Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

What is going on with B&O’s current TV lineup?

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 167 Replies | 1 Follower

Hero71
Top 500 Contributor
68 Posts
Bronze Member
Hero71 posted on Tue, Feb 26 2019 7:09 PM

I’ve been keeping an eye out for B&O’s TV line up for the past 8 months, ever since I overheard a rumour that B&O will most likely stop making TV’s. It’s no secret that shares dropped almost a quarter by the end of last year and the company has been struggling keeping up with the pace the competition is refreshing lineups and adding smart features.

I’m not sure if there is any truth to this rumour but the fact that the lineup has remained unchanged and is limited to two models for this long is not very reassuring.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

Aussie Michael:
Peter Pan:

@ Millemissen

I'll try again B&O should have made their Soundcenter so that it could be adapted to many TV models. It had taken a little longer time, and given a bigger sale.

I think it would be a good idea to open the concept up too

Easier said than done....if you want something that you can handle fluent.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,726 Posts
Bronze Member

My wife knows what I need.  One LG scroll-tv to approx. 55.000 Euro.  Stick out tongue

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
237 Posts
Bronze Member
Mistaken post
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

+1

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,726 Posts
Bronze Member

You have to look forward.
The world does not stand still, although B&O does not come with more tv.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
642 Posts
Silver Member

Millemissen:

Not really,- it has been done successfully since 2003, even earlier if you include the AV7000,-1993.

The beauty is you chose the display and you can mix and match the speakers to meet your specific needs. Best of all ONE remote!

However, if you insist on letting the display being a hub for everything, not only does it become unnecessary difficult (remembering the photos of your AVANT install) it also means you lose the whole B&O feel created by the elegant Beofont menus, the curtains or Vision Clear. The Beosystem allowed any display to be part of a Beoexperience in every way, as opposed to the Eclipse which in most ways simply showcases LG.

The Beosystem 5 is long overdue... and might be the only thing that can turn the declining sales around.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

Millemissen:

Not really,-

However, if you insist on letting the display being a hub for everything, 

The Beosystem 5 is long overdue... and might be the only thing that can turn the declining sales around.

Not really’: Do you really think they are dumb, these guys in Struer - it seems that you do.

Why make a rather complicated cooperation with LG, if it could be much easier - don’t you think that rhey have thought through these options?

This ‘However’ is the crux of the problem - a construction like you wish for will not happen, because only a/too few people would buy into it.

People in general want one device for everything, not two or even more.

That said, personally I would be alright with ‘your BeoSystem 5’ - but that is not the point here!!!

This is about what will live up to the Struer standarts of a coherent solution, from a technical and design point of view.........and what will sell.

We obviously disagree there - maybe we will see later (this year), who is right 😉

Remember - B&O is a lifestyle company, not a brand that provides solutions for nerds (like us).

MM

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,417 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Apr 6 2019 12:26 PM

Agreed completely.

A stand alone BS5 box is not going to happen - its simply against the grain of what most customers want.

However you want to define the scope of a BS5 (audio not video processing, source switching, NL integration) will either be built in to a BV or a sound centre like the Eclipse, which may well be sold separately.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
642 Posts
Silver Member

Consider this Sandy.

And thus my nostalgic picture,- Beosystems were part of every recent BV until and including the AVANT 55. BS2 is an AVANT CRT without the CRT, BS3 a BV7 without the LCD etc.... It was a modular approach created out of necessity and way of utilizing limited RD recourses. All the BS did exactly what you ask They provided the source switching, menu overlay, analogue or digital tuners, and the rest of the B&O stuff, nothing else! The BV 7-55 as an example is still a complete (detachable!) Samsung Video engine, with a Beosystem3 piggy bagged, the parts are completely identical!  And the same goes for most BVs from this century, you just don't realize (or appreciate) it until you take a close look under the hood, or when you realize something is missing as in the case of the hybrids like Horizon or Eclipse. And repeating myself: Detach the BS4 from the AVANT, update date HDMI interface, and there is your Beosystem 5 complete with all the classic B&O virtues, and to be honest a few frustrating issues...  Whistle

If B&O is incapable of delivering a very rudimentary piece of AV equipment like outlined above, there is really no justification in continuing.

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,417 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

Consider this Sandy.

And thus my nostalgic picture,- Beosystems were part of every recent BV until and including the AVANT 55. BS2 is an AVANT CRT without the CRT, BS3 a BV7 without the LCD etc.... It was a modular approach created out of necessity and way of utilizing limited RD recourses. All the BS did exactly what you ask They provided the source switching, menu overlay, analogue or digital tuners, and the rest of the B&O stuff, nothing else! The BV 7-55 as an example is still a complete (detachable!) Samsung Video engine, with a Beosystem3 piggy bagged, the parts are completely identical!  And the same goes for most BVs from this century, you just don't realize (or appreciate) it until you take a close look under the hood, or when you realize something is missing as in the case of the hybrids like Horizon or Eclipse. And repeating myself: Detach the BS4 from the AVANT, update date HDMI interface, and there is your Beosystem 5 complete with all the classic B&O virtues, and to be honest a few frustrating issues...  Whistle

If B&O is incapable of delivering a very rudimentary piece of AV equipment like outlined above, there is really no justification in continuing.

I don't disagree, they just are very unlikely to bring out a separate box solution.

Separate boxes just for the purposes described above, are just not a la mode these days.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
642 Posts
Silver Member

Millemissen:

Do you really think they are dumb, these guys in Struer - it seems that you do.

Why make a rather complicated cooperation with LG, if it could be much easier - don’t you think that rhey have thought through these options?

It might not have been the Video guys in Struer making the decision, they all got canned! Properly more of an "eastern province" thing, not even based on technical merits. But refining the question to the Horizon on (not debating A/V qualities) yes I believe is dumb!

Millemissen:

This ‘However’ is the crux of the problem - a construction like you wish for will not happen, because only a/too few people would buy into it.

But here is the catch,- what is the device? If its the Display (Note the distinction) there is no Beovision!

If the device is the Beosystem, (You can add a smart TV engine if it's pivotal for you), the Display simply becomes a matter of choice, it will present the Beosystem and all sources in the best possible way. Then let LG, Sony, Panasonic or Samsung battle and improve the Display technology and image processing, who cares ?

Despite the fact that I kind of like the Horizon, it really breaks my heart to see the whole show run by glossy consumer grade menus, reminding you of the C7 origin.

Millemissen:
That said, personally I would be alright with ‘your BeoSystem 5’ - but that is not the point here!!!

Chip in, what would be on your list ?

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
231 Posts
Bronze Member

@ MM said it all here:

Not really’: Do you really think they are dumb, these guys in Struer - it seems that you do.

* They are certainly not dumb but anyone looking at both sides would question their "collective" intelligence and stability, as market feedback would suggest. You refer to "guys" but they seem to be marketing to "girls and 20-somethings", not other "guys" who, by the way, are by far the primary drivers for A/V (and car and watch and power-tool) purchases. 

* Agree. They did have that cooperation and now Meridian have it. There is a reason for that. What is it?

* Agree, and that is why the details, quality, and technology are important to luxury purchasers, many of whom are smart and practical, particularly when they are getting their first tastes of financial success. I still think BeoSystem 5 has a center speaker, if it exists, and it won't please everyone. 

But is BeoSystem 5 purpose to sell headphones and portables, or do they sell headphones and portables to make BeoSystem 5?

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
642 Posts
Silver Member

poodleboy:
* Agree, and that is why the details, quality, and technology are important to luxury purchasers, many of whom are smart and practical, particularly when they are getting their first tastes of financial success. I still think BeoSystem 5 has a center speaker, if it exists, and it won't please everyone. 

Does a C7 radiate luxury? Hard to justify a price premium if the boys in the hood have exactly the same TV isn't it ?

A Beosystem 5 would allow you to pick any speaker combination, a thus could please anyone or any budget!

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,501 Posts
Bronze Member

To put things in perspective, I just purchased a 75" Samsung tv for 1/15 the price of a 65" Eclipse. No, it doesn't have the premium speaker of the eclipse, but I already have a wall-mounted Beolab 10. I'm not going to use the poor and fleeting selection of apps on a tv. Rather, I use an Apple TV for those. Currently, only a BD or UHD player will take full advantage of my beolab speakers. Nowadays, TVs are so slim and discreet that design does to play much of a factor. It's just a narrow bezel that disappears and the focus is all on the image. 

For decades, B&O has given us a BeoSystem as an option for those of us who want to choose our TV. We still had all the magic and unified control that we would have in a BeoVision.

I showed earlier how I had to manage a work-around since the BeoSystem 4 does not support 4K. That could all be simplified if B&O just supported 4K with a new version of the BeoSystem 4. Otherwise, the BeoSystem 4 is perfect. B&O no longer needs a video development team. Just let the tv do all of the processing.

To me, a B&O TV is just not a wise use of my money. With today's pace of video development and falling prices of TVs, this isn't the same as paying a premium for quality B&O speakers that I know I will be able to use for a decade or more. I consider TV screens like tires for my Porsche: They have an expected short-term use and must be regularly replaced. My beolabs, however, can be expected to out-live the lifetimes of several TVs.

I am not going to spend over $10,000 for a TV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

beojeff:

For decades, B&O has given us a BeoSystem as an option for those of us who want to choose our TV. We still had all the magic and unified control that we would have in a BeoVision.

Not going to comment much - we already have discussed this earlier.

Just this:

For decades...’

Correct, but actually they stopped doing so with the last version of the BV12 - which in my eyes - and with the fast pace of tv evolution -  already is quite a while ago.

Every tv since then  - and many, many before - were ‘all-in-ones’.

I see no signs that this should change.

P.S. Maybe a slick Beoplay soundbar could offer it’s service to those, who want to dress up their non-B&O tv with a beo’ish design and sound 😉

MM

Page 11 of 12 (168 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL