rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 79 Replies | 0 Followers

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,600 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher posted on Sun, Mar 10 2019 12:24 PM

As an old timer, I remember Beoworld not only being very informative but also a really fun place to post and generally hang out!

Sadly (and I say this with great regret) the "fun" element seems to have gone - have the fun people left and if so why? - have, in general, internet forums moved on to be inhabited by dry, PC types? - have the Beoworld old guard lost interest and faith in the new products or company (please differentiate in replies)? In short, what has happened to my favourite forum?

Ban boring signatures!

All Replies

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Tue, Mar 12 2019 5:44 PM

Don’t know about you old timers.....but I’m still having fun 😃

craig

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,600 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Mar 13 2019 11:24 AM

Craig:

craig

Ey up! How's things in Craig-land?

Ban boring signatures!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,074 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Mar 13 2019 12:11 PM

Craig:

craig

He's aliiiii-iiii-ve !!!!

One of the original BeoWorld crew from the olden times. How are you fella?! Big Smile

Lee

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
614 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Mar 13 2019 3:02 PM

It's been all down hill since PaulW and TripEnglish left. 

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
2,069 Posts
Founder
Stonk replied on Wed, Mar 13 2019 3:06 PM

Still keeping an eye on proceedings hereCool Enjoyed the bants (my daughter would roll her eyes if she saw me use that word)

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,600 Posts
Bronze Member

Stonk:

Still keeping an eye on proceedings hereCool Enjoyed the bants (my daughter would roll her eyes if she saw me use that word)

Stonk!! You've been missed .... but I've upped the contract!Devil

Ban boring signatures!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,328 Posts
Gold Member

Stonk:

Pipe and slipper types slowly showing that they are still there, waiting for Valve 1, the drunken Irishman

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,316 Posts
Gold Member

Yay!

Hello everybody. I confess not posting much lately. Just not enough time - there was a time when I actually read everything on Beoworld apart from some uninteresting topics in foreign language. Currently my list of "not read" topics spans some 90 pages Crying

I try to check the moderating queue a couple of times a day, and also scan the new topics in case there is something interesting. I do miss the silly WedThred days! I agree that these days people seem so easily offended that it is very dangerous to post anything "fun" unless you already know who you are talking to...

--mika

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,475 Posts
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Mon, Mar 18 2019 7:16 AM

Ola gringo ! I will drink to that BeerBeer .... while enjoying my B&O

Søren Mexico:

Pipe and slipper types slowly showing that they are still there, waiting for Valve 1, the drunken Irishman

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
6,029 Posts
Gold Member

tournedos:
I do miss the silly WedThred days!

Yeah, those were the days Smile

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,328 Posts
Gold Member

valve1:

Ola gringo ! I will drink to that BeerBeer .... while enjoying my B&O

Søren Mexico:

Nice to see you active again Eddie

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,475 Posts
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Tue, Mar 19 2019 6:04 AM

Søren Mexico:
Nice to see you active again Eddie

Thanks Soren, I have been here all the time. I think its simply a case of Im a"cable guy" ! All this streaming dropping and apps is beyond me.The best thing I have seen recently on Beoworld has been Dennis getting the 4401.

This has affected me in two ways - Beo envy and Beo lust , its been a long time since that happened. Big Smile

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
661 Posts
Gold Member
I’ve been reading this thread with great interest. Not sure if I qualify as one of the old guard (been a member for 10 years) but I would certainly qualify as one of PaulW’s ‘pipe and slippers’ brigade!

Like many others I’ve noticed a slight shift in the tone of the site, perhaps because many of the older members no longer post. Whether that means it is less ‘fun’, I’m not so sure. That shift is arguably to a less robust, more overtly ‘sensitive’ style of commentary perhaps designed to avoid giving offence rather than stating an opinion in a clear and forthright fashion. This may reflect recent societal change, most noticeably evident on social media, where challenging the accepted orthodoxy is risky and often results in a vitriolic response. Even some of our American members seem reluctant to fulfil their rights to free speech enshrined in their constitution!

Certainly though, much of the humour does seem to have gone with the loss of some of the senior members. I do miss many of the older posters such as Andy (jandyt). Whether this loss is driven by the shift mentioned above, by the older members’ increasingly pessimistic view of the brand’s direction of travel, its perceived or actual reduction in reliability or simply by a change of personal interest is open to debate. Nice to see a few older ones contributing to the thread to show they are at least still alive.

Certainly I don’t remember such a high level of complaints about quality and reliability when I first started as a member. There may have been comments on sound quality and the inevitable comparisons with other manufacturers’ kit but this certainly didn’t reflect a concern about the inherent unreliability or a lack of engineering excellence of the products to the extent it does today.

I’ve little interest in current products as apart from the issues mentioned above, they do not, to my mind, have the design coherence nor the engineering flair of the Jensen/Lewis years with the exception of the top of the range Beolabs and even they are not without some user problems. The only currently produced piece I have is the A1 which, whatever it may be, isn’t HiFi by any reasonable criteria. On the other hand it is an ideal, family friendly travelling companion for listening to music, podcasts and the radio when away from home.

Thankfully there are still a number of members who have been around for a time and who continue to provide help and guidance on the older products I still revere and use on a daily basis. With my membership up for renewal this month I fleetingly considered changing my membership. But I feel Beoworld is still a real community worth supporting financially. Like many communities some members occasionally rub each other up the wrong way but that is normal. I would hate the forum to become so effete that it lacks any real challenge or robust debate.

Cleve
Jonathan
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
1,806 Posts
Bronze Member

For me, and I don't type this lightly, but Beoworld got boring... Sorry.....

It became the same couple of people answering EVERY question or commenting on EVERY post in a serious tone. The good people left, the fun people got berated, and Wedthread disappeared to a different area so seemed to get forgotten

At the same time I got busier and less interested in Beoworld as it was just not entertaining anymore

x:________________________

Jason
Top 500 Contributor
Redditch Worcestershire
160 Posts
Bronze Member
Jason replied on Wed, Mar 20 2019 10:05 AM

If my flaky memory serves me right its been about 7 years since i posted, glad to see the Wednesday bunch are still alive , i remember it very fondly , convinced at one point that puncher was actually KEZ as a small boy 😂

Sorry to say i pretty much agree with johnathan. 

As for fun, well its wednesday today isnt it ?  

Page 5 of 6 (80 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL