rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 82 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member
Craig posted on Wed, Jun 12 2019 7:05 PM

Following on from Peters BM8000 I have decided to take a look at this unit, came by way of Solderon (well I have to have something to occupy my time!) I'm not sure about these "modern day" pieces, prefer the metal and wood construction...and the micro-computer thing is also daunting, but they do look rather slick with the digital display.  

All Replies

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

Swarf... I was looking for that exact word Big Smile

Do the contact fingers on the PCB have a golden or a silverish luster? Difficult to judge from the picture.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 3:37 PM

They have a more silver finish....I don't know if they are actually coated with a noble metal like a lot of relay contacts, they look in pretty good shape once the small amount of dust/discolouring is cleaned away

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Ok....decision made, die is cast...and new sticky back plastic is on order, 70 micron thick....forrest green in colour. The first task will be to remove all the old adhesive from the board, the plastic sheet came away reasonably well but it wont be getting re used ;¬)

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

From the looks of the picture it looks like a lot of the T- junctions have been cut in a drill operation?

If that is the case its a telltale sign that the surface protection is electroplated. I am guessing its silver, but the lack of any tarnishing is unusual,- nickel perhaps? Today this would be done using a much cheaper immersion gold (or sliver) process. Impressive to see the level of brute force (best of the best) engineering the guys put into the 6000!  

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Looking closely at the T-junctions I'm finding it difficult to determine the process used to cut them out, there are no signs of machining, however they are very well put together whichever method was employed. Spent a lot of time cleaning and plating these contacts considering I will be covering everything in sticky back plastic in a few days......

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Sticky back plastic sheet was delivered today....cut to size ready to peel back the paper backing and apply....

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

cut to size and offered up to the board, paper peeled back and plastic affixed, made the cut outs and all looks good...…...

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Control panel re assembled and ready to go...…….

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor replied on Wed, Jul 10 2019 10:11 PM

Craig:

Sticky back plastic sheet was delivered today....cut to size ready to peel back the paper backing and apply....

Can you share what type of backing you bought and where you sourced it?

Thanks,
sonavor

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks. I hadn't looked at that material before. It looks like the right replacement for these button panel backings.

-sonavor

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Tone control board next...dial cord will have to be re-fitted when I'm finished, always have fun with those.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Had to remove this board to get at the two tantals sitting right in front of the tunning motor, will give that a coat of looking at too, and the feedback pot while the board is out.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Theres a lot to be said for these modular boards with the plug connectors, makes things much easier to access....

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Micro computer next in the barrel...….

Page 5 of 6 (83 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL