Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 68 Replies | 3 Followers

David
Not Ranked
Oxford
36 Posts
Gold Member
David posted on Thu, Jul 4 2019 9:07 PM

Thanks to Steve Devonshire for finally making this a real prospect

Bang & Olufsen, Beovision Harmony (VIP PRE LAUNCH + EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH STEVE DEVONSHIRE) - YouTube

All Replies

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,442 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jul 9 2019 4:26 PM

kuyttendaele:

BEOVOX141:

That is not clear at all, why would you deliberately exclude 85% of the TV market. I.e all the rest of the manufactures?

I don't follow that reasoning... Currently almost all screens have excellent videoprocessing onboard. Why would you reinvent the wheel only to come to the conclusion that your wheel is also round.

There was a time that B&O was clearly ahead in video processing when screens were "dumb" and didn't have (good) video processing. 

The market has moved on and B&O made a good decision to no longer pour money in a black hole when LG's video R&D vastly exceeds B&O's capabilities.

Karel.

I'd say not only had the market moved on with respect to video processing being well done inside most TV sets, the big thing is sources have moved on and gotten good enough (DVD, BluRay, 4K) that processing of the raw video has become just about unnecessary. No more SD or bad cable feeds, or at least not the majority of what people watch, cable while not as good as most other sources is better than it was, mostly. The big things in the sets that test well, say a Panasonic OLED which runs an LG panel, have to do with more standard TV things, gray scale linearity,  color temperature, contrast, black levels, color accuracy. Some differences due to motion processing but most of it is just making the TV closer to what the standards say it should be.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

pauliander
Not Ranked
29 Posts
Bronze Member
Very correct MM, although entirely Wisa based could be the compromise Struer is looking for. Older PL speakers such as BL5 could be connected via a Wisa receiver. New Wisa speakers could serve for the center and surround channels. Big Smile
BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
564 Posts
Silver Member

Sandyb:
I think BeoVox means "why not make a box that can be used as a hub for all TV brands, not just LG".

Yes thank you!

Let me clarify:

Video processing in the sense the the Beosystem acts like an A/V reciver. Switcing the HDMI signals, properly decoding the audio formats and perhaps adding a menu overlay. A hub that distributes, streams, whatever. I agree let Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG deal with developing the videprocessors. Should it be in a nice presentable enclosure even better! 

Personally would love to see the tuner functionality as well for convenience, and complete independence of the TV software.

Such a device would cater to all tvs not just LG!

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
564 Posts
Silver Member

DMacri:
That being said, wouldn’t a BeoSystem 5 that could tie any screen to any Beolab speakers be an attractive option? Release an updated Beolab 7.4 or 10 for a viable center channel.

Absolutely! And it should be in B&O best interest since the speakers division seem to be able to attract customers!

PS I would buy the "NEW" AV7000 as well,- that makes three units already!

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
786 Posts
Gold Member
BEOVOX141:

PS I would buy the "NEW" AV7000 as well,- that makes three units already!

Let’s start a new thread just for thisSurprise

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,294 Posts
Bronze Member

Razlaw:
Aussie Michael:

Thanks for the link to the YT video

However, i never heard him mention a B&O soundbar, only about the BeoVision harmony and that in time they can do a software update if you change your screen.

Did i miss another video?

Thanks

M

Here an excerpt of the video highlighting the mention of the sound bar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1VpQP5BLc

Thanks :-) LOL.  I think i watched that scene a few times as i tuned out and clearly i tuned out missing what I came there for.

Thanks for the excerpt :-) 

pauliander
Not Ranked
29 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb:

It’s likely to be close to the equivalent of the Eclipse sound centre, I.e a centre speaker with all the connections etc.

The upcoming sound bar is a simple product, like many other sound bars.

You’ll have to wait quite a while for the thing you are looking for

How long do we have to wait? Fall 2020? Unsure
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,294 Posts
Bronze Member
pauliander:

How long do we have to wait? Fall 2020?

Good question. I hope it’s some time soon. And then you have that concern (fear?) will the Mk1 product be a complete DUD.

I appreciate that they will be a standalone product.

But i do hope that it has WISA.

In my other lounge room i have an OLED Sony which is a great TV, and i have been deciding if i get an Axiim Q box and then some new beolabs, or i wait for this sound bar.

If i can add 2 beolabs in the rear if it has WISA I’ll be happy and go with that.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,195 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Jul 10 2019 8:00 AM
Aussie Michael:

Thanks :-) LOL. I think i watched that scene a few times as i tuned out and clearly i tuned out missing what I came there for.

How odd. I did exactly the same.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,104 Posts
Bronze Member

pauliander:
Very correct MM, although entirely Wisa based could be the compromise Struer is looking for. Older PL speakers such as BL5 could be connected via a Wisa receiver. New Wisa speakers could serve for the center and surround channels. Big Smile

I suppose you mean the WiSA Ready function of the LG-tv’s and others (?).

In that case you will be disapointed - the handling of speaker groups is very limited, in fact it is not there.

People who have tried that solution tell that it is a pia, when you know what a genuine B&O audio processing solution is capable of.

Besides, the BL5’s can not be used properly with a Receiver 1.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,104 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

Personally would love to see the tuner functionality as well for convenience, and complete independence of the TV software.

Such a device would cater to all tvs not just LG!

That would be a device pertectly tailored for your specific user case.

However, yuo seem to forget that most people use the functionallity of the tv (the apps etc) to ‘watch tv’.

One of the advantages of the deal that B&O has made with LG is, that you  (via the specific webOS app) can control the functions of the LG-tv with the BeoRemote.

That would not be possible, when you would use ‘not just LG’.

I know - that won’t bother you, but such a device is not likely to happen.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,104 Posts
Bronze Member

Back to the actually (now semi-official anounced) coming soundbar.

It seems that some people are asking for some kind of Atmos compatibility built-in etc.

My question is, why - why would you want pseudo-Atmos from a rather small speaker?

I guess this is not something that B&O will consider - if they (at some point) would offer an Atmos and co solution, it would more likely be a fully fletched, genuine solution......something that only few people/costumers would ever install.

(On a side note - in Struer, in the cinema room of the BeoHome, they use a Trinnow solution for that).

B&O has for some time now worked on a different kind of spacial sound processing - something that we can see one result of in the BS Shape (the Band on the Wall function).

Neo Kaplanis (one of the Tonmeisters in Struer) works in his ‘laboratory’ there specifically on these solutions.

You can read something on this subject here: http://www.hiddenwires.co.uk/news/article/b-o-opens-new-virtual-reality-laboratory

Neo’s LinkedIn page: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/neokaplanis

I guess what we will see - or rather hear - will be more along that line........a B&O-created solution for the sound from a relatively small speaker like a soundbar is.
MM

pauliander
Not Ranked
29 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

I suppose you mean the WiSA Ready function of the LG-tv’s and others (?).

In that case you will be disapointed - the handling of speaker groups is very limited, in fact it is not there.

People who have tried that solution tell that it is a pia, when you know what a genuine B&O audio processing solution is capable of.

Besides, the BL5’s can not be used properly with a Receiver 1.

MM

Actually I was hoping for the decoding made by the B&O system and having the functionalities that come with it. I am a bit disappointed to learn that the BL5 could not be properly used in a Wisa based system with a receiver. Could you explain why? Thank you
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,294 Posts
Bronze Member

Duels:
Aussie Michael:

Thanks :-) LOL. I think i watched that scene a few times as i tuned out and clearly i tuned out missing what I came there for.

How odd. I did exactly the same.

Twinning :-)

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,647 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Jul 11 2019 4:50 PM
This article might explain why you missed it when watching.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1562849450&utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=World%27s+OLED+TV+production+to+double+next+month+-+B%26O+soundbar+in+the+works+-+HBO+Max+launching+in+spring+2020&utm_campaign=20190711_m152642647_FlatpanelsHD+-+July+11%2C+2019&utm_term=m-eclipsebrasstone_jpg

Page 4 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL