Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beosound Core as a replacement for a classic beosystem?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 0 Followers

henrik
Top 150 Contributor
Sweden
429 Posts
Bronze Member
henrik posted on Sun, May 26 2019 7:55 PM

Hi all,

I have a Beosystem 7000 that has been the core of my B&O network since the mid-90s. It is still used on a daily basis as lights controller (using its timer) but most of all as a sound system for my livingroom tv and the tv's various sources.

However, the only integrated source that I'm still using in the BS7000 is the FM radio. The beocord and the beograms are in need of service. Also, I've never been impressed with the sound quality of the PL outputs – I used the amplified outputs (and passive speakers) until 2012 when I replaced my old beovoxes with a pair of pentas, and since 2017 I use Beloab 3s and a Beolab 11 instead. The sound quality issue may be a fault in my particular BM7000, if I connect my Beolabs to a different system (I've tried them with my V1 and my BC9500 (currently in use in my summer house)) they sound much better than connected to my BS7000.

This has made me curious about replacing the BS7000 with a more contemporary solution, and I wonder if a Beosound Core would be useful.

Questions:

if I would replace the BS7000 with a beosound Core, what would I lose?

1. Does it have tone controls?
  2. Does the Core adapt to different Beolab models (just like the beovisions do)?
  3. Is it capable of bass management like in the TVs? Currently my BL3s are connected to the BS7000 via the BL11 in order to lessen their bass burden, can that be done in the Core instead?
  4. Would a Core be part of a multi-room system with the Beoplay V1 that I have in my kitchen? If so, would the audio be in sync?
  5. Would some of the Core sources be available also via the kitchen V1 (and vice versa)?
  6. I've read that the Beoremote 1 may be used as a remote control. IR and/or BT?
  7. How much is controllabe using the BR1? Can the BR1 handle most easy tasks (source selection, voume, on/off and such) or would I have to use the app even when I just want to switch on the Core for playing TV sound?
  8. Do you feel that a Core solution is as good or conventiant as a more traditional setup?

Thank you for reading, looking forward to read your comments (if you have any)

My current setup:

Beosystem 7000
 - Beolab 3 and a Beolab 11. The BL3s are connected via the BL11, the BL11 is connected to the BM7000

External sources:
 - Samsung TV connected to A.Aux on BM7000
 - - AppleTV and BD player (with Spotify Connect) connected to Samsung TV via HDMI
 - Airport Express connected to A.Tape2 on BM7000 

Separate systems in other rooms:
 - Beoplay V1 + AppleTV in the kitchen
 - MX4000 + AppleTV in the bedroom (connected to the BS7000 via an MCL2AV, but the 2AV died some time ago) 

Possible future setup:

Beosound Core
 - Samsung TV (and its peripherals) connected to the digital input
 - network connection and thus access to streaming services and my music library (via DLNA)
 - BL3s/BL11 

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

A very short answer:

I’d say yes and you could use the BROne/BT for volume contolling and for choosing your (net) radio...

(N.B. you won’t need the Airport Express anymore and you have Spotify Connect integrated in the Core).

I’d say no, if you rely on wanting to still use it ‘on a daily basis as lights controller (using its timer)’ - that won’t work with the Core.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
481 Posts
Silver Member

henrik:
if I would replace the BS7000 with a beosound Core, what would I lose?

The FM radio and the light control.

henrik
Top 150 Contributor
Sweden
429 Posts
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Sun, May 26 2019 10:25 PM

Millenissen and Beovox141, thank you for your comments! 

Regarding fm: yes, and web radio will do fine

Regarding light control: I’d actually keep the bm7000 for light control (and some other furies via MCL). 

Is the Spotify Connect feature in the Core of use for the V1 (different room, same LAN) as well?

henrik
Top 150 Contributor
Sweden
429 Posts
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Sun, May 26 2019 10:27 PM

*duties, not furies! :)

(sorry, can’t edit my previous post due to using my phone)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

henrik:

Is the Spotify Connect feature in the Core of use for the V1 (different room, same LAN) as well?

Sure, you just Join in to an ongoing session send to your Core!

You can stop/start, skip tracks etc from there as well....

MM

henrik
Top 150 Contributor
Sweden
429 Posts
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Mon, May 27 2019 9:03 PM

Ah, thanks MM!

It's a bit silly – I use the app every morning to start the web radio streaming on my V1, but since my V1 is my only B&O that's compatible with the app I have no idea of how multi-roo etc works in this "new world". I haven't been able to find much documentation.

Anyone who knows the answer to questions 2 & 3 in my original post?

Kind regards,
Henrik 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

henrik:

Anyone who knows the answer to questions 2 & 3 in my original post?

Since you have your BL3’s connected to the BL11, you have bas management there - the Core won’t offer bas management like a BV can.

You can choose your speakers from the list - the pic shows my Essence, but it will be the same with the Core.

henrik
Top 150 Contributor
Sweden
429 Posts
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Mon, May 27 2019 10:18 PM

Thanks again MM.

Ah ok. I wasn't really expecting a product at the Core's price-point to have bass management, but I hoped to be wrong :) My BL3s are currently connected to the BS via the BL11, but I've found that they are not  a good match – I guess the BL11 is tuned to be used in combination with some other speakers (maybe the BL4000?), because it's like there is a hole in the upper bass register when running the BL3s via the BL11. I've tried the BL3+11 combo with my V1 (using its bass mgmt instead of relying on the HPF in the BL11), and it sounded much better than when I run the BL3+11 from my BS7000.  

I should probably get a Beosystem 4 or a Beovision (and maybe also replace the BL11 with a BL19), but that would be much more expensive than buying a Core.

Anyway, even though the Core does not seem to be the ideal solution to get the most out of my current beolab setup, it still seems like an option that I should try. ...so I'll get a Core and see how it performs. Thanks for you commernts!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL