Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 68 Replies | 3 Followers

David
Not Ranked
Oxford
39 Posts
Gold Member
David posted on Thu, Jul 4 2019 9:07 PM

Thanks to Steve Devonshire for finally making this a real prospect

Bang & Olufsen, Beovision Harmony (VIP PRE LAUNCH + EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH STEVE DEVONSHIRE) - YouTube

All Replies

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,300 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the link to the YT video

However, i never heard him mention a B&O soundbar, only about the BeoVision harmony and that in time they can do a software update if you change your screen.

Did i miss another video?

Thanks

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
455 Posts
Founder

Aussie Michael:

However, i never heard him mention a B&O soundbar, only about the BeoVision harmony and that in time they can do a software update if you change your screen.

Thanks

There's a moment where he says that B&O is going to release a new product where he can't go into details yet which allows the customer to change the screen... Have a look/listen to it again :-)

Karel.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,201 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

... as to Beosystem 5 rumors.

The predecessors were all combined Audio/Video processors, but unfortunately I doubt there isn't any competence left to implement any video functionality, like something as simple like a TV tuner.

But since most audio today is carried through an HDMI interface a Beosys 5 needs an HDMI matrix, a SOC to extract the audio and the appropriate codecs witch undoubtedly will be reflected on the price tag 

Or the Beosys 5 could simply be a revamp of the Core, i.e a simple digital audio switch.

Whats you take ?

When people talk about a ‘BeoSystem 5’, I am sure most of them don’t think of any video processing.

It should be clear that - since the cooperation with LG - there is no need for tuners and video processing in a ‘BeoSystem 5’/a remake of the old boxed concept (if there should ever be such a device).

Why waste time ‘discussing’ tv tuner or video processing - yes or no!

How the ‘BeoSystem’ works in the BV Eclipse is clearly described here:

https://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2017/09/15/bo-tech-its-not-just-a-soundbar/

I guess the BeoSystem in the BV Harmony will be very similar.

What I see as a future possibility is an updated version of this.....as a standalone device (for an LG-tv of your own choice).

The only ‘’update’ needed would be a more modern HDMI chipset and a new form factor.

If there ever should be a new BeoSystem’ (in a box), I guess it would be something similar to what is described in the linked article......only without the built-in 3.0 speaker part (but with appropriate PL outputs instead).

However, what now seems to be announced is something different, something much sleaker.

Whether that will be of any use for us (read: those who write/read this thread) or not is a big question.

Maybe something for a second tv - something for a linked room, where you won’t need a fully fletched ‘BeoSystem’.....or something for new costumers, who want ‘better sound’.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
631 Posts
Silver Member

Millemissen:

It should be clear that - since the cooperation with LG - there is no need for tuners and video processing in a ‘BeoSystem 5’/a remake of the old boxed concept (if there should ever be such a device).

That is not clear at all, why would you deliberately exclude 85% of the TV market. I.e all the rest of the manufactures?

I would love to get the B&O experience in "a box" that has everything and simply connects to any display technology using a single cable!

Besides Geoff is not really explaining anything, he just stating the obvious. The video switch, the audio extraction and decoding capabilities are completely left out.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
631 Posts
Silver Member

poodleboy:
They never had an HDMI matrix before, so I really doubt there is any energy to be last and most expensive in that market. 

Although i should properly have written "switch" the Beosystem3 is actually a 4*2 HDMI matrix!

Image result for beosystem 3 hdmi

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,791 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jul 9 2019 10:50 AM

So annoying, the board keeps publishing my replies twice! Ignore. See below.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,791 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jul 9 2019 10:50 AM

BEOVOX141:

Millemissen:

That is not clear at all, why would you deliberately exclude 85% of the TV market. I.e all the rest of the manufactures?

B&O cleared most of their video processing developers a few years ago and made it clear they'd move on from this market. We are not getting a BeoSystem 5 with video processing nor do we need one - Millemissen is very right in this regard. This is now LG's department. B&O is focussed on audio and integration.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
631 Posts
Silver Member

moxxey:
B&O cleared most of their video processing developers a few years ago and made it clear they'd move on from this market. We are not getting a BeoSystem 5 with video processing nor do we need one - Millemissen is very right in this regard. This is now LG's department. B&O is focussed on audio and integration.

How do you think the HDMI signals are switched if not in a video (HDMI) switch? You already paying for the SOCs why not use them to the full extend?

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
455 Posts
Founder

BEOVOX141:

I don't follow that reasoning... Currently almost all screens have excellent videoprocessing onboard. Why would you reinvent the wheel only to come to the conclusion that your wheel is also round.

There was a time that B&O was clearly ahead in video processing when screens were "dumb" and didn't have (good) video processing. 

The market has moved on and B&O made a good decision to no longer pour money in a black hole when LG's video R&D vastly exceeds B&O's capabilities.

Karel.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
231 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

poodleboy:
They never had an HDMI matrix before, so I really doubt there is any energy to be last and most expensive in that market. 

Although i should properly have written "switch" the Beosystem3 is actually a 4*2 HDMI matrix!

Image result for beosystem 3 hdmi

If you want to be right, so be it. But it is misleading to refer to the BS3 as HDMI matrix. 

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,417 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jul 9 2019 12:45 PM

I think BeoVox means "why not make a box that can be used as a hub for all TV brands, not just LG".

I think / hope he understands that this box won't do any image / PQ processing per se, but wants the one box to be the heart of an ecosystem, handling video switching and audio management, be it TrueImage or something similar, NL multiform etc.

Anyway, lets all assume we all understand this.  If this is what you want, I dont believe its coming soon, and will likely be part of a centre channel speaker a la Eclipse sound centre.

Anyway, the much simpler upcoming Sound bar might give some clues as to future directions.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
536 Posts
Bronze Member

kuyttendaele:
The market has moved on and B&O made a good decision to no longer pour money in a black hole when LG's video R&D vastly exceeds B&O's capabilities.

...and it might even make the B&O solution a bit better priced than the average "full" BeoSystems 3&4 were as there will be no video-processing part. Not too bad neccessarily.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,672 Posts
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael:

Thanks

M

Here an excerpt of the video highlighting the mention of the sound bar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1VpQP5BLc

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,201 Posts
Bronze Member

Sandyb:

Anyway, lets all assume we all understand this.  If this is what you want, I dont believe its coming soon, and will likely be part of a centre channel speaker a la Eclipse sound centre.

Anyway, the much simpler upcoming Sound bar might give some clues as to future directions.

I agree with Sandy there.

One of the reasons would be that they/B&O would have to ‘invent’/make/sell a dedicated center speaker....and that it would force people to buy additional speakers in order to have a working (at least) 3.0 speaker system.

——- It might be possible to release a 3.0 speaker unit or make the coming soundbar so that it could be used as a ‘switchable’ combination of a 3.0 and 1.0 speaker.....but is not likely to happen IMO. ——-

If anything is coming, it will be a combined sound center/3.0 speaker combination ( a la Eclipse sound centre)

The advocates for the boxed-BeoSystem-solution are generally those who want to use their existing speakers AND a former dedicated center speaker ( BL4/10) from the secondhand market.....I am pretty sure that this will not be considered ‘profitable’ in Struer.

This said we don’t know anything yet.....and maybe all are too optimistic.

Like Sandy writes : maybe the coming doundbar will give us some hints.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
807 Posts
Gold Member
Millemissen:

The advocates for the boxed-BeoSystem-solution are generally those who want to use their existing speakers AND a former dedicated center speaker ( BL4/10) from the secondhand market.....I am pretty sure that this will not be considered ‘profitable’ in Struer.

I agree with MM. I would love nothing more than an updated AV7000 with 4K HDMI switching, 7.2.4 Dolby atmos output on powerlink, PUC, and perhaps Audio Aux link to tie into the rest of my pizza boxes. I’d like it in both polished aluminum and white. It would need to come with a BROne that’s backlit to work in a darkened room. I’d buy two of these at $5k each - and they might sell a handful more. The market is just too limited.

That being said, wouldn’t a BeoSystem 5 that could tie any screen to any Beolab speakers be an attractive option? Release an updated Beolab 7.4 or 10 for a viable center channel.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Page 3 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL