rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,043
Bronze Member
moxxey Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2019 6:30 PM

No comparison. I used to own the BeoSound 1 and returned it after a week. Just sounded a bit tinny.

I've always thought the A9 was the best B&O speaker - for the buck - that I've owned. Sadly I've sold my A9 as I needed something more portable (yep, the BeoSound 2) which can be more easily moved another room. Received it today.

Loads better than the BeoSound 1, but can't hold a candle to the A9. Can't get close. A9 is clearer, more separated, better bass, the lot.

I want the A9 back Crying

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,356
Gold Member
Get a mk3 next time Stick out tongue

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,465
Bronze Member
How about an a6?
Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 1,014
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Sat, Apr 6 2019 12:24 PM

Not easy to find a very powerful portable speaker to match the A9.

I don't think it exists!

The old BS8 or A8? I still own a BS8 and it's really powerful. Wink

However, i didnot listen to the BeoSound 2.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 280
Bronze Member

Steph:

Not easy to find a very powerful portable speaker to match the A9.

I don't think it exists!

The old BS8 or A8? I still own a BS8 and it's really powerful. Wink

However, i didnot listen to the BeoSound 2.

The A8 was a great system. If there was a optical input it would also be very nice TV speaker today. 

The A9 could evolve even more to different size and lighter weight. Circles are more attractive and practical market than hexagons.

BeoLab 12 (? the smallest one) was a very attractive speaker that was a failure in its time but could be interesting today. 

The V1 TV would still be very cool today and can be as simple or complicated as you like. 

Those not popular products are examples of real B&O Values that normally successful singles and younger families might own new versions of today and future. When you change CEO every year or so and you chase things that are bright and shiny it is hard to remember that B&O did many things right in the recent history, not just the pipe and slipper generation. 

tobeyone
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Founder
Mikipidia:

Get a mk3 next time

Or a mk4.......
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,043
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 5:02 PM

Aussie Michael:
How about an a6?

I had an A6 - far worse! It's the worst of all worlds. Neither powerful nor bright. It felt like a very mid-range nothingness. I barely used it.

I had the BeoSound 1 for a while, too. Sounds like what you'd expect - a decent but rather limited portable speaker powered by batteries.

The BeoSound 2 sounds better now I don't have the A9 and can't remember how good it was. If you only listened to a BeoSound 2, you'd think this was fantastic audio. Trust me, compared to the A9, it doesn't get close in so many ways.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 7:42 PM
We’ve had our Beosound 1 for a couple of months now and I was thinking it’s not tinny sounding but I just moved it onto a tabletop and the treble really took over out in the open. The top reflector makes it very directional to the extent that it’s good for overcoming having absorbent “furnishings” next to it.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,043
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Apr 20 2019 6:50 AM

Simonbeo:
We’ve had our Beosound 1 for a couple of months now and I was thinking it’s not tinny sounding

I always find I'm overly critical when I'm used to a certain sound. For example, as I used to listen to the A9 through the day in the office, when I switched to either the A6 (far more mid-range) or BeoSound 1 (sounded far more 'tinny'), you notice the considerable difference. With the A9, the sound is deep, wide, sounds like true stereo and powerful.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,497
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Apr 20 2019 9:04 AM
moxxey:

With the A9, the sound is deep, wide, sounds like true stereo and powerful.

A9 is a stereo speaker, isn’t it?

Can add that I swapped from the BS1 to the BS1 Mk2. I think the sound have improved and is more “open” than it used to be.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,043
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Apr 20 2019 1:01 PM

Hiort:

A9 is a stereo speaker, isn’t it?

Can add that I swapped from the BS1 to the BS1 Mk2. I think the sound have improved and is more “open” than it used to be.

A9 stereo? Well, I guess it acts like a 'stereo' setup, but surely you can only have true stereo from two separate speakers. You can hear the separation from the A9.

Good news the BS1 MK2 has improved sound!

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,497
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Apr 20 2019 3:27 PM
moxxey:

A9 stereo? Well, I guess it acts like a 'stereo' setup, but surely you can only have true stereo from two separate speakers. You can hear the separation from the A9.

I was under the impression that there are two separate speakers in the A9, thus delivering true stereo. But I may be mistaken.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL