BeoSound 9000 MKIII CD Scraping Noises On Vertical Floor Stand

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 1 Follower

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Bronze Member
MisterDarlin posted on Sun, Mar 24 2019 10:52 PM

Just setup my MKIII on a vertical floor stand and am experiencing scraping noises on CD slots 1, 3, and 4. CD slots 2, 5 and 6 play just fine. No skipping and no physical damage to CD's occur. If I lean the unit back about 15° all CD slots plays fine. When I had tested the the unit it was horizontal and flat on a table and all of the CD slots played fine. Noticed this afternoon when I setup the unit on the floor stand that the centering CD mechanism was already configured for vertical instead of horizontal which it should have been. Do you think this is causing the scraping noises? Is there a way to further tune the CD centering mechanism or do I need to buy a replacement rocker arm? Any insight is appreciated.

UPDATE

It's been about 12 hours since I mounted the MKIII on the floor stand and the scraping noises for CD's 1 and 3 have gone away. Maybe gravity has settled in? CD 4 still exhibits this behavior occasionally. If I open the glass door, it will usually start scraping but not as obnoxious as before. I shined my flashlight on the CD clamp during operation and it appears the bottom of 9121 2854207 clamper arm is making contact with the CD 4. The bottom clamper arm is much closer to the disc than the top. Maybe it needs realignment? I also tried this particular CD on the other CD slots and it will occasionally produce a scraping noise as well so I believe the disc maybe slightly warped. Probably a manufacturing defect since I just bought it brand new.

All Replies

petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
106 Posts
Founder
Have you changed the orientation settings on the back of the 9000?

Refer to pages 7-9 on the guide below.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/files/user-guides/BeoSound9000/beosound9000_referencebook_english.pdf
Peter
Top 500 Contributor
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
95 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Mon, Mar 25 2019 9:26 AM

...plus run TM71 and TM73 on vertical stand before playing CDs

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Bronze Member

petermc:
Have you changed the orientation settings on the back of the 9000?

Refer to pages 7-9 on the guide below.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/files/user-guides/BeoSound9000/beosound9000_referencebook_english.pdf

It was already set to vertical orientation before I mounted it on the floor stand. When the scraping sounds occurred I went back and fiddled with it some more but same result...

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter:

...plus run TM71 and TM73 on vertical stand before playing CDs

I will try this but my Beo4 currently cannot connect to my MKIII. Thanks for the tip.

Peter
Top 500 Contributor
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
95 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Tue, Apr 2 2019 5:22 PM

To make your MK III respond to Beo4 you have to connect it in A:OPT 1

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,147 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Apr 2 2019 5:56 PM

I can save you a lot of time here. If you adjusted the vertical/horizontal settings and it's still scraping - there's a further adjustment to the clamper mechanism which you can fiddle with.

However... I can't remember what it is. Geeked

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,177 Posts
Bronze Member

The carriage has to sit parallel to the bed of the 9000. Over time, a certain amount of droop can occur. The procedure for adjusting this can be found in the service manual.

Regards Graham

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

The carriage has to sit parallel to the bed of the 9000. Over time, a certain amount of droop can occur. The procedure for adjusting this can be found in the service manual.

Does this require disassembly of the unit?

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter:

To make your MK III respond to Beo4 you have to connect it in A:OPT 1

I didn't have any PowerLink speakers hooked up which is why it wasn't responding. I purchased a Speaker Sense Adapter from Steve so I'm good now. Thanks for the suggestion.

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

I can save you a lot of time here. If you adjusted the vertical/horizontal settings and it's still scraping - there's a further adjustment to the clamper mechanism which you can fiddle with.

Is this setting in Testing Mode? I tried TM71 and TM73 it didn't really help. I can see that part 9121 2854207 Clamper arm is misaligned. Anyway to adjust it without opening up the unit?

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,147 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Apr 14 2019 7:51 PM

MisterDarlin:

9 LEE:

Is this setting in Testing Mode? I tried TM71 and TM73 it didn't really help. I can see that part 9121 2854207 Clamper arm is misaligned. Anyway to adjust it without opening up the unit?

No, it's a manual setting done with a screwdriver I seem to remember!  I think you need to remove the glass (two allen bolts) to get to it.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,177 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

MisterDarlin:

9 LEE:

No, it's a manual setting done with a screwdriver I seem to remember!  I think you need to remove the glass (two allen bolts) to get to it.

You need to disengage the carriage to be able to remove the top cover if I remember correctly. It is some years since I did it.

You would be best advised to up your membership to at least silver and get the service manual where the sequence will be explained in an easy to follow series of numbered steps.

Regards Graham

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Bronze Member

Got it, thanks.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,147 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Apr 14 2019 9:10 PM

joeyboygolf:

You would be best advised to up your membership to at least silver and get the service manual where the sequence will be explained in an easy to follow series of numbered steps.

... or Gold in order to be in with a very good chance of winning some B&O !!  Big Smile

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL