rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Rolf 2
Top 200 Contributor
Germany
301 Posts
Gold Member
Rolf 2 posted on Sat, Mar 23 2019 5:23 PM

Hello, I´m currently using a BV 10-46. I´m now thinking about a BV with a bigger screen and integrated WISA. I like the design of the BV 10/11/14 series a lot more than the Avant/Horizon/Eclipse, so I´m considering a BV 11-55 or 14-55. In the Forum I read a lot about software and other issues with the 14 and it is not clear to me if they were solved completely. The 11 seems to be operating pretty well, but in my area it is currently not available with WISA integrated (talking about a used one). 

I now have an offer of a BV 14-55 which is a demo piece. The dealer explained me, that there are no known issues with this specific BV. I have not seen it yet, planning to do so next weekend.

If you could share your experience using a BV 14 it would help me make my decision:

- Are the issues with the BV 14 solved; if not, which ones are still there?

- Are there different versions like MK I, MK II, etc.?

- Would you go for a 14?

- What should I be looking for when testing the BV?

Would be very nice if you could give me some advice.

Kindest regards,

Rolf

All Replies

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,036 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Mar 24 2019 1:39 PM

Hi Rolf,

I'm fairly sure the issues are ironed out with the BV14.  I can say there's a demand for the BV14 with a few custom installers looking to get as many as they can for existing clients who want the 'last of the line' picture frame style TV.

Image quality and sound is superb. I'd buy one - but with anything B&O at the moment it'd have to be cheap....

Lee

Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
286 Posts
Bronze Member
My Horizon is oke now and will not be more stable than it currently is. Android TV is just not 100% stable. Apart from occasionally reboot and slowish response on remote I experience no problems on the TV side.

One thing I find still not good is the multiroom performance. It is the one product in my setup that has small drops out regularly, despite it is hard wired. Maybe B&O will solve this in the end but my guess is that the combination with Android just is not good enough and causing these problems.

Design wise the BV14 rules, for future stability I would go for the Eclipse
PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
105 Posts
Bronze Member
BV11 worth a look? Great design, picture and sound.

Motorised wall is just brilliant.

My MK1 works great with TX&RX too for the wireless speakers.

Just don’t use Deezer direct from the TV Sad

In combination with Apple TV it is great
Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,417 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Mar 24 2019 5:45 PM
I had one for 9 months and gave it back

Not because of the stability, but because of the picture quality. It’s fine, but has real limitations with dark scenes in movies.

The panel technology is worse than the 11-55, despite being backlit (the 11 is Edge lit).

I’m sure if you go and look at it in a store with regular broadcast tv you will think it’s fine. That’s what I did. But after living with it and watching movies or dramas with dark scenes I found it tough to watch, so it went back.

I have an Avant MK1 ( pre Android), and it’s a good deal better

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,300 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi

I ended up buying a BV14-40 for the bedroom.  As soon as i set it up, it did a software update to the latest version, so i haven't been doing a few software updates over time.  

I have no issues with the TV.  It was whatever the last version was, in terms of Mk. 

No issues, however, the BeoTool shows that it fails to check for software updates and that it's offline.  However, each night it checks as the light comes on.

Yes

- Would you go for a 14?

Yes.  If you can, get the smoked oak wood cover - it's very lovely.  

You should be looking how you use it.  I use it mainly with Netflix and Netflix is not supported on the TV, so i use it with an Apple TV which you can use with the BV easily enough and with PUC control. 

Deezer didn't work at first so i uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and it works as a different (better) version.  But i only used it once anyway as i use it only for Netflix. 

I also have a BV Avant Mk1 which is also good however the menus are different.  I had issues with the Avant just as the warranty expired and it needed new parts which cost a lot of money. 

On the Avant you can press menu and it takes you to the menu and when you scroll down you get remote control PUC settings like power, record, etc.  You can't do that on the 14 as far as i know. 

Rolf 2
Top 200 Contributor
Germany
301 Posts
Gold Member
Rolf 2 replied on Tue, Mar 26 2019 7:26 PM

9 LEE:

Hi Rolf,

I'm fairly sure the issues are ironed out with the BV14.  I can say there's a demand for the BV14 with a few custom installers looking to get as many as they can for existing clients who want the 'last of the line' picture frame style TV.

Image quality and sound is superb. I'd buy one - but with anything B&O at the moment it'd have to be cheap....

Lee

Hi Lee,

thanks for your support. What would be a cheap offer for such a piece? It was said that it has not so many hours runtime yet.

Kindest regards,

Rolf

Rolf 2
Top 200 Contributor
Germany
301 Posts
Gold Member
Rolf 2 replied on Tue, Mar 26 2019 7:34 PM

Fansastic:
My Horizon is oke now and will not be more stable than it currently is. Android TV is just not 100% stable. Apart from occasionally reboot and slowish response on remote I experience no problems on the TV side.

One thing I find still not good is the multiroom performance. It is the one product in my setup that has small drops out regularly, despite it is hard wired. Maybe B&O will solve this in the end but my guess is that the combination with Android just is not good enough and causing these problems.

Design wise the BV14 rules, for future stability I would go for the Eclipse

Thanks for your experience which I take as a vote for the 14 if I´m willing to accept some (smaller?) issues. I usually tend to go for the design. I will check the multiroom functionality, thanks for the hint.

I was really waiting for the Eclipse to be unveiled as the first OLED B&O BV, but the design cannot compete with the 14 series. And then, I read that some of the classic B&O features are missing which I value.

Kindest regards,

Rolf

Rolf 2
Top 200 Contributor
Germany
301 Posts
Gold Member
Rolf 2 replied on Tue, Mar 26 2019 7:44 PM

PaulGiles:
BV11 worth a look? Great design, picture and sound.

Motorised wall is just brilliant.

My MK1 works great with TX&RX too for the wireless speakers.

Just don’t use Deezer direct from the TV Sad

In combination with Apple TV it is great

After realizing that there are or have been multiple issues with the 14, I thought of a BV 11-55. I was looking for a MK III or younger version because of the integrated WISA function. In the net there are no such units available at the moment and the few other ones I can find are, from my point of view, overprized and/or not close enough.

My BV 10 is working as well with external devices such as Apple TV, which is really a good choice. "TX & RX" meaning Transmitter and Receiver?

Kindest regards,

Rolf

Rolf 2
Top 200 Contributor
Germany
301 Posts
Gold Member
Rolf 2 replied on Tue, Mar 26 2019 8:02 PM

Aussie Michael:

Hi

I ended up buying a BV14-40 for the bedroom.  As soon as i set it up, it did a software update to the latest version, so i haven't been doing a few software updates over time.  

I have no issues with the TV.  It was whatever the last version was, in terms of Mk. 

No issues, however, the BeoTool shows that it fails to check for software updates and that it's offline.  However, each night it checks as the light comes on.

Yes

- Would you go for a 14?

Yes.  If you can, get the smoked oak wood cover - it's very lovely.  

You should be looking how you use it.  I use it mainly with Netflix and Netflix is not supported on the TV, so i use it with an Apple TV which you can use with the BV easily enough and with PUC control. 

Deezer didn't work at first so i uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and it works as a different (better) version.  But i only used it once anyway as i use it only for Netflix. 

I also have a BV Avant Mk1 which is also good however the menus are different.  I had issues with the Avant just as the warranty expired and it needed new parts which cost a lot of money. 

On the Avant you can press menu and it takes you to the menu and when you scroll down you get remote control PUC settings like power, record, etc.  You can't do that on the 14 as far as i know. 

Thank you for your long distance support and sharing your experience Yes - thumbs up. A clear vote for the BV 14.

I will consider the smoked oak when I can see it live. From the distance I would judge the light oak a better fit for our interior.

Our household is in terms of private use an apple only place (although, I´m not so sure it will remain like this forever). I guess in case of buying th BV I´m using the apple TV with the 14 to work around the Android features. Netflix I don´t use at the moment.

The menu I will check for sure and I will also go to check the status, runtime, etc. Would be nice to have Deezer working, I´m using it already with the Moment.

Kindest regards,

Rolf

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
105 Posts
Bronze Member
Correct. The B&O wireless receiver and transmitter 1.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,300 Posts
Bronze Member
If you need to discuss or see any testing happy to connect over Skype. Just PM me. Cheers Michael
Rolf 2
Top 200 Contributor
Germany
301 Posts
Gold Member

Aussie Michael:
If you need to discuss or see any testing happy to connect over Skype. Just PM me. Cheers Michael

Hello Michael,

in Germany we say "the biggest problem is always seated in front of the PC". I´m not capable of sending you a PM. There should be a link in your account "start conversation" or "send an email" which I cannot find Confused.

Kindest regards,

Rolf

Rolf 2
Top 200 Contributor
Germany
301 Posts
Gold Member

Hello all,

thanks a lot for your help so far, here´s the current status.

I went to see the BV 14 at the dealers site. It is a black framed beauty with a light oak cover, being displayed on a motorised stand (whereas I need a motorised wall bracket).

I could test it very intense and, first of all, I couldn´t detect any software issues, it was operating smooth and flawless. The input came wireless and I was able to check the picture watching movie trailers, you tube videos and 4K demos. I went into the settings and checked ease of use, which works for me, and tested the different functions available (not multiroom). The unit had been delivered to the dealer at mid September 2018, so it should be the latest model.

Netflix app was there (which I´m currently not using) as well as you tube. The sound is really fine, far better to me than my current BV 10 (try Lizz Wright "Seems I´m never tired ...." Smile).

I watched the dark scenes closely but am not sure whether they were displayed better on the BV 14 or on my BV 10.

Operating was fine for me, although you cannot access the menu settings directly.

The smoked oak cover was not there. However, the light oak fits perfectly into my place.

I discussed and negotiated with the dealer and we were about closing the deal. Then I made a "mistake".

I asked to show me the demoed BV Eclipse he had in his shop as well. I could compare the picture of both units 1 to 1. The Eclipse has a far brighter picture, more brilliant than the BV 14. Dark scenes were displayed better in terms of contrast. The sound? It blew me away. Crisp and playing with a volume I´m not used to listening to the 14 or 10.

What I said about the design is still true for me. But the performance of the Eclipse is, at least from my short experience at that day, superior over the 14 and, of course, my 10. In such a way that I´m currently considering the Eclipse as the BV to go for.

Kindest regards,

Rolf

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,300 Posts
Bronze Member
I was also impressed by the sound of the eclipse. There is no other TV like it.

The PQ is more brighter indeed on the eclipse.

I find with 4K Netflix (via Apple TV) on the 14 is really great too.

Good luck with your purchase which ever direction it takes.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL