rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

buckbeak
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
buckbeak posted on Fri, Jul 12 2019 11:17 PM

Hello everyone!

A new B&O fan here :) Just got my first B&O speakers, these are quite rare 1700's. They seem to be recapped. Now they play with my Rotel RA04 (2007), which is quite modern compared to speakers. My source is Arcam rDac. I really enjoy how they sound: distinctive with lots of air and quite rounded and plush on the other hand. It seems that Rotels strictness and coolness deals with this warm vintage speakers quite well. You don't want to stop the music.

But! The question is: does any usual Beomaster like 3000 worth trying compared to my actual Rotel? In terms of specifications Rotel beats almost any Beomaster, but we all understand that these are just digits, not the sound. I mean can these receivers produce comparable sound quality that may be more suited for B&O speakers? It is not so easy to try any for free, this vintage tech is quite expensive in my country (1700's were almost $150).

Igor

All Replies

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,920 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Jul 13 2019 9:33 AM

These are indeed not common speakers as only produced for a short time - about a year before being replaced by the 1702. They are designed for the lower end systems rather than the 3000 as their power handling will be limited.

As far as the Beomasters are concerned, B&O did not really enter the power statistics race till much later. There was an interesting time in the late 80s where the power outputs of amplifier suddenly seemed to double with no change to the electronics but this seemed to be a marketing decision. As you will know, most music we listen to will actually use less than 1W of power anyway with peaks occurring that needs the reserve of the speaker. Your 1700s can handle up to 40W peaks. 

B&O did design their systems to work as systems and speakers and amplifiers did seem to be matched. However they were designed to be Hi-Fi speakers so should cope with most that is thrown at them though obviously a bright speaker with a bright amplifier is likely to be difficult to listen to for long periods. Hi-Fi News magazine has run a number of vintage reviews a number of which are for B&O courtesy of the esteemed Tim Jarman. This has a listening test but also proper lab tests and may prove instructive. The June 2012 edition reviews the Beomaster 4400 which is one of their best and compares well to modern amplifiers.

Welcome to Beoworld - shame you are not in the UK - I am about to dispose of a pair of Beovox 5000s which you would have been most welcome to have had!

Peter

buckbeak
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
buckbeak replied on Sat, Jul 13 2019 10:38 AM

Hi and thank you for your useful reply Peter!

It would be very interesting to read those reviews.

I know that 4400 is a decent if not the best B&O amplifying device but it is quite pricy. My candidates were:

1. 1400 - like the design and the fact that this is one of the first HI-FI receivers by B&O. Great price compared to other models ($100)

2. 1000 - like the design even more, don't like the price ($170)

3. 3000 - don't like the design, but seems to be the best in terms of sound quality and RCA inputs are great too ($170-200)

And I'm also wondering if they are useful without recapping?

P.S. Beovox 5000s are great I'm sure! If you have any other items for sale that you can ship abroad I would be interested to see them too

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,920 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Jul 13 2019 8:12 PM

The US seems very pricey - Look at completed prices in eBay uk and you will get very upset! I don't really sell - I give things away as I prefer them going to a good home! The 5000s are too big to post to even the UK so will probably go to the tip!

Peter

buckbeak
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
buckbeak replied on Tue, Jul 16 2019 11:55 AM

These are not US but our Russian prices. And Ebay shows quite the same prices. So I bought a nice Beomaster 1400m yesterday for $100, now waiting for this oldie - will share my thoughts as soon as it arrives!

As for your idea to find new homes for old technic - this is just awesome and very kind.

Igor

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
825 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Igor and welcome to the Beoworld!

The Beovox 1700 are really nice and good sounding speakers. They deserve a good amp which would match them powerwise.

I have had the Beomaster 1400m once and I remember, I was not particularly amazed with its sound. It is also not famous for its Design Whistle

But let us know how it sounds in your ears.

You mentioned BM1000. IMHO it is a very good receiver and the good looking one too. This would be the good match for the BV1700. I am a fan of the BM1000, specially of the latter version with the black keys which hat a much better transistors in the amp section. Did you know that the redesign of the white key version of the BM1000 was actually the first project of the Jacob Jensen in the 60's as he came to B&O?

Few other candidates for your BV1700 could also be the BM1200 (or the BM1001 if you prefer the black finish), BM1500 or even BM901.

Soundwise is the BM1500 probably the best but the other ones are also good.

Those prices are little bit to high. Maybe you should look to the ebay auctions of the sellers who would ship to Rusia?

Best regards from Vienna!

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

buckbeak
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Theomaster and thank you for your useful reply!

I bought 1400m just to have something to start from. Maybe I will enjoy it, maybe not, but I'm intrigued by hermanium transistors and by the fact that the amplifier met hi-fi requirements of its time.

And yes I really enjoy the design of BM 1000 and know the fact that the black one was the first work of Jacob Jenson. Hope to listen to it too one day. They are quite expensive here. 901s are less expensive but they were in Audio, not Hi-Fi department, weren't they? Do I pay too much attention to this fact?

Igor

buckbeak
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

So finally my BM 1400m has arrived.

The Beomaster 1400m is an interesting receiver/amlifier. While my 1700s can't play properly till I recap them, I connected some small bookshelf speakers Audio Pro Evidence E.1. OMG I didn't know they have any bass! BM made them play some nice tight bass. I like the character of the sound especially on lower volume and after some warming-up... The device needs some good treatment.

Igor

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL