to the Powerlink input.  When in Line mode, the speaker takes the mono audio input fed to it via the 3.5mm jack and auto-senses, so the speaker turns on when the audio starts and it then turns off three minutes after the audio has stopped.

I keep a wide range of cables for Beolab 4 (Powerlink and PC versions), please ask if you need any further help: https://soundsheavenly.com/40-beolab-4-and-4pc

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
632 Posts
Silver Member

Hi Steve Big Smile

The picture of the cable on you website threw me off a bit.....

Beolab 4/ 4PC Input cable - Minijack connection

It shows stereo Jacks in both ends, but in the text you actually describe two different connectors, so I am assuming  the ones plugging into the BL4 are mono, because if they're not,- it wont work. You will get sound but its kind of a pseudo mono.

THAT IS UNLESS yous are as clever as I think you are Smile

Its a very strange implementation of an input, but I guess if its B&O it has to be... Whistle

I compiled pictures of all the BL4 parts from EBAY here:

https://forum.recordere.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=4389&PID=1594467&title=bang-olufsen-fortid-nutid-lg-tv#1594467

Pretty compact little thing (IMHO Highly over engineered though)

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,508 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Beovox141,

Please don't worry, although I use stereo jacks, they are each wired as mono - this gives me the option to use higher quality jacks that aren't produced in mono versions.  All my cables are tested and working perfectly prior to shipping - I use Beolab 4s at home, so I know them well!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,720 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Steve.

You can buy higher quality 3.5 mm. Mini Jack Mono Male Connector, metal.

Here - https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=2812

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,508 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Thanks for that, but I now use a higher quality Neutrik plug than that one, which isn't shown on my website photo (I will get the pictures updated very soon).

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
632 Posts
Silver Member

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi,

Thanks for that, but I now use a higher quality Neutrik plug than that one, which isn't shown on my website photo (I will get the pictures updated very soon).

Kind regards, Steve.

Okay I cant help myself... I have to ask the million dollar question Smile

What did you do with the ring that does NOT carry a signal ?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,508 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Beovox141,

For Beolab 4 speakers, the ring connection can be left disconnected or wired to signal ground, as it isn't used.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
632 Posts
Silver Member

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi Beovox141,

For Beolab 4 speakers, the ring connection can be left disconnected or wired to signal ground, as it isn't used.

Kind regards, Steve.

Hi Steve.

Here is what I found: I left unconnected (remember its actually a STEREO receptacle)  you will get a buzzing sound when the Laptop goes to sleep (tested on two Lenovos), when grounded it stays quiet. These are both  laptops.

One of these day I will take it completely apart, just to see how that input is done, unless you already did?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,508 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks,

That is interesting, I will try that.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,720 Posts
Bronze Member
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL