Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Is this the worst speaker that B&O ever made - or the bargain you shouldn't ignore?

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,385
Gold Member
Steve at Sounds Heavenly Posted: Tue, May 14 2019 1:47 PM

Hi Beoworlders,

I thought you might like this video, which looks at possibly the most divisive speaker that Bang & Olufsen have made in recent years....  Do you love it or hate it?  Please watch and join in the debate via the video comments or in the thread below! 

https://youtu.be/cOXKT9GvSgE

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 677
Gold Member
Mikipidia replied on Tue, May 14 2019 3:14 PM
Kind of the bose of beolab’s Stick out tongue

All highs, no lows, it must be a........ beolab?! Lol

They still do look funky and retro cool thoughBig Smile

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,264
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Tue, May 14 2019 3:16 PM

I have a pair and bought them pre-owned without listening to them. I was always under the impression that they could be used as main Hifi speakers as one would often see them advertised with a Beosound 4. On trying them they definitely not main speakers but rather for a small room or for background music. They battle with bass at a slightly high volume. 

Otherwise they are nice speakers and I have put them in the study at home with a Beosound 3000. It works perfectly there. I really do agree that to punt them as main speakers is very misleading. 

James1980
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
James1980 replied on Tue, May 14 2019 3:26 PM

I have mine as rear surrounds along with my Loewe and lab 9’s upfront. Couldn’t be happier with them for what they do. Less than half the cost of used lab 3’s and I very much doubt there would be much if any audible difference between them given their role. Also happen to think they look great on their wall mounts, even better than wall mounted lab 3’s in my opinion. They were always more suited to table top or stands I think. 

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 595
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, May 14 2019 5:20 PM

I have a pair on stands in my bedroom.  At lower volumes, they're very nice.  Great imaging in the "sweet spot".  Look very good, too (which was the primary reason I bought them - my wife didn't like anything else).  I got a great deal as they were ex-demo with a discount on the speakers and the stands thrown in for free.  I almost bought a pair for my office, but decided on the BS2.

PaulGiles
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Bronze Member
PaulGiles replied on Tue, May 14 2019 6:31 PM
Haven Hotel in sandbanks have these rigged up to a BS9000.

Lots of them, ceiling mounted.
marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 448
Silver Member
marexy replied on Tue, May 14 2019 8:05 PM

Nice speakers till they work. My local dealer say that 30% Of them go to dust in 10 years. Power amp. fail. 

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 502
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Tue, May 14 2019 9:56 PM
marexy:

Nice speakers till they work. My local dealer say that 30% Of them go to dust in 10 years. Power amp. fail.

And the cost to repair outweighs something new like a Beoplay M5. Never been a fan of BL4’s.
marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 448
Silver Member
marexy replied on Wed, May 15 2019 7:21 AM

I have a pair in office and pair in bedroom. Nice sound.  If you wish some extra punch..should go with subwoofer.

Haven Hotel in sandbanks have these

yes ...check photos

https://www.tripadvisor.ch/Hotel_Review-g190727-d193780-Reviews-Haven_Hotel-Poole_Dorset_England.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=126896833

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 796
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Thu, May 16 2019 9:48 AM

I've not heard them, but the worst B&O speaker was maybe the X25? That was truly awful - I bought a pair once thinking they would be good.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,385
Gold Member

Thanks guys,

Can't believe over 1,000 people have viewed the video in 48 hours!  Great to hear all your comments - it has been interesting to hear everyone's views on B&O's more "humble" speakers......

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL