rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

thch
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Silver Member
thch posted on Thu, Feb 14 2019 12:07 PM

Hello y'all.

I have a set old refurbished Penta's Mk I, bought several years ago. No display units in them.

Recently I found a set of Mk II displays, and am trying to make them work on the Mk I Penta.

First off all, both displays needed a full recap, which I have done. But i can't get anything out of them....

10V AC (to pin 2 and 3 on the connector) from the AMP is good. I have a signal on the DATA line (pin 4).

System is connected to a BM6500 (tried Beosound Ouverture too without any luck).

The TP1 on the diagram shows 1V DC.

Bonus info: I had a small success at one point where the disply lit up for a short time - it froze on a certain setting and would not turn off when the speaker amp shut down. After this I have had no response from the displays.

How do I test these circuits?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

thch
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Silver Member
Answered (Verified) thch replied on Thu, Feb 21 2019 6:55 AM
Verified by thch

Finally problem solved:

Pin6 on the display (audio/video signal) - When audio signal is fed via the RCA plug, this pin is grounded - must be high to turn on display.

Removed pin6 on the plug resolved my problems :-)

Has anyone modified the resistors/LDR resistor on the Mk II display - output is pretty low and hard to see when the acrylic covers are fitted. 

All Replies

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,543 Posts
Founder

The mk2 and mk3 display has to be told to which data they have to listen. Audio or Videomaster. You're missing a switch at the bottom which switches a mode line to ground, or not. 

Just compare the diagrams and look for differences.

thch
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Silver Member
thch replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 1:33 PM

That switch is included on the pcb (goes to the audio/video input on IC2). I believe I have tried to switch that one too.....

thch
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Silver Member
thch replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 4:37 PM

Yup, tried that switch too - no difference. Is there a way to test the display if it works at all?

thch
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Silver Member
thch replied on Sat, Feb 16 2019 3:08 PM

Problem solved:

Display data input ground wire was missing. Now all is working fine :-)

thch
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Silver Member
thch replied on Wed, Feb 20 2019 8:57 AM

Well... not quite true!

This one is really bugging me.....

Scenario:

Beolab Penta Mk I with refurbished Penta Mk II displays. Display is connected via the 2 pins on the DIN plug. Audio is connected via the RCA plug. Source is BeoMaster 7000 using the Powerlink output. (Please recall the the Penta Mk I does not have the Powerlink plug - only DIN, RCA and speaker terminals)

No display when the 2 parts are connected. When audio RCA is pulled out, the display works as it should!

I am beginning to suspect the AMP in the Penta's - could it be that the digital ground is shorted to the audio ground and that is why display is off when audio RCA is connected?

Anyone here who has a picture of the correct wiring from the plugs (DIN & RCA) to the AMP circuit ?

thch
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Silver Member
Answered (Verified) thch replied on Thu, Feb 21 2019 6:55 AM
Verified by thch

Finally problem solved:

Pin6 on the display (audio/video signal) - When audio signal is fed via the RCA plug, this pin is grounded - must be high to turn on display.

Removed pin6 on the plug resolved my problems :-)

Has anyone modified the resistors/LDR resistor on the Mk II display - output is pretty low and hard to see when the acrylic covers are fitted. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL