rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 677
Silver Member
seethroughyou Posted: Tue, Apr 23 2019 7:23 PM
Interested to hear from those that have similar experiences to me. Let me first say that life is short, very short indeed and if finances and life circumstances allow I try to work less and enjoy more time with fiends/family and doing the things I enjoy. I occasionally treat myself to little or big luxuries when the funds allow but with three little children there are limits to both money and I’m even more stretched for time. What i find interesting is the phenomena of friends and family who aren’t in the least bit impressed or interested in B&O if only to complement the aesthetics of their home. I don’t want this to degenerate into a poke at any particular product. B&O make mistakes in design, functionality and software like all the others. On the whole I think B&O represents something that few others can emulate in both form and function. Sadly my wife and nearly everyone else I know aren’t in the least bit impressed or interested. I’d like to think it’s to do with price but even if they were rolling in it, I’m quite sure they would continue to buy Bose sound docks to mount their iPhones in or buy a £400 TV from Costco. Yet, I know that if we won the lottery, my wife would buy an Aston convertible or take fancier holidays or upgrade to a Wesley Barrell sofa...and so would my friends. They would splash out on similar things whilst still maintaining a focus on experiences with loved ones. In the upgraded house, with the exquisite furniture and the sports car they would still opt for an IPod dock in their living rooms and a cheap and cheerful Costco TV. Am I missing something in the equation? Am I over estimating the beautiful form and lines of B&O?
beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,536
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 23 2019 7:41 PM

I've found that I sometimes have to keep my passion for B&O in check around some people who just don't understand. There is a concern that others might misunderstand that passion for materialism or even bragging about the luxury of the brand. I had once just recently started dating a guy and mentioned to him that I was excited that my BeoSound Moment was arriving that afternoon. He texted back something like "Oh. I got mine months ago. I wasn't impressed." I knew that he had no B&O but was taking jabs at my passion for the brand. After that, I lost all interest in the guy and never went out with him again. Life is too short to have room for the B&O haters.

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 677
Silver Member
beojeff:

I've found that I sometimes have to keep my passion for B&O in check around some people who just don't understand. There is a concern that others might misunderstand that passion for materialism or even bragging about the luxury of the brand. I had once just recently started dating a guy and mentioned to him that I was excited that my BeoSound Moment was arriving that afternoon. He texted back something like "Oh. I got mine months ago. I wasn't impressed." I knew that he had no B&O but was taking jabs at my passion for the brand. After that, I lost all interest in the guy and never went out with him again. Life is too short to have room for the B&O haters.

Don’t blame you. Perhaps I should start a dating website exclusively for B&O fans. Would make life a little easier!
benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
Posts 614
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Tue, Apr 23 2019 8:19 PM

I just think that nowadays many people cannot see any big difference between B&O and other good well known brands (Bower&Wilkins, Bose, Loewe, Sony, LG, ...). Even if they can spend a huge amount on B&O, they don't. B&O lost a lot of visibility (no or few adds in magazines, less and less shops) and many people don't know the brand or forgot it does still exist. I was a huge B&O fan when younger (I spared a lot and I was crazy when I was finally able to afford what I was dreaming of) and I still admire some design of the brand but I lost the faith in it, mostly because I pay less attention on the technical object itself.  I can live with good quality and I don't run anymore after the best available especially if the design has become less magical. I prefer the device to "disappear" and I cannot justify the huge price gap. Now that I could afford more easyIy B&O, I prefer for example a TV that you don't see when off in my design flat (like the Samsung the Frame) even if the quality is not 100% matching B&O. Many of my friends and knowings prefer to spend their money in designer furniture (which keep value over time), travels, and just enjoying their lives.

And another factor, especially when speaking about TV, is that the quality of the TV programs is becoming more and more low level. To watch a movie I prefer to go to a cinema an enjoy the people watching all together and maybe have a drink with friends after. To watch the news and advertisements a good Samsung or Loewe or... is enough for me. Speaking about audio quality, I agree B&O kept some advance in design. But again B&Wilkins for example have excellent speakers and in flats you cannot use the real potential of most of the high end audio systems / speakers (whatever the brand). I think I'm not the only one thinking like this.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,299
Bronze Member

I’m rather lucky in the fact that my wife is usually the driving force behind some of our more extravagant purchases!

What could some of the questions be for the website?

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 677
Silver Member
Chris Townsend:

What could some of the questions be for the website?

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

BANG OLUFSEN DATING WEBSITE - SCREENING QUESTIONS

Q1. Complete the following phrase:

There is a tv - and there is a .......

Q2. What were the first names of Misters. Bang & Olufsen?

Q3. How many CDs does a Beosound 9000 hold?

Q4. Look at the following and Select all images with DAVID LEWIS. Click verify once there are none left.

Q5. Cable swapping and valve swapping are crucial to musical pleasure.

a. True

b. False

Q6. An electronic curtain should open and close (select one and only correct option):

a. Quickly

b. No need for one

c. Slowly

d. Slower then a Zen monk waking

Q7. Complete the following phrase:

Sound is half the....
seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 677
Silver Member
Chris Townsend:

I’m rather lucky in the fact that my wife is usually the driving force behind some of our more extravagant purchases!

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Does your wife have any B&O sisters?

Errrr, sorry that might verge on little inappropriate.

Stick out tongue
beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,536
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 23 2019 9:20 PM
seethroughyou:

Does your wife have any B&O sisters?

Errrr, sorry that might verge on little inappropriate.

Or any brothers?
beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,536
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 23 2019 9:23 PM
I once dated a guy who eventually told me I was forbidden from uttering the term “brushed aluminum” anymore in his presence.
PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
PaulGiles replied on Tue, Apr 23 2019 9:25 PM
I did start a similar thread a coupe weeks ago but got immediately slated by one member.

Maybe mine came across incorrectly but it was along the lines of this one.

The BOSE wave would be a good example of a product that just works, people love and is very simple with great sound, good price point.

SONOS is another very easy sale and people love this too.

Where we try and get B&O in peoples thoughts is the integration with smart homes and the fact the products perform and look better that the competition.

Still love the brand though. It appeals to a select few and always has done although it still amazes me the amount of people that did not know they did TV’s and newer still wireless and Bluetooth etc.

They never set out to be mass market so it’s up to us to keep banging the B&O drum.
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,299
Bronze Member

Just ignore them Paul. There’s are those that seem to infect others nice positive threads with why they wouldn’t, or more probably can’t afford the stuff anyway. This website would be massively improved if we had an ignore button.

The perception B&O is an odd one discussed a few times, but never until now involving dating.  Beojeff you must have really talked that blokes ear off for him to banish brushed aluminium from your small talk!

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,536
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 23 2019 10:52 PM

Chris Townsend:

Just ignore them Paul. There’s are those that seem to infect others nice positive threads with why they wouldn’t, or more probably can’t afford the stuff anyway. This website would be massively improved if we had an ignore button.

The perception B&O is an odd one discussed a few times, but never until now involving dating.  Beojeff you must have really talked that blokes ear off for him to banish brushed aluminium from your small talk!

My reply to the ban against brushed aluminum was that he really needed to stop feeling so insecure around the BeoCom 2!

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,347
Bronze Member

beojeff:
I once dated a guy who eventually told me I was forbidden from uttering the term “brushed aluminum” anymore in his presence.

Off with his head Cool

So polished aluminium it is from now on? Left Hug

Q8. What type of aluminium finishes are there? 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,347
Bronze Member

The whole market place has moved as now many companies know that good design is their point of difference, so perhaps your friends and a good lot of other folk just don't get the wow from B&O that you do / many on this forum do because everything is quite decent.  

Don't get me wrong, there are some complete shockers out there.  Ick!

When you look at, what was, a B&O catalogue with impressive settings you think wow.  However, sometimes this doesn't even translate in the home setting or particularly my home setting :-)  

When i look at my BL18s i dont think wow, i think they look great, but they don't take my breath away - but maybe i'm just used to how good they are? 

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,375
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 6:44 AM
Aussie Michael:
Q8. What type of aluminium finishes are there?

Q9. Pronounce Kvadrat

Big Smile
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,399
Gold Member
TWG replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 8:50 AM

beojeff:

Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

That made my day, Jeff! I can fully understand YOU. :)

I'm called "Mr. Monk" (referring to the main actor of the TV series "Monk") by my family and wife because nobody is allowed to even do the dusting on B&O equipment except me. :)

I still love B&O and I care about the nice toys even if they need repair and care (just like an Oldtimer).

Unfortunately my wife lost faith in B&O. When we started dating she noticed some B&O things and admitted the beautiful design but after there was  too  much B&O equipment failing in a short period of time she's not positive about the brand anymore. Unreliability especially in that price range is a no go for her (ok, for me, too, but I still love B&O). She accepts my B&O fad and just smiles when I come home from my "laser friend" who is able to professionally engrave my small B&O devices with a laser machine. 
Many people don't know the brand or sometimes just think it's "overpriced designer crap".

Don't care about those negative comments as there are positive experiences with B&O and other people, too:

I already told this one, but it's still nice: On a bigger birthday party there where about 10 kids suddenly in the living room laughing and waving there hands one after another. There was some trouble about who was the next one to step up and wave his hands. By accident they discovered a Beosound 3000 and the magic doors and now they tested the mechanism to the max as it was about to open and close about 50 times. They had plenty of fun and kept searching for other "magic things" in our home that move or act "magic". 

Another funny experience was the double shocked face expression of a woman I dated (BEFORE I met my wife, just for the record Wink):
- 1.) when the Avant turned itself towards her as we wanted to watch a movie. 
- 2.) The phone rang and I used the B&O phone to turn the TV volume down. She couldn't believe and asked to be sure if I just turned the TV volume down with that phone. 

I love B&O and I will keep (buying) it until I'll die. :)

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,270
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 9:28 AM

I have to say that most people who come to my house are impressed with my B&O, either the sound or the design. Of course people who don't care about sound or design don't even comment. 

I had a couple of people over for dinner 2 weeks ago and they all ended in my bedroom after I had shown one guest the curtains on my BV11 and the turning stand. They were all super impressed and loved it. 

B&O won't impress everyone but generally I find that they do. 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,347
Bronze Member
CB:

Q9. Pronounce Kvadrat

Hehe

Q10. Which products has B&O used the same name more than once?
Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 817
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 9:54 AM

Firstly, like all of us on here I love the brand and have lots if it linked up in my home - my friends don't understand my love it  - have bought peices and been unimpressed only to move back to Bose or other equipment. 

In my own experience, I got into Valves and Vinyl and have a Valve/Linn system for main listening with Beovox M100-2 speakers and it is superb, in the other rooms where it is more social I have a linked B&O system and it works really well and I wouldn't change it - everyone loves the Beolab 8000 speakers even though they must be 20 years old and the Beolab 3500 in the kitchen still looks incredibly good. Most people are impressed with how easy it is to use and the fact that they can stream music easily and don't need a phone to control it or put on an internet radio station. 

with TV's my BV8-32 I eventually moved to my bedroom as I wanted a bigger TV in the cabinet it is in - the maximum size that will fit is 40" - so I took advice from friends and bought a Sharp UHD TV, soundbar and panasonic DVD - as I only watch stuff through Apple TV I didn't want anything with loads of clever features. But you get them anyway it seems. It has taken two weeks to get the picture to be just slightly better than the BV8 by switching off all the processing, setting everything to 1080 and functionality wise using a lintronic box to control it all. It is still not the experience of a BV and I will go back to one soon and use the cabinet somewhere else. So that's the last time I listen to friends who say it doesn't matter and you can do better with a non B&O TV. 34 years of the Beovision experience is too long to switch.

Another thing I have noticed from my foray into the Hi-end / Valve world is that when you see a picture of a setup on this site with B&O in it - people care as much about the design of the room it is in as the equipment - the interiors are elegant and lovely to look at compared to hifi enthusiast  rooms - I could not find one with Valve or hi end equipment that compared with any on this site! - I guess the argument will be that the music is more important than the look of the room - but who wants to listen to music in a messy environment - you wouldn't spend hours cooking a gourmet meal to eat it in your garden shed. The rooms that are good tend to not have anything in it or the equipment is hidden.

Beojeff - totally get what you are saying - non Beofans I am happy to talk too and be friends with, but I would never date one - my partner was indifferent but has grown to appreciate the brand and using one remote so never bothers with the room the main stereo is in and is now supportive in getting another main B&O TV again.

I guess the moral is each to their own, but thank god we have this forum to moan about or appreciate the brand and share stories.

matador43
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 494
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 12:02 PM

Aussie Michael:

Q10. Which products has B&O used the same name more than once?

That one is verrrryyy good!

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,556
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 1:37 PM

Q11. What was the name of the estate where B&O originally was founded/started.

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 244
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 3:44 PM

Q12. Which ...sound/vision  product had no software/upgrade  issues at all ?

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Beoplay A1,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,829
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 4:43 PM

seethroughyou:
Am I missing something in the equation? Am I over estimating the beautiful form and lines of B&O?

You should remember that we're a unique forum (mostly) for people who care about the brand. To actually come here and spend time talking about it, means we're all a few levels above even your average user.

With that in mind, of course we are very different. Possibly blinkered. Possibly very defensive. I've noticed certain people who have posted in this very thread used to be very anti-B&O (buying Loewe etc) and have come so far and full circle that they now claim others are being too negative, overlooking their previous posts. Sums up this board.

If you look at the average person on the street, most of these people have a different view and less passion. You could argue they can offer a more balanced view of the brand, the cost of the products and so on. And those views are also very important to the future of the brand. We'll most continue buying - hell we're on a forum for the brand - but we need to evaluate other people's opinions.

I've said many times that I'm finding far fewer people who are impressed with B&O outside this forum. Even current/old B&O customers have somehow migrated from the brand. My landlords were big B&O customers and still have two TVs, but will simply not consider another B&O TV. And they offer no real valid reason why they wouldn't buy one. Just tell me they won't. Strange. It's like they were burned by the brand (yet still own the tech). I know guys who live in the famous Royal Crescent, who spent £3 million on a home, who watch a BV9, but stopped going in to the Bath store years ago. When they bought a new TV for their kitchen, it wasn't a B&O. etc etc. Becoming a common theme. Old customers - not those on this forum - who are migrating away readily and easily.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 611
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 5:52 PM

Here in the States, B&O is pretty much an unknown.  Once in a while someone will know and appreciate, but usually it's total ignorance or, worse, "like Bose, but more expensive", or "that's what drug dealers/foreign oligarchs have".  I am kind of embarrassed about my large collection and usually hope no one brings it up.  I bought all of it because I liked it, not to impress friends/neighbors.  It's not my job to be a "brand ambassador" - a completely losing battle now that the nearest dealer is ~300 miles away, and there's no advertising to be found anywhere.  Sometimes my wife will say "show them your system", but she's been on the receiving end of enough dirty looks that she doesn't do this much anymore.  I'd prefer to believe everyone is just enjoying the music or movie, and not looking at the equipment (even as the TV silently glides away from the wall into viewing position).  I get the feeling some walk away thinking - he's either very rich or very foolish (I believe I must tend toward the latter, as I'm definitely not very rich). 

Stan

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,114
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 6:22 PM
I don’t care about other people’s interests it’s my own interest that is important for me. I like B&O but mostly because it’s always been something different. As a child I always thought “why do they do this like this, or that” and that’s something I’ve always been continuing to ask myself. It’s just an exception to a rule, and cool design with a different way of doing things. Just like using a Mac instead of a Pc. Think somewhat outside of the box.

If you don’t like it you don’t. If you like it you do. You don’t have to like it all. After all, as TS said, life is short. Just do something about it.
James
Not Ranked
Melbourne
Posts 45
Bronze Member
James replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 2:14 AM

I have lusted for B&O from an early age.  In many respects I used to see them as Apple - ahead of their time.  People love, and will pay for Apple, because it just works.  When I became old enough to actually afford to buy B&O initially I was convinced that this was the experience I was looking for.  Design and performance effortless combined.  My BV11 and the BeoLab 9’s filled my home with gorgeous sound and a beautiful picture.

Then I noticed that some cells on the TV were dead - on a $17K TV.  This was replaced without too much fuss thankfully.  Then Spotify was removed.  Then my M1 speaker started to play up, and still is highly unstable when streaming despite a highly stable mesh network across our house which everything else that streams has no trouble with.  Then I noticed all the dust behind the glass on the BV11 and after some years of use, what I thought was a great picture really was not that good with dreadful banding from the side mounted illumination of the panel often appearing on dark scenes.  My 12 year old Series 9 backlit micro-dimming Samsung LED panel was better in that regard.

And so, the romance has faded over the years.  Our main TV set is now a LG OLED running through a Denon amp and Monitor Audio surround sound speakers, all of which just work and cost about half the price of the BV11 alone.  The Monitor Audio speakers only lack the acoustic lens to sound just as good as the Lab 9s, the LG OLED is about 20% of the price of a BV Eclipse and the interactive menu works well, which I understand is an issue with the Eclipse integration.  A similar B&O setup would cost 10 times the price and while most certainly look more appealing, if the products don’t work well, and I am afraid my confidence has wained, this is not a risk I am willing to take.

I notice that on the B&O Facebook page today, one of their adverts which has popped up has 24 like and 1 share.  I get more action from posting a video of my Jack Russell doing something stupid.  For a company with as rich a heritage as B&O to have social media interaction as low as that seems very precarious.  Their only innovation at the moment seems to be making the same old product in different metal tones, which is hardly going to reinvigorate sales.

I really do wish them well, but I haven’t been into a store for a couple of years now and I don’t see much need for me to go any time soon.  Now I just need to keep my partner from Marie Kondo the left over speakers...

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL