This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 649
Silver Member
seethroughyou Posted: Thu, Apr 18 2019 6:39 AM
Our TV just died....yes!

Our Panasonic LED coating £1300 new aged 3.5 years has just died. It had a 5 years warranty and John Lewis has offered us £850 cash.

Naturally being a BeoFan my thoughts turned to a B&O TV. I'm after a BeoVision that was the last of the true B&O TVs that does not use Android which I hate. Somewhere I can hide a Blu-ray player and Apple box behind it. Uses one remote control that does everything. My frustration with our current TV is the terrible sound, difficult to hear dialogue and over powered by the music. Maximum size 55" as it's a modest British home. Used not new as my budget doesn’t stretch that far.

Any suggestions?
Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 329
Gold Member

Best bet is an Avant 55 first Gen or an 11-55.

Anything else newer is android based

Perhaps title could have been 'our NON B&O TV died"

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
Posts 1,078
Founder
h1npw replied on Thu, Apr 18 2019 7:26 AM

A couple of observations....

I think that’s a lousy offer from JL. I would be demanding the £1300, or a TV of the same value (which will obviously cost JL a lot less)

Would a new LG / Samsung not be a better propersition in terms of picture quality? I do take your point about sound quality, but a good quality sound bar / base fixes that.

I’ve never been a fan of B&O TVs...  Just too overpriced.

Cheers

Nigel

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Bronze Member

If you look here you can see that moxxey will offer his BV 11-46 for £1500.

I think this is relay good deal.

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
Posts 1,078
Founder
h1npw replied on Thu, Apr 18 2019 7:49 AM

Even for a non B&O TV fan, that does look very tempting!!!

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,248
Bronze Member
Android ones are actually the last b&o ones

I have a gen 1 Avant and a BV14. Both are excellent.

If I were you I’d splurge and go for an eclipse.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,766
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Apr 18 2019 10:45 AM

Rob - Danish AV:

Best bet is an Avant 55 first Gen or an 11-55.

I really couldn't recommend an Avant 55 1st gen. I had one and it lasted 3 months. It just looked like a 'first gen' 4K panel to me.

11-55 I would recommend. I owned one and loved it. Not 4K, but not needed for 55". You can use the most recent modern BeoRemote, hide older Apple TVs in the case and even hide a Sky box at the rear if the TV is in the corner of the room.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,766
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Apr 18 2019 10:48 AM

the_o_master:

If you look here you can see that moxxey will offer his BV 11-46 for £1500.

He *might* have a 11-46 for sale Big Smile. If/when I do, I'll pop it on the 'for sale' section as per forum rules. It will be approx 5 weeks from now.

What's happening here is I'm having to move out of my current apartment in June as the landlord wants to revamp the building. So, making plans around this. Part of me wants to move to the US and work with my business partner out there and setup officially (right now we manage the US from the UK), but then there's the dreaded visa issues (spoke with an immigration lawyer yesterday and she says it's becoming immensely hard to get setup in the US under the current administration) and the other part of me wants a simple move within the same town - if that happens I'll take the 11-46 with me.

If anyone has any experience or advice on getting a visa to help a business partner setup in the US, let me know!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,083
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Apr 18 2019 11:04 AM
moxxey:

I really couldn't recommend an Avant 55 1st gen. I had one and it lasted 3 months. It just looked like a 'first gen' 4K panel to me.

11-55 I would recommend. I owned one and loved it. Not 4K, but not needed for 55". You can use the most recent modern BeoRemote, hide older Apple TVs in the case and even hide a Sky box at the rear if the TV is in the corner of the room.

I still have my Avant gen 1 and don’t see any first gen issues. It’s not a backlit display and you come from plasma world so I guess that’s what you are referring to?

I still am surprised how good the picture is and the only faults is when there’s dim material as it can’t get as black as a thicker backlit screen or oled. Otherwise it’s stellar and probably improved with its updates throughout software.

As for the screen it’s a high quality ips screen with good colors and broad viewing angles. I love mine.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,766
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Apr 18 2019 11:20 AM

Michael:

I still have my Avant gen 1 and don’t see any first gen issues. It’s not a backlit display and you come from plasma world so I guess that’s what you are referring to?

The first gen Avant I had was awful. I found it to be ultra-bright (even brighter than the BV11), had panning issues under HD and so on. Also, SD looked terrible as I guess it was up-scaling to 4K. And quite a few British channels/programmes were still in SD in those days! Granted 4K might have been beautiful, but there was zero 4K apart from a few test videos on YouTube.

But, it was one of the first out of the factory, so was a true early model. Swapped it for a BV11-55 which I kept for quite a while. Just felt that it was a classier TV and the panel was more settled than the Avant.

The BV12-65 is a relatively recent (2 years or so) purchase, so only used to plasma long after the Avant 55.

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 649
Silver Member
There’s a Rolling Stones song called ‘I can’t get no satisfaction’. Well, the wife is the opposite when it comes to TVs at least... Not only has she shot down the idea of a BeoVision as “the biggest waste of money ever”, she can’t even see the point of an OLED. She only watches Coming Prancing or Best Baker of 201x and Triple xxx factor or whatever they’re called, otherwise it’s CBeebies for our toddlers so she asks me what’s the point of having a fancy picture. She’s angling for a £600 LCD Panasonic. She says 55” is perfect for her so she also knows what size will satisfy her.

https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-tx-55fx650b-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-freeview-play-switch-design-adjustable-stand-black/p3493452

I complained about the sound on our last Panasonic and her reply was that I hardly watch TV and I could just closer. If I’m honest, these are compelling points and I’m questioning my sanity drooling over Beovisions. May be I am more superficial than I thought and like a TV panel in a posh frock and a loud voice... ahhh well, you win some and you lose some. Money saved can go to my Moment as a Xmas present 🤣 B&O bless them, will have a hard time in coming years if there are more women like my wife out there!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,940
Bronze Member

IMO one should never buy the tv, that the wife wants.....unless that is for her own room 😁

Buy her a decent, big tablet - and get the tv that you want (and can afford, of course).

Please don’t forget - a BeoVision is more than just a tv!

On the other hand, if what you are looking for is just a tv, you might do as your wife tells you - at least then there will be peace in the house.......for a while

mM.

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Sat, Apr 20 2019 1:16 PM

@ seethroughyou:

If your wife has humour have a look in your wife's wardrobe, choose some of her expensive clothing and ask why she can't wear a 10$ shirt instead when arguing about the TV. ;)

She likes to dress up? And so does the Panasonic/LG tech, too: It wants to be dressed in some nice B&O clothing spiced with that B&O extra tech.
Explain the positive sides for her when watching her favorite content on a Beovision.

And yes, I see it the same way Millemissen does: Get the TV you want... otherwise you'll be angry or worried everytime you have to use that thing that you don't want and like.

sykes114
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
sykes114 replied on Sat, Apr 20 2019 3:25 PM

We (B&O Lincoln) have a MK1 BeoVision Avant-55" on a motorised floor stand, beoremote one, (sold originally Oct 2014) 1 year warranty. Can supply to if collected for £2600 or + £200 if you need an engineer to deliver it to you and do a basic set-up. Let me know if of interest. lincoln@bang-olufsen.co.uk

Thanks, Michael

pjk561
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Bronze Member
pjk561 replied on Sat, Apr 20 2019 3:56 PM

4 years ago I bought the Beosystem 4 as I have a number of B&O speakers that I wanted to keep in play. My TV at that time was a Toshiba 34" tube that I had for over a decade. My B&O dealer said I could get an Advant 55" for what I was paying for the Beosystem 4 but I stuck with the Beosystem 4. Due to TV placement issues I ended up waiting 2 years before replacing the TV. I'm glad I went with the Beosystem 4 option. True the Beosystem 4 doesn't do 4K but most material I watch (Broadcast TV with a ChannelMaster DVR+) isn't 4K and can be fed directly into the Beosystem 4. I do have an Oppo UDP-203 that plugs directly into the TV with an additional hdmi output that feeds the audio to Beosystem 4. With the Beosystem 4 option I was later able to buy a Sony A1E OLED TV and incorporate it into my B&O sound system.without issue.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL