rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 32 Replies | 1 Follower

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
675 Posts
Silver Member
seethroughyou posted on Mon, Apr 8 2019 10:05 PM

Been playing with the Moment and slowly getting drawn to it. Have the software problems been ironed out?

Is this a sensible buy as EOL?

Is Deezer still working with it?

Has anyone tried the STB CD player you can buy for it?

All Replies

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,435 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Apr 8 2019 10:32 PM

Its been fine pretty much since the big software re work a year or 2 back.

There's a reason the forums have quiet w.r.to the Moment these last 18 months or so..

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
675 Posts
Silver Member
Sounds like it has settled down into a nice audio product.

Do you recommend the STB CD player with it?

Does it handle Deezer Hifi please?

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,435 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Apr 8 2019 10:41 PM

I believe it does yes handle Deezer Hifi - other Moment users seem to without issue.

I don't have the STB CD player I'm afraid.

If you do think about getting one, message me if you like - I may let mine go for something appropriate, its pretty mint etc.

Turned into a vinyl junkie for my sins!

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,061 Posts
Bronze Member
seethroughyou:

Does it handle Deezer Hifi please?

Yes it does

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

laseralex
Not Ranked
64 Posts
Bronze Member

seethroughyou:

Is this a sensible buy as EOL?

Is Deezer still working with it?

I got my first one about a month after they went EOL and picked up a second one about 4 months ago, so I guess I'm happy so long as the price is right.  (Both where purchased used.)

I find the Moment to be stunningly beautiful, and that's the prime reason I have it.  The interface is honestly not any easier to use than the app on an iPad, perhaps a little worse, but is visually very pleasing.  I do like that I don't need to unlock the iPad then select the B&O app, and wait for it to open before controlling my devices.  I don't like that the battery life is insanely short when undocked.  I also don't like that I worry about damaging the controller when I have it undocked.  (I don't get the feeling that it is extremely fragile, but I also doubt it has the durability of an iPhone/iPad.)

Deezer works great, and without that I would find the device far less useful: the Moodwheel really depends on Deezer to be useful, as it finds music on Deezer similar to music in your own collection.

I *REALLY* wish I could control it (and my Beosound Essences) through Google Assistant.  So much so that I'm considering trying to reverse-engineer the control protocols and build my own interface.  I think the lack of voice control is my only real complaint, and that's certainly not fair for a product developed before anything was voice controlled.

Like I said, I bought a second one recently so I guess it is fair to I'd say I recommend it.  Get one at the right price and it should keep you happy as long as B&O keeps Deezer working on it.

2x Beosound Moment
4x Beosound Essence Mk II
3x Beolab 8000
1x Beolab 6000
1x Beolab 3
3x Beolab 2
3x BeoPlay M5
1x BeoPlay A6
8x Essence Remote

Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
296 Posts
Bronze Member
I can confirm that the Moment has overcome all software problems. It’s as stable as it should be. Use it hard wired though, where the Wifi is not that stable and you might experience drop outs.

I also like the concept of the music tablet. Very nice made and gives you a true B&O experience.

Short battery life is a pity. Deezer works perfect and I have a WD Mycloud for CD collection and works perfect for me.

Second hand prices in Holland around €1300, good value for money
seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
675 Posts
Silver Member
How long is the battery life on average?

Can you connect it to a hard drive rather than a NAS?

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,061 Posts
Bronze Member
seethroughyou:

A hard drive cannot ne connected directly to the Moment.

You need a DLNA server running on the platform of your choice (PC, Mac, NAS, Raspberry PI, etc ...) to expose your collection stored in the appropriate media.

NAS is the best option IMO (simpler, scalable, secure)

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
296 Posts
Bronze Member
seethroughyou:

Battery will last for about a day when on standby. Never experienced empty battery when in use but if you leave the tablet of the dock then you might need to dock it before use
laseralex
Not Ranked
64 Posts
Bronze Member

seethroughyou:

Long enough to get through any listening session, but you need to dock it when you are done.  It won't last 24h in standby, compared to a week or two for my iPad.

seethroughyou:

Thre is nowhere to plug in a hard drive, you need a DNLA server which can run on a NAS, on a PC, or on a dedicated DNLA server.  I wanted low power consumption when IDLE so I got a Raspberry Pi 3 and installed Twonky Server, following instructions I found here on BeoWorld.  Standby power consumption is therefore just a few Watts.  If you are comfortable with Raspbian or Linux it is pretty straightforward.  If not, the extra cost of the NAS is probably a reasonable investment.

That said, Deezer has a very wide collection of music, and I ran my first Moment for more than a year with just Deezer and TuneIn Radio before I got my DNLA Server up and running.

2x Beosound Moment
4x Beosound Essence Mk II
3x Beolab 8000
1x Beolab 6000
1x Beolab 3
3x Beolab 2
3x BeoPlay M5
1x BeoPlay A6
8x Essence Remote

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,316 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Apr 9 2019 9:30 AM
Fansastic:

Use it hard wired though, where the Wifi is not that stable and you might experience drop outs.

I recently hooked up my Moment (that used to be hardwired) over WiFi and it works well including the integration to my BV11. No drop outs at all, but the wifi is really good.

One usecase to mention is that I have a record deck connected to line in. Works great thanks to the auto sense.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,543 Posts
Founder

Here, it works well. 

Connected with a NL converter to my BV9 and Beogram 6500 connected to the sensing Line-In.

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
701 Posts
Bronze Member
Beobuddy:

Here, it works well.

Connected with a NL converter to my BV9 and Beogram 6500 connected to the sensing Line-In.

How do you make us of the sensing line-in?

With the B&O app having matured a bit, where do you see the advantage of a moment over an ipad with b&o app? This would give me spotify and i don’t need it he huge (ugly) charging station. Only advantage i can think of is the moods wheel, which seems quite cool. Was always hoping b&o may bring this to the app as well.
seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
675 Posts
Silver Member
steve1977:

How do you make us of the sensing line-in?

With the B&O app having matured a bit, where do you see the advantage of a moment over an ipad with b&o app? This would give me spotify and i don’t need it he huge (ugly) charging station. Only advantage i can think of is the moods wheel, which seems quite cool. Was always hoping b&o may bring this to the app as well.

You can’t play music from the app on an iPad. You need a streaming device of some kind. Unless you know of another way please?
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL