This post has 42 Replies | 1 Follower

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE Posted: Sun, Feb 24 2019 7:54 PM

Hello All,

As many of you followed me through from the initial idea, start up, progress, 'world domination', then tragic implosion of LifeStyle AV I just thought I'd let you good people know before anyone else that I've launched a new website!  I'm not sure wether to cheer or cry if I'm honest...

Nothing glamorous, and I've no intention to start a "LifeStyle AV Mk2" - but as I'm getting offered almost nothing from the official B&O Dealers still hanging on in there (who are resorting to trying to sell it themselves) I need to try and source some B&O stock in the UK.  Nothing large scale, just a small operation is all I'm looking to achieve. I'm not interested in anything bigger.

For the last year and a half I've not been doing much other than selling off my own personal items to pay the bills, plus pick up some scraps from the dealers - and I've got to the point where I'm running out of things of my own to sell...  My Father in Law has agreed to invest some money into a new business venture (totally away from B&O and 'AV' altogether) later this year, so in the meantime I'm hoping to buy and sell some B&O to help raise capital for this.

I was lucky to have a fantastic customer base at LifeStyle AV, many of whom have contacted me since with requests for this and that - so hopefully I can match supply with demand and make a living for a little while. If you don't try, you'll never know.

Anyway, here it is :

www.beobuyer.co.uk

I will say again that I'm not 'back in the game'. It was never my intention from the day I closed the doors at LifeStyle AV to start again - but if it can make me a small living for a year, I'll be happy.

Matt (ex LifeStyle) has agreed to help when he has time, too - which will be nice. After 13 years of working together 6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day I do miss the old chap!

Anyway, there you go. Let me know your thoughts if you have any. You're all the first to know about this. Thumbs Up

Kindest Regards

Lee

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,804
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 8:34 PM

Hi Lee,

An excellent idea, that is.

Of course I have nothing to sell, but it’s good to know someone still cares about the marque.

Thumbs up then, and good luck!

Jacques

Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
Posts 3,579
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 8:51 PM

Lee, 

Nice website - the photos are fantastic!

Good luck!

Beo4 'til I die!

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 486
Founder
frog replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 8:54 PM

Good luck to you! hope it works out well.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,371
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 9:22 PM

Very slick and professional looking site Lee. I wish you the best of luck with this as a bridge until your ship comes in. Being across the pond I can't really help, but hope it's successful for you.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 684
Gold Member
Mikipidia replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 2:41 AM

Good luck Lee, nice looking site!

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,233
Gold Member

Good luck Lee, good looking and very manageable site with very clear messages, will spread the word where ever I can.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,371
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 3:33 AM

What? No love for the BL2000? 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
Posts 3,579
Gold Member
Evan replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 8:11 AM

Jeff:

What? No love for the BL2000? 

I was going to say something similar about the BV9! Broken Heart 

More for me I guess Devil

Beo4 'til I die!

Llewelyn Guildford
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member

Hi Lee

I own and run the largest B&O fan page/group on Facebook. You can advertise your website and sale items freely on there with no restrictions if you want :) 

www.facebook.com/groups/beovintage

rfc1
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 177
Gold Member
rfc1 replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 10:43 AM

Good idea Lee.   Where are you going to sell your item,s ?

Cheers Sandy

Beosystem 6500.

Ouverture,

Beosound 8.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,386
Gold Member

Hi Lee,

Superbly designed website, great photos.  Wishing you the best for this new venture and for your future plans!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 11:46 AM

Llewelyn Guildford:

Hi Lee

I own and run the largest B&O fan page/group on Facebook. You can advertise your website and sale items freely on there with no restrictions if you want :) 

www.facebook.com/groups/beovintage

That's extremely kind of you!  I'll drop you a PM if that's ok?

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 11:49 AM

rfc1:

Good idea Lee.   Where are you going to sell your item,s ?

I'm hoping to match them up to buyers straight away, just adding a very small profit to cover my expenses and living costs.

Anything beyond that, I'll hit the classifieds and auction websites!

As mentioned, I'm under no illusion this will be a 'proper' business - it's just a stop-gap. I'd be silly to waste 35 years of experience and 14 years worth of contacts for now.

Lee

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,145
Founder

If your 35 years of experience doesn't tell you then I will, you are truly bonkers!

Regards Graham

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 12:22 PM

Graham.. it's a stop-gap. I am not 'starting again' Laughing

The pre-owned B&O business (as I used to do it) is dying on its feet - or is already dead.  It's just about 'wheeling and dealing' now. Low overheads, matching sellers and buyers, and taking small margins.  I'm happy with that.  I neither need nor want the stress and pressure of a full-time B&O business with staff, overheads and all the bills which go with it.

Lee

Llewelyn Guildford
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member

Sure thing :) 

TEL
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Founder
TEL replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 10:33 PM

Hello Lee

Very best wishes in the new venture

I'll have a look and see what I have - but fear items will be too old.

By-the-way, when I click on the link I get an error page displayed - when I type www.beobuyer.co.uk - it works

TEL

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Feb 25 2019 10:51 PM

Thanks for that TEL.  It was because we changed the meta-tag after I posted the original link, I think!

Try it now. I'll be interested to see if it works. :)

Lee

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,145
Founder

It works now.

Regards Graham

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Feb 26 2019 10:20 AM

Excellent. Thanks Graham.

It was also a bit selfish of me not to give a nod to the person who designed the site, Simon Robinson.  I first met him when he was an official B&O Dealer in West Sussex (UK) and now he's creating very slick looking websites for a living!  Quite a different living, but he's always been creative - and his store was always immaculate as he's quite the perfectionist...

One Little London

One thing which was important to me was budget, and what he's delivered versus the cost was ludicrously cheap.

Anyway, there you go. Thank you Simon Yes - thumbs up

Lee

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
Posts 1,078
Founder
h1npw replied on Wed, Feb 27 2019 9:46 AM

Fantastic website Lee! The design of it alone deserves to generate a thriving stop-gap!

I've sent you a private email to your beoworld admin address

Cheers

Nigel

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Bronze Member
folkdeejay replied on Wed, Feb 27 2019 10:30 AM

All the best Lee - nice website.

I remember Simon from days of old...   he has done a great job on your site.

Might have a few pieces you could 'broker' ... Some  turntables, a couple of Beosounds.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Feb 27 2019 10:51 AM

folkdeejay:

All the best Lee - nice website.

I remember Simon from days of old...   he has done a great job on your site.

Might have a few pieces you could 'broker' ... Some  turntables, a couple of Beosounds.

Thank You! I've stayed in touch with a lot of UK Dealers who aren't involved any more. Nice people, and many have gone on to lead happy and fulfilled lives in the wild. Laughing

Always happy to have a bid on anything on my lists!  Send me an email Smile

Lee

hostler
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Bronze Member
hostler replied on Wed, Feb 27 2019 11:19 AM

Wonderful news Lee - and please say hello to Matt.

The BV11, Lab 18's 19's and 14's have been the best investment I've made.

Would love to bid on an Eclipse if and when you get one ...

Good luck with this 'hobby"

Tom

Opman
Top 150 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 425
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Wed, Feb 27 2019 5:28 PM

Good luck with the new venture Lee.

If we have anything we can do a deal with I'll be in touch.

Very best regards

Opman (Nick)

Wilmslow

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 594
Gold Member

It's a "minefield" out there at the moment Lee,but I hope this works for you sir!

Best wishes,

Nick

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Feb 28 2019 10:41 AM

solderon29:
It's a "minefield" out there at the moment Lee....

I think most of the mines have already gone off!  It's more of a crater-filled battlefield, but I get your point. Laughing

Lee

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Fri, Mar 1 2019 6:24 AM

Good luck with the new business, Lee! Hope you'll be doing fine and it's very nice to see that you didn't give up the passion!

The website looks nice and modern although it hurts to see a Beosound 9000 placed on concrete floor. ;)

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,431
Bronze Member

Congrats and best of luck with the new venture Lee.

No interest in a Beosound Century. One owner,complete with box?

i like your website. It looks good and communicates well.

Simon

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

PaulGiles
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Bronze Member
Looks great, hope all goes well.
ouverture
Top 500 Contributor
London
Posts 245
Bronze Member
ouverture replied on Thu, Mar 14 2019 3:26 PM

Lee, the website looks really good, you just need lots of SEO optimisation to drive traffic to it, I am sure Simon can give you some pointers in the area

hope it all works out for you nicely n 2019 :-) 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Mar 14 2019 4:25 PM

Thank you everyone!

A nice trickle of bits and pieces coming in - mainly vintage and needing repairs.  I won't make a fortune from it but it's a living, for now Smile

Lee

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 797
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:16 AM

Yes, good luck with it Lee - one thing I miss about LifestyleAV was the honesty in marketing products, particularly TVs - Lifestyle used to put the number of days used on all the adverts - since Lifestyle went you hardly see that anymore. 

I bought a few peices from Lifestyle and when they arrived, they were so well packed and in such good condition that you felt like you were buying something new. They are still in use, amongst them BL2000, BL3500 and BL6000's

Wish you all the best with this stop gap and you deserve to do well.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:27 AM

Andrew:
I bought a few peices from Lifestyle and when they arrived, they were so well packed and in such good condition that you felt like you were buying something new.

Sadly it mattered less and less to the consumer as time went on. It was all about price, price, price.

People would see the same item for 25% - 30% less on eBay - and that set the 'benchmark' for price. The only way to get the sale was to match the eBay price, then offer the superior levels of service.

The more the prices went down on eBay (and by gosh, did they..) the smaller my margins became. My overheads never changed, though. In fact, they increased.  Add that to the dealers all having to sell their pre-owned themselves (which they appear to be not very good at, looking at some of their eBay feedback) to pay their own bills, and you have the perfect storm of no stock being available, rapidly decreasing margins and increasing overheads.

It still makes me a little sad that I don't have LifeStyle AV any more. I did nothing wrong apart from being forced to hang onto the coat tails of a company who are in a rapid decline. "All my eggs in one basket" is the saying. However, everything happens for a reason. There's another path for me, it would appear!

As for the site, I'm really enjoying talking to people about their classic and vintage items actually!  I think B&O will still be seen in a positive light in the future thanks to the great products they made in the past.

Lee

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,944
Bronze Member

Andrew:

I bought a few peices from Lifestyle and when they arrived, they were so well packed and in such good condition that you felt like you were buying something new. 

That probably was the reason for Lee to stop at that time - he was too good!

It is hard to compete, when you have such high standarts, if people aren’t willing to pay more than what they see for private sales on ebay.

Good luck with your new venture, Lee.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,944
Bronze Member

Oh - Lee (himself) beat me on that conclusion.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:40 AM

Millemissen:

Oh - Lee (himself) beat me on that conclusion.

Laughing

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 797
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 12:00 PM

Yes, I would rather buy something in tip top condition than grab a bargain and spend a fortune getting it repaired. 

I believe there was a marketing slogan at one point by B&O which was along the lines of, for people who put quality above price. Sadly these days people don't do that preferring price over quality. 

You know when to steer clear when someone says "we didn't have any tapes, speakers, records or cables to fully test but the lights come on and things spin"

Jason
Top 500 Contributor
Redditch Worcestershire
Posts 160
Bronze Member
Jason replied on Tue, Mar 19 2019 9:45 AM

Hi Lee,

Good luck with your stop gap .

We are turning away stock daily here as we are moving mostly to the restoration of the vintage B&O which we have been doing for the last few years and was always where my passion lay, our days of 2000 miles a week are finally over forever, swapped for time at home with our 2 beautiful rescued Shepards  , im happy to send equipment your way , especially the newer stuff that holds no interest to me

We had a good run while it lasted

I know what ever you do youll do it well, you always did

All the best jason

Page 1 of 2 (43 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL