Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 1 Follower

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
486 Posts
Founder
frog posted on Thu, Mar 14 2019 6:26 PM

Hi,

I’m trying to auto switch on and off this tv, but there isn’t an IR PUC for the latest LG TVs. Previously, on a Beosystem 3, I used the serial port to receive the power on/off commands into a HDMI-CEC injector to switch on the screen. now I’ve moved to a beosystem 4, it isn’t at all obvious how I can do this.

ive sent this note into B&O support, but not really hopefull😒

To Beo Support:

I have a Beosystem 4 driving the above TV, but I can’t find a PUC to control the TV. can you advise me which PUC could be used - and if there isn’t one, how I can get one developed?

Secondly, is HDMI-CEC supported in the Beosystem 4? If so, can I access this to switch on/off the TV.

If that isn’t possible, I could use the serial control to switch on the TV, but I need to ‘fool’ the Beosystem 4 that there is a BeoVision 12 display attached so it will send some information via the serial port. could you advise me how I can either manually force the BeoVision 4 to assume a BeoVision 12, or at least let me know the commands sent via serial port to detect the screen type.

Thanks in advance

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,952 Posts
Bronze Member

In the Idea Catalogue you can read:

Set it up as a monitor and download the IR codes matching the TV manufacturer to BeoSystem 4.

If none of the existing codes are working, they can be made by you using PUCtool3

or alternatively send the remote to your local PUC representative to learn the IR codes.’

This means, that it is possible - and I don’t see, why a PUC for the LG’s should not be made.

You will have to contact a (good) B&O dealer!

Please post the result - I guess many will be interested.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
486 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Thu, Mar 14 2019 7:40 PM

Ah, that’s useful. Wonder how I can get hold of PUC Tool 3!

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
486 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 12:57 PM

Well according to B&O Winchester, the tool is no longer available to dealers and gave me B&O’s support number. Incidentally a guy at B&O Windsor flat out refused that you could use a PUC to switch a tv on or off! 

Anyhow, I’ve logged a call also with B&O, but I must say I’m not hopeful. 

The route that I think I’ll try is to use a raspberry with LIRC to read one of the TV PUCs and use a hdmi-cec injector to switch the TV on or off. Painful, but then without good support from the manufacturer’s supply chain, you need to rely on your own resources (and this forum). 

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,458 Posts
Silver Member

B&O has not been very active in updating the BeoSystem 4 PUC directory. There are only a handful of TVs listed. Sony is not even in the list. There IS an LG tv, but maybe it uses different IR codes? Samsung is very good about using the same generic IR codes. So I always buy Samsung screens.

I believe that BeoCare has more PUC entries that they don't provide in the BeoSystem 4 database. For example, they sent me the codes for several projectors that were not listed in the database.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,458 Posts
Silver Member

If all else fails, you could use the open collectors for CINEMA control to trigger a Lintronic code-coverter to send out the IR signal to turn your tv on/off. I have a post somewhere on this site with instructions on how to fashion a cable.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,952 Posts
Bronze Member

beojeff:

Samsung is very good about using the same generic IR codes. So I always buy Samsung screens.

On a sidenote:

I’d like to see how a Samsung QLED 8K Q900R performs when upscaling what comes from a BeoSystem 4.

For obvious reasons Samsung must focus on the upscaling engine with this tv.

I recently saw the tv (85”) in a store - it was pretty amazing.

MM

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
166 Posts
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 3:36 PM

I don't have the most recent LG OLED but the IR codes I would imagine have not changed. Yes their official remotes use a proprietary bluetooth remote, they still have IR receiver.

Even an old LG IR remote does work with my 2016 LG set, try one of the IR codes. Personally I use Logitech Harmony which supports basically everything and has very handy programmable macros for sequencing.

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
486 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:03 PM

Hi,

I tried the only LG screen they had in the database - and that didn't' work - I suspect they changed the remote codes when they went to the pointer remote.

@beojeff. I think I have two options really - both injecting CEC codes into the HDMI cable (that's how I managed the screen with the Beosystem 3). Either through the serial port again or IR to CEC - both need a raspberry, but I've used one like this for almost a year now and it is quite stable. The beauty of the Beosystem 3 was that you could tell the system what screen was connected - so I knew I'd get the serial commands - as there doesn't seem to be any option on BS4, I'll hope that they send codes anyway (though unlikely). Either way (and maybe B&O come through with a PUC) I should get it to work.

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
486 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Sun, Mar 17 2019 3:21 PM

While waiting for B&O, I went ahead and used a Samsung screen control, into a raspberry and used HDMI-CEC to switch the TV on and off (using a phase-eight dongle for CEC injection).

It’s reliable and less wires, so i’m not sure that even if B&O come back with a LG PUC, that I’ll change to that.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,952 Posts
Bronze Member

Fine - could you describe that solution more in detail, once you have the spare time?

Would maybe be helpfull to someone less tech-savy.

MM

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
486 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Sun, Mar 17 2019 6:36 PM

Well I first built the IR cable -to connect the Beosystem 4 to a raspberry pi (running raspian). This cable was RJ45 to two wires, with  2.2k and 3.3k resistors to reduce the output voltage from the Beosystem 4 from 5v to 3.3v acceptable for the raspberry.

i connected pin 5 (blue/white) to GPIO18 and pin 6 (green) to 0v on the raspberry and set up the Beosystem 4 to use the IR out to switch on and off the TV - SETUP,DISPLAY SETUP. I chose the Samsung UA75ES9000R PUC as Samsung don’t change their codes very often, but really any would do. When choosing the PUC it was important to select manual install (red button) as I needed to choose Plug and No Modulation as the cable was directly wired to the GPIO ports of the raspberry. I used PUC 1A (pin 5/6).

To receive the IR codes, I used LIRC - which defaults to receiving signals on GPIO 18. Tested it was working and downloaded the Samsung config file for the remote control. I installed this and saw what the Beosystem 4 was sending out. It transpires it sends the POWER button three times for both on and off

To actually switch on the TV, I use HDMI-CEC - which sends control commands to the TV via the HDMI cable.  To inject the commands, I used a Pulse Eight USB to HDMI CEC Injector https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.

Finally, to bind this all together, I wrote some code in Python to detect a POWER button from the Beosystem 4 using the libCEC library, check the TV state (whether it is On or Standby) then switch the TV on/off as required.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL