Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

What is going on with B&O’s current TV lineup?

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 167 Replies | 1 Follower

Hero71
Not Ranked
68 Posts
Bronze Member
Hero71 posted on Tue, Feb 26 2019 7:09 PM

I’ve been keeping an eye out for B&O’s TV line up for the past 8 months, ever since I overheard a rumour that B&O will most likely stop making TV’s. It’s no secret that shares dropped almost a quarter by the end of last year and the company has been struggling keeping up with the pace the competition is refreshing lineups and adding smart features.

I’m not sure if there is any truth to this rumour but the fact that the lineup has remained unchanged and is limited to two models for this long is not very reassuring.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

Millemissen:
a simple HDMI output.....’ - if it was that easy....that would be magic 🙃

You are absolutely right, it was(is).

Indeed what you show there is nothing new - some people even used that for mirror tv’s in the bathroom decades ago.

That tv however is just a display - the sources are in or connected to the BeoSystem.

Today the situation is a completely different - there are hardly no external sources anymore.

Everything is handled via the tv/the apps built-in there.

People don’t connect a DVD/BluRay player anymore, hardly an ATV in near future, ChromeCast is built-in to the tv....soon noone will need an oldschool tv-tuner, since streaming is prefred to flowtw.

You may not like it - but it is the reality, that B&O must face, when they offer a tv nowadays.

The challenge will be: how to control that tv with the B&O remote logic - and how to handle the sound that is associated with the video of the tv in an external B&O sound device.

Otherweise we would end up with a tv with it’s own remote  (maybe even voice controlled) and a set of (B&O) speakers....something that maybe will appeal to some users, but certainly would have lost most of what I consider B&O’ish.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

beojeff:
The BeoSystem 4 doesn't support 4K. The Sony UHD player has separate HDMI outputs for video (directly to the tv) and audio (to the BS4). I have an HDFury HDMI splitter to do the same for the Apple TV 4K. For all non-4K sources, I have the video going from the BeoSystem 4 to the TV.

I know, I had a feeling you were up to something funky Smile

beojeff:
This shows how this could all be simplified with a 4K-compatible Beosystem 5 that does the source switching and just passes the unprocessed video to the TV.

My point exactly, just add twin tuners and your done! 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

beojeff:

BEOVOX141:

beojeff:
Having lived with a new 75" 4K HDR tv for a week now and using it with my BeoSystem 4, I'm finding that video has become more complicated than it was in the pas

Are you running 4k HDR through the Beosystem 4 ?

The BeoSystem 4 doesn't support 4K. The Sony UHD player has separate HDMI outputs for video (directly to the tv) and audio (to the BS4). I have an HDFury HDMI splitter to do the same for the Apple TV 4K. For all non-4K sources, I have the video going from the BeoSystem 4 to the TV.

This shows how this could all be simplified with a 4K-compatible Beosystem 5 that does the source switching and just passes the unprocessed video to the TV.

Thanks fur the further deatails.

Certainly something that you can handle and live with.

I am just thinking of, what would happen, if B&O launched a similar solution to their costumers - to costumers, who are far from having your insight and skills?

This is not what people in general want (maybe some of the Beoworlders, yes) - they want siimplicity and one thing that does everything.

In that hinsight the BV Eclipse is a good choice from the guys in Struer (even the speakers are built-in).

I do hope they keep up this way of doing things....

....anything else is much too complicated for the general costumer.

Do remember: B&O has to live from regular costumers, not from nerds like us.

MM

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,512 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

beojeff:

I know, I had a feeling you were up to something funky Smile

beojeff:

My point exactly, just add twin tuners and your done! 

I fully agree with you. B&O could offer a simple solution.

For right now, I find that UHD discs truly present how B&O's speakers provide much better sound than just streamed sound. I wonder, however, if this would still be the case if a future B&O Beosystem would be capable of decoding Dolby Atmos. Could the Dolby Atmos sound from streamed content be just as good as audio content from a disc? I have no way of comparing since B&O doesn't currently support Dolby Atmos.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,512 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

beojeff:

BEOVOX141:

beojeff:
Having lived with a new 75" 4K HDR tv for a week now and using it with my BeoSystem 4, I'm finding that video has become more complicated than it was in the pas

Are you running 4k HDR through the Beosystem 4 ?

Thanks fur the further deatails.

Certainly something that you can handle and live with.

I am just thinking of, what would happen, if B&O launched a similar solution to their costumers - to costumers, who are far from having your insight and skills?

This is not what people in general want (maybe some of the Beoworlders, yes) - they want siimplicity and one thing that does everything.

In that hinsight the BV Eclipse is a good choice from the guys in Struer (even the speakers are built-in).

I do hope they keep up this way of doing things....

....anything else is much too complicated for the general costumer.

Do remember: B&O has to live from regular costumers, not from nerds like us.

MM

MM-

I think that we both agree that B&O offers elegant control. Our point of difference is -- and always has been -- whether this is done via a BeoVision or a BeoSystem. I know that you prefer a BeoVision. However, I prefer a BeoSystem. I always have. Through the years, I have enjoyed having an AV7000, BeoSystem 1, BeoSystem 3, and now BeoSystem 4 handle all of this. I just will not pay over $10,000 for a TV. What I appreciate most from B&O is the sound quality. I see no reason why B&O can't cater to the needs of both of us.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

beojeff:

MM-

I think that we both agree that B&O offers elegant control. Our point of difference is -- and always has been -- whether this is done via a BeoVision or a BeoSystem. I know that you prefer a BeoVision. However, I prefer a BeoSystem. I always have. Through the years, I have enjoyed having an AV7000, BeoSystem 1, BeoSystem 3, and now BeoSystem 4 handle all of this. I just will not pay over $10,000 for a TV. What I appreciate most from B&O is the sound quality. I see no reason why B&O can't cater to the needs of both of us.

Honestly my concern is not so much what you or I would want....note, that I haven’t even talked about what I personally would want.

What I am thinking of is, what B&O must/will have to do in order to keep the general costumer satisfied....means sell A/V solutions (and maybe additional speakers).

What do they need to present, that will sell is the question.

I am pretty sure, that you and I will find a solution, that may suit us better, if we are not satisfied with what will reach the stores.

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,780 Posts
Bronze Member

This was spoken by B&O's 'secret' PR machine. Smile Then I believe that B&O should not do anything.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,780 Posts
Bronze Member

Remember there are both HDMI 2.1 and eARC on a LG OLED 2019 TV.

"A box with 1 HDMI 2.1 / eARC output for the wired connection, and WiSA can be controlled with an app such as
Beosound Edge etc. Speakers can be set via the app. (My 5.1 system). No remote control, no Puc, no picture
from it to a display. All packed in a plastic box that can be stored behind the TV. Easy."

I dare not write who wrote this. Smile

Epsilon20
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Bronze Member

I had a Loewe Bild 7 with a motorised stand, OLED screen a 5.1 decoder built in and could connect to by beolabs via WISA or hardwire and its worked great. For 2 years nearly I always thought the eclipse was overpriced but after doing a part exchange and taking advantage of the £1500 off the telly B&O were offering i took the plunge.

No regrets from me as my speakers connect via WISA, i have a nicer movable stand, the nice remote, speaker groups and it connects with my other speakers int he dinning room via the beosound core.

If your not in the B&O ecosystem then an eclipse s probably overkill. For me it made sense after spending 2 years trying to find work arounds for my LOEWE tv connecting to me speakers and spending loads of cables, adapters, the almando box, a LG universal remote etc.

I could get sony. LG, Panasonic but i just wanted simplicity in the end plus an elegant solution for my existing speakers.

Beovision Eclipse 55 Brass Edition with Oak covers and Brass Orbital stand

Beolab 50s silver & Oak, Beolab 18 Brass with Smoked Oak, Beolab 18 Rose Gold with Maple Covers, Beolab 19 Black.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,780 Posts
Bronze Member

@ Epsilon20

However, just like everyone here at BeoWorld, had expected that time, B&O constructed the Beo SountCenter
for C8 panel in 2018 and C9 in 2019, after consumer choice, the B&O stores had sold many more Eclipse.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter Pan:

@ Epsilon20

However, just like everyone here at BeoWorld, had expected that time, B&O constructed the Beo SountCenter
for C8 panel in 2018 and C9 in 2019, after consumer choice, the B&O stores had sold many more Eclipse.

It seems to me, that you want to talk around of the experience and result of the tests of Epsilon.

You simply don’t want it to be true.

Now where do you see the (big) difference/s in the C7 and the C8 panel of the LG part - and a real need for an exchange?

Are you just nitpicking, maybe!

And how do you know, whether there may be a 2019 update of the Eclipse or not (or even a new tv based on the 2019 models).....the 2019 tv’s from LG are not even released yet.

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,780 Posts
Bronze Member

@ Millemissen  

I'll try again
B&O should have made their Soundcenter so that it could be adapted to
many TV models. It had taken a little longer time, and given a bigger sale.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,337 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter Pan:

@ Millemissen

I'll try again B&O should have made their Soundcenter so that it could be adapted to many TV models. It had taken a little longer time, and given a bigger sale.

I think it would be a good idea to open the concept up too
davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
170 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Now where do you see the (big) difference/s in the C7 and the C8 panel of the LG part - and a real need for an exchange?

Not to pick on you, but the thing is LG like most mass consumer TVs, only produces a model for a year or less then it's gone. B&O (I would hope) has a warehouse full of C7 sets for replacements and sales. Once that inventory is gone I hope they have a plan to account for that because LG is not going to make another batch of C7.

No there's not a big difference between a C7 or C8 agreed.

B&O simply retrofitted a C7, we know this, and the future of this product looks sketchy.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
813 Posts
Gold Member
Aussie Michael:

I think it would be a good idea to open the concept up too

Yes - thumbs up

A Soundcenter with no or minimal video processing (I’d like to see electronic curtains) HDMI CEC and ARC for in-tv sources, PUC, WiSA, and you supply the video monitor of your preference. LED, QLED, OLED, it almost doesn’t matter.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Page 10 of 12 (168 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL