Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

What is going on with B&Oโ€™s current TV lineup?

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 167 Replies | 1 Follower

Hero71
Top 500 Contributor
71 Posts
Bronze Member
Hero71 posted on Tue, Feb 26 2019 7:09 PM

I’ve been keeping an eye out for B&O’s TV line up for the past 8 months, ever since I overheard a rumour that B&O will most likely stop making TV’s. It’s no secret that shares dropped almost a quarter by the end of last year and the company has been struggling keeping up with the pace the competition is refreshing lineups and adding smart features.

I’m not sure if there is any truth to this rumour but the fact that the lineup has remained unchanged and is limited to two models for this long is not very reassuring.

All Replies

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,806 Posts
Bronze Member

@ MM

Nothing - it's over. No - thumbs down

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

Millemissen:
I would not call it a BeoSystem (5) - maybe not to confuse those, who see a BSys as something with video processing built in.

I was referring to the Avant ? Are you saying its without 4k Video processing and tuners?

My point is a simple HDMI output would have been enough to provide a Beosystem 5, capable of controlling any TV!

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

Peter Pan:

@ MM

Nothing - it's over. No - thumbs down

Lets wait a few more days before we pass the final verdict!

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
246 Posts
Bronze Member

"Lets wait a few more days before we pass the final verdict!"

Yes - thumbs upBig Smile

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,806 Posts
Bronze Member

Hov:
Incredibly B&O still hasn't made an independent soundbar - and maybe at an edible price.
They cling to the past with the idea of selling television. Should the stock price not get them
to look a little differently on things. Would be great if B&O would soon go all in for audio solutions
and surround systems for anything other than their "own" TVs they still can't make / sell. Wake up B&O.

Bravo Hov.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,360 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

Millemissen:
I would not call it a BeoSystem (5) - maybe not to confuse those, who see a BSys as something with video processing built in.

I was referring to the Avant ? Are you saying its without 4k Video processing and tuners?

My point is a simple HDMI output would have been enough to provide a Beosystem 5, capable of controlling any TV!

1: Maybe your question was not clear (enogh)?

or

2: I did not understand what you meant?

—-

’a simple HDMI output.....’ - if it was that easy....that would be magic ๐Ÿ™ƒ

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

Millemissen:
a simple HDMI output.....’ - if it was that easy....that would be magic ๐Ÿ™ƒ

You are absolutely right, it was(is).

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
244 Posts
Gold Member

’a simple HDMI output.....’ - if it was that easy....that would be magic ๐Ÿ™ƒ

MM

That should not be difficult.Look at the Oppo Udp203,second hdmi outputs audio only.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Beoplay A1,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,536 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter Pan:

@ Millemissen

BSys4 is Discontinued, no longer found on B & O's price list. PUC codes are also no longer updated.

Peter Pan makes a very good point here. The PUC list for TVs is very small and old. B&O hasn't been adding recent UHD players. I had to email BeoCare and received a PUC file for a Sony UHD player 2 weeks later. I had to install it manually. I checked and it still is not in the PUC database. What's the point of having this PUC online database if we still have to bother BeoCare to get the PUC files that we need? Why not just add these to the online database?

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,536 Posts
Bronze Member

Having lived with a new 75" 4K HDR tv for a week now and using it with my BeoSystem 4, I'm finding that video has become more complicated than it was in the past. Sometimes, HDR looks great. Sometimes, it doesn't. Also, there seems to be a lot going on with regard to EDID recognition over HDMI. Especially with the Apple TV 4K. It's a challenge to get the settings on the tv just right. Having any video processing added in that chain should be avoided. A BeoSystem 5 should not do any video processing. It should just pass the signal on to the TV and let the TV handle those settings. Let the BeoSystem 5 focus on where B&O excels: sound. With the content now available, B&O really needs to support Dolby Atmos -- whether that be with a soundbar or with a BeoSystem for connecting more speakers -- or both.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,360 Posts
Bronze Member

The PUC list for TVs is very small and old‘ - maybe Peter Pan should have specified that....if this was what he meant.

As for PUC’s in general I am not able to know anything - maybe that is just part of an evolution, where the sources that people need and use are built-in as app’s in the tv’s/a SmartTV function.

Never the less, you got the PUC, that you needed ๐Ÿ˜‰

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,360 Posts
Bronze Member

beojeff:

Having lived with a new 75" 4K HDR tv for a week now and using it with my BeoSystem 4, I'm finding that video has become more complicated than it was in the past. Sometimes, HDR looks great. Sometimes, it doesn't. Also, there seems to be a lot going on with regard to EDID recognition over HDMI. Especially with the Apple TV 4K. It's a challenge to get the settings on the tv just right. Having any video processing added in that chain should be avoided. A BeoSystem 5 should not do any video processing. It should just pass the signal on to the TV and let the TV handle those settings. Let the BeoSystem 5 focus on where B&O excels: sound. With the content now available, B&O really needs to support Dolby Atmos -- whether that be with a soundbar or with a BeoSystem for connecting more speakers -- or both.

Thanks for a real-life report.

And how do you control the app’s (and settings etc) of that tv with your beoremote?

MM

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

beojeff:
Having lived with a new 75" 4K HDR tv for a week now and using it with my BeoSystem 4, I'm finding that video has become more complicated than it was in the pas

Are you running 4k HDR through the Beosystem 4 ?

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,536 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

beojeff:

Thanks for a real-life report.

And how do you control the app’s (and settings etc) of that tv with your beoremote?

MM

I use either the Apple TV or the Sony UHD player for apps such as Netflix, Amazon, etc. They offer the best interface and can be controlled with the BeoRemote One via the BeoSystem 4. The BeoSystem 4 native app list is a good reminder to avoid relying on the TV for those services. The app list on the BeoSystem 4 looks like a very sad ghost town.

A have an XML file on a Beo6 for menu control of the Samsung TV. However, this is really just needed for the initial setup -- which could also be done with the Samsung remote and then store it away. My BLGW with Global Caché automatically changes the TV's input based on the BeoSystem 4 source. I can also manually change the TV's video inputs using CONTROL functions on the BeoRemote One. However, a future B&O system could easily do this with CEC if needed. Yet, if a new B&O system supports 4K, it could do the video switching from within the BeoSystem itself.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,536 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

beojeff:
Having lived with a new 75" 4K HDR tv for a week now and using it with my BeoSystem 4, I'm finding that video has become more complicated than it was in the pas

Are you running 4k HDR through the Beosystem 4 ?

The BeoSystem 4 doesn't support 4K. The Sony UHD player has separate HDMI outputs for video (directly to the tv) and audio (to the BS4). I have an HDFury HDMI splitter to do the same for the Apple TV 4K. For all non-4K sources, I have the video going from the BeoSystem 4 to the TV.

This shows how this could all be simplified with a 4K-compatible Beosystem 5 that does the source switching and just passes the unprocessed video to the TV.

Page 9 of 12 (168 items) ยซ First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL