Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab 18 are coming... But is it a suitable place for them?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member
Bazzinga Smile [:)] posted on Wed, May 22 2019 7:01 PM

Good evening everyone! I'm planning to buy beolab 18 and put it in this room. However there is a problem-this room has high ceilings. I tried it with my beoplay A9 and sound bounces right and forth(in a bad waySmile). I was listening it sitting on the sofa- the A9 was on the opposite side of the room. Especially bass was sort of overloaded and bounced a lot.
What can I do in this room to decrease the level of reverberation?

Attaching links -photos of the room. Sorry, didn't understand how to attach photos directly on the thread :(

https://ibb.co/095BMG9

https://ibb.co/7zFYpZ7

P.S. the fountain is not made from stone - this is some sort of foam plastic.

Thank you very much for your attention to this thread!

All Replies

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
742 Posts
Gold Member

simplest is to try different placement and figure where the bass gets trapped and amplified the most.

next thing might be to tune it in such a way that it bothers you least.

third, get a bigger rug/carpet for the space.

I personally don't see any issues that would hinder bl18's. :)

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

thanks for the advice, Miki! Yeah, maybe that beolab 18s scanning technology will fix this! Actually I'm planning to setup them near the sofa - left and right. Maybe It'll be better sounding experience than beoplay A9s placement

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
742 Posts
Gold Member
Iam not sure what you mean by scanning technology? They’re not “smart” speakers. My advice would also hold up for the A9. But if you absolutely had to have it in that place an rug would take out atleast the reflection from the floor and to the floor(if it’s a fairly thick one)

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

I won't sell A9, if you're meaning this :) It will be in another room. Wanna start my multiroom collection. Also thinking between BL 18 and BL 17 :)

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,270 Posts
Bronze Member

I think the 18s would be fine in this space.  The difference between this and the A9 is that the A9 is also on a natural backward leaning angle.

Are you close to a B&O dealer - could they come to give you a home demo?

If you're considering the 18 and 17, in time you might add a BL 19 subwoofer which you can place in a corner or wherever you want.

What are you planning to run them with? A BeoSound Core? or do you have something already 

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
742 Posts
Gold Member
That’s what i thought, but i meant that if you put the a9 in a different place in the same room it can sound different to where you sit. Not all places in the same room give the same reflections to where you sit. Iam still not sure what you meant by scanning technology? As the 18’s or 17’s don’t do that. Only 50’s and 90’s have that ability (or the new A9 mk4 but you haven’t mentioned that before)

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member
Bazzinga replied on Wed, May 22 2019 11:06 PM

Yeah, I've contacted them and I'll do a home demo in the nearest future.
Yeah, with a beosound core. As for now, I have only A9 from B&O :)

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member
Bazzinga replied on Wed, May 22 2019 11:13 PM

Oh, I'll try that, thanks! Maybe I'll put it near the windows so it won't sound directly to the sofa and a corner there.
Oh, I messed up with scanning, you are right! 50s and 90s are the dream. Some day ... :)
I have A9 mk2

Btw Miki, nice youtube channel , I enjoyed watching 2 beotalks with John from B&O Manchester!
As I know you heard a lot of B&O stuff, What would you recommend me to buy - 17 or 18? I love the design of 18 but I heard a lot of good words about 17s and they are cheaper. But I am not sure about the look of the 17s. I think they are not spectacular in terms of design. It easily could be B&W and other guys, you know what I mean? Maybe I am wrong and it has  B&O design genes in it. And the design of 18s is already iconic because of 8000

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
336 Posts
Gold Member

18's have acoustic lens, look smart and sound superb. Would highly recommend a sub to go with them though. Adds to the cost but also adds a superios sound thats to die for.

Then again, an 18/19 combo is getting close to the cost of Beolab 20, so perhaps consider them too!

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member
Bazzinga replied on Thu, May 23 2019 12:00 AM

I speaked with the dealer today about the BL 20s and they said that for now B&O stopped producing them. Maybe the update is coming or it is being discontinued! Was thinking about them too but high price for me.

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
742 Posts
Gold Member
Hi bazzinga,

Thanks mate!

Iam personally very biased towards the bl18’s and even i’d have them over the bl20’s if there was a sub/bl19. I know this is looks over outright performance, but they look so stellar and so does a bl19. The bl20’s are great, but look very “meh” to me.

With regards to the 18’s vs 17’s there really isn’t that much in it. The 17’s are slightly better with bass and the tweeters of the 18’s are much wider and there for better for general use(as in not sitting in a dedicated spot). The mids are more or less the same on both. I personally like them both a lot and can’t go wrong either way. I love the iconic looks of the 18’s but i also love how big the 17’s sound while looking so small. If i had a friend locally that had them and wanted to swap them over every 6 months i’d be fine with thatStick out tongue

Michael

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

Wow, thanks for the answer! Actually I have another offer on the Beolab 5's... It costs a penny but Its a pinnacle for me. The only thing that concerns me is that it is pre-owned and not from a dealer. Do you know if there are a lot of things that I should check when buying beolab 5's pre-owned? Are there a lot of issues with the beolab 5 and how much will it cost to have a repair on them? Don't know should I risk on them or not.

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

p.s and I don't know if this room is ok for beolab 5. I think it can be overkill and windows will be destroyedBig Smile

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,270 Posts
Bronze Member
Its news to me that the BL20s are being discontinued

Also 2 BL18 paired with 1 BL19 would be a little bit better than 2 BL20 in my opinion

Not sure where you live but you could definitely source a BL19 second life and it would be more than suitable.

Cheers

Michael
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL