Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

What is going on with B&O’s current TV lineup?

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 167 Replies | 1 Follower

Hero71
Not Ranked
68 Posts
Bronze Member
Hero71 posted on Tue, Feb 26 2019 7:09 PM

I’ve been keeping an eye out for B&O’s TV line up for the past 8 months, ever since I overheard a rumour that B&O will most likely stop making TV’s. It’s no secret that shares dropped almost a quarter by the end of last year and the company has been struggling keeping up with the pace the competition is refreshing lineups and adding smart features.

I’m not sure if there is any truth to this rumour but the fact that the lineup has remained unchanged and is limited to two models for this long is not very reassuring.

All Replies

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,464 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 4 2019 5:28 PM

I think the Eclipse needs to get an award for being the single B&O product that has produced the most posts on Beoworld in perhaps ever. If controversy made a product great, it'd be among the greatest.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
239 Posts
Bronze Member
Another way of evaluating this thread is that those who DONT have an Eclipse would seem to want to share their perspective on it; whether price, colour, shape or provenance. I’ve not seen smell yet, but I’m sure it’s coming.

The reality is, it’s not made in Struer, it’s not all aluminium and glass, and yet it is miles ahead of any prior BV for picture, sound, smart, integration and reliability. As a result that must make it bad - right?

And lastly, which LG product are we comparing it against? Last I looked, they have zero comparable.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,593 Posts
Bronze Member

Wow, that's a triumph of logic!

Why would anyone who doesn't like it be a owner?Confused

Or are you trying to play the "you only don't like it because you can't afford it" card? - in which case you're wrong again!

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,464 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 4 2019 6:31 PM

Puncher:

Or are you trying to play the "you only don't like it because you can't afford it" card? - in which case you're wrong again!

Plus it's pretty early in its lifespan to be commenting on reliability.

I don't think any comments on smell would properly be directed at the TV. Just sayin. Wink

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,435 Posts
Bronze Member

You're falling into the same self inflicted trap.

Saying it doesn't tick all your (in my case, mine) boxes is not saying its bad, just not for me.

Why do you guys continually over generalise and project?

As I said above, despite getting dragged down a rabbit hole over picture quality, my principal issue is I don't love the design. 

I had a 14 from launch, before it went back, so I know what bad truly is.

Not everyone rationalises the price premium the same way and reaches the same conclusion. The specs are good, the heritage feel is less so.

Matters to some, less to others.

Why that should prove so desperately controversial is beyond me - its not as if I;m alone in wondering where the future classics are in the current product portfolio. In fact, its probably the most oft repeated critique of the company, alongside software issues.

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,435 Posts
Bronze Member

Puncher:

Well, we can add clumsy sarcasm (soon you'll be complaining about its smell) now to todays dogmatic sloganeering (There. Is. No. Alternative!).

And yes, repetition of the "those who don't like it should really go and try it".....

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member
If you smell it the dsse board has gone bad Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
239 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:
Plus it's pretty early in its lifespan to be commenting on reliability.

NOOOP. You'll find the highest percentage of B&O issues / care / warranty are early in the life of the product and has been this way for 10-15 years.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,276 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

Millemissen:
When cooperating with LG is the best way to make a current BV, I see no reason why not to do it

Out of pure curiosity: Would you consider the Eclipse architecture better or worse than the traditional Beosystem approach?

And would you agree, being an Avant owner, that a  Beosystem 5 is more or less already there?

No, not necsessarily. but it is the best a company like B&O can do under the current circumstances.

So, the question is actually irrelevant.

I would not call it a BeoSystem (5) - maybe not to confuse those, who see a BSys as something with video processing built in.

There is also no tuner/no tuners - which again may be an advantage, because the world of tuners are also rapidly changing.

By the way, tuners and tuner solutions aren’t/weren’t house-build in Struer.

Maybe the name Sound Center is more correct, though not describing the full functionallity, that is necsessary for a cooperative solution with a tv company like LG..............that name probably is thought out in the marketing department of B&O.

I guess (as far as a version with built-in speakers is concerned) what is needed, is well described here:

https://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2017/09/15/bo-tech-its-not-just-a-soundbar/

A standalone ‘BSys5’/Sound Center solution, that is supposed to work with a stock tv (of any brand) would have to be different, since there can be no easy way to make a fluent control interface for both parts.

After all, controlling a BV Eclipse is pretty much the same as controlling older BV’s as far as UI and remote control is concerned.

P.S. ‘Avant and BeoSystem 5’.....the system there is a BSys4-based version - it has a version number, which I don’t recall right now

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,782 Posts
Bronze Member

@ Millemissen

BSys4 is Discontinued, no longer found on B & O's price list. PUC codes are also no longer updated.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,276 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter Pan:

@ Millemissen

BSys4 is Discontinued, no longer found on B & O's price list. PUC codes are also no longer updated.

Sure, but why do you tell me that?

PUC codes are directly downloadable - now as before.

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,782 Posts
Bronze Member

MM

PUC codes are not updated to new products as before. Try it.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,782 Posts
Bronze Member

Hallo Hero71

Whatever we hope for, we cannot expect B&O to afford to launch more BeoVision TVs.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,276 Posts
Bronze Member

Does Peter Pan really have the crystal ball he claims to have.....or is that just a mock-up 🙄

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,276 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter Pan:

MM

PUC codes are not updated to new products as before. Try it.

What is there to try?

MM

Page 8 of 12 (168 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL