BeoSound 4: Noise when using RCA and Masterlink Inputs

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

jacobwb
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
jacobwb posted on Sat, Jun 1 2019 11:25 AM

During a move and subsequent re-installation of a BeoSound 4 system, I decided to make some additions to the setup so that it fits better with my "modern media" setup.

Specifically, I connected the TV to the system so I can enjoy the sound of my Beolab 4 speakers for movies. 

Furthermore I purchased a special cable (masterlink to minijack), allowing me to wirelessly play music through a connected Airport Express.

I've attached a diagram of the entire setup, to give you a quick overview of the individual parts and how they've been connected. 

The problem: I'm able to enjoy TV sound through the RCA connection (a.aux). I'm able to enjoy music through the Masterlink connection (n.music). However, if both are plugged into the BeoSound 4 inputs at the same time the speakers immediately start to send noise/crackling.

This happens even if both the TV and Airport Express is off / not sending any music to the stereo.

I suspect it's a setting issue on BeoSound but I am not quite sure which. Happy to share more info if needed, hope someone can help solve this mystery.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,808 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Welcome to BeoWorld!  The minijack to Masterlink cable is likely to be the cause of the issue here, as this isn’t normally intended for this purpose (it is meant to connect a portable music player to a Beolab 2000 speaker, not to the Beosound).

I recommend connecting the player to the Aux In (RCA) sockets instead, this should resolve the issue.  Please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below if you would like any help with the right cable to do this.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,808 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Welcome to BeoWorld!  The minijack to Masterlink cable is likely to be the cause of the issue here, as this isn’t normally intended for this purpose (it is meant to connect a portable music player to a Beolab 2000 speaker, not to the Beosound).

I recommend connecting the player to the Aux In (RCA) sockets instead, this should resolve the issue.  Please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below if you would like any help with the right cable to do this.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,121 Posts
Bronze Member

Note:

Steve knows this, since he originally made the cable.

If you want both devices connected in a fairly easy way, you could use an AUX-expander to switch manually between both.

There are several to have - maybe Steve (SoundsHeavenly) can provide one?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,808 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks MM,

Yes, here is an example of a suitable Aux Expander box to allow up to 4 devices to share the Aux In sockets of the Beosound:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/music-input/18-419-aux-input-switch-box-for-multiple-input-devices-to-one-aux-socket-4-way.html#/36-output-5_pin_din_aux

The Masterlink socket is not a direct audio input, this is to share the Beosound with other B&O devices across a network.

If you wish to make use of the minijack to Masterlink cable, this will connect a music player or bluetooth receiver directly to a Beolab 2000 speaker, this is its only intended purpose.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

jacobwb
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Steve - guess I was too fast to get that Masterlink to Minijack cable. I'll give that Aux Expander a look.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL