This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,974
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 Posted: Sat, Jul 13 2019 7:42 PM
Hello all

It feels like ages since I have been here. Not much changed at home.

I am thinking of buying Alexa or Google small device to add voice activation to my BLGW.

Has anyone done this? What is the best option?

BLGW - Rekindling the love of ML

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,452
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jul 14 2019 6:50 AM
Why don't you ask the question on the podcast thread. Willie has a lot of experience with the gateway and voice control

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,347
Bronze Member
By using it on the BLGW what are you trying to do ? Ie commands

You can use google natively without BLGW to play music eg play deezer on beosound one etc
Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,452
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jul 14 2019 10:02 AM
Presumably to trigger macros, something an Alexa or GH can’t do on its own
beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,536
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Jul 16 2019 12:30 PM

I would also be interested in hearing an update on the quality of sound sent from either device to be played on a B&O speaker -- either by line-in or bluetooth. I remember trying this long ago and abandoning the notion since the sound quality just wasn't up to par with B&O sound. Has this improved with either platform? I see that Alexa now has an attractive, slim profile, input-only device without an internal speaker.

laseralex
Not Ranked
Posts 65
Bronze Member
laseralex replied on Wed, Jul 17 2019 10:23 AM

I can't address integration with BLGW but I can mention my experience with Alexa vs. Google.

I'm a huge Amazon fan and I live in their home town of Seattle, so I purchased a few Amazon Echo Dot units to spread around my house.

I wasn't really happy with what they did so I picked up a couple of google home minis. Within 15 minutes of receiving the Google Home devices I was packing up the Alexa units for return to Amazon.  The Google devices were literally 10 times as useful.  Ask for the weather.  Ask trivia questions.  Tell it to to control lights.  Ask for reminders.  Create a shopping list.  It is just night and day better than Alexa.

If only I could use it to control my B&O Multiroom equipment.  Sad

2x Beosound Moment
4x Beosound Essence Mk II
3x Beolab 8000
1x Beolab 6000
1x Beolab 3
3x Beolab 2
3x BeoPlay M5
1x BeoPlay A6
8x Essence Remote

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate