Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

De-cluttering our B&O: Does it spark joy?

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,408
Silver Member
beojeff Posted: Tue, Feb 12 2019 11:13 PM

Many of us have probably watched the Netflix series about de-cluttering where the process is to hold an item in your hands and ask yourself "Does it spark joy?" to determine whether to keep it or throw it out. I've been struggling with this process with my B&O. I admit that I tend to hoard B&O and have many items that I never use and very well may never use again. So much of it is old technology that just isn't relevant anymore. After years of having an old Avant that was replaced with a Beovision 10, I finally brought myself to part with it. I asked myself who the lucky recipient would be of my very generous gift. Much to my dismay, I could not even GIVE it away! No one wanted it. They scoffed at 480p and the size and weight of the beast. I finally got someone to take it, but at that point I felt like he was doing me a favor. Last weekend, I did part with a BeoMaster 2000. I held it in my hands and admitted that it no longer sparked joy for me and that I would never use it. It felt a bit liberating to throw it in the dumpster. (*gasp*)

Here is a list of my B&O collection that is now gathering dust but that I can't part with:

BeoSound 2300 (my very first B&O sound system. Thus, sentimental attachment.)

BeoCenter 2 (horrible DVD player, but too beautiful to part with)

BeoSound Century

BeoSystem 4500 (mounted on my wall but not used)

BeoSound 5 (I use the BeoMaster 5 for my 2 Moments, but never touch the BeoSound 5 anymore)

BeoGram 8002 (gathering dust under the bed)

BeoCord 8000 (also gathering dust under the bed)

3x AV7000 (gathering dust under the bed)

9x BeoCom 6000 phones

6x BeoCom 2 (I admit that I have 3 connected, but my mother is the only person who still uses my landline)

I was just curious about other members on the forum and their similar experiences. What have you been able to part with and what was your process in getting there?

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 417
Bronze Member

You know I was about to put a thread on any interested beoworlders to say come and take it.

Beocenter 9500

Beogram 8002 (needs work)

Beo5 and 6 remotes

Possibly a few other giveaways 

Window opening 8 March. Plymouth UK

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,408
Silver Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Feb 12 2019 11:51 PM

Mr 10Percent:

You know I was about to put a thread on any interested beoworlders to say come and take it.

Beocenter 9500

Beo5 and 6 remotes

I suspect you have similar feelings that I have. I just don't want to be bothered with putting things on eBay, don't want to deal with shipping, and really don't care about the profit. I hate the feeling of hoarding B&O, but I hate more the idea of B&O going to homes where it isn't appreciated.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 712
Gold Member
I have the opposite problem where some of these items cause joy and make me smile when I hold them but I don’t have the opportunity to use them. I use a Beomaster 8000 for my system and I only listen to music in one room but the Beotime magic flute makes me smile with the ridiculousness of it and it isn’t compatible with the 8000.
Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Gold Member
Mikipidia replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 12:04 AM

The only thing I ever parted with was the old avant 32, for every other piece I replaced it with something else basically. as in speakers for speakers and tv for tv. The only reason I ever parted with the avant was that I had to  move very quickly and in my current space I didn't have the space to store it otherwise I would have kept it. I guess as a general rule of thumb I don't understand parting with B&O products unless they're broken beyond repair or where the repair is the same cost as a second hand ''new'' unit Huh? 

I actively have to stop myself from hoarding B&O equipment Stick out tongue

Iam not sure this helps at all, but try and find a good home for the things you have second thoughts about keeping. That helps the process, and if it's not in the way then you can actively find that good home. If you ever ''need to get rid of'' things, hit me up, I'd be very happy to do you that ''favour'' lol

I guess the bug still roams strong in me Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 207
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 12:30 AM

5 years ago,I could not give my 2 beovisions (Bv1 with remote,and BV3-32 with Beo4) for free,Both fully working,and in mint condition.

I hated option to send it for recycling,so I had to bring it to the friend's summer houses on the island.Asking them if they actually still use it,the answer is:

Yes,they look attractive,but we use use them as music sources mostly ,because the sound they produce is fantastic.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 137
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 12:36 AM

I think this is less a case of losing "joy" at B&O so much as losing interest in sitting down and putting on some physical media. When we had our first child I had a hifi in the bedroom that was seldom used but because there was a crib there I started playing classical/jazz records, listening to the radio constantly and I got more use out of 6 months than I had than the past 6 years.

Go visit a record shop or buy some tapes online if you want to enjoy that equipment again!

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,408
Silver Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 12:37 AM

Saint Beogrowler:
I have the opposite problem where some of these items cause joy and make me smile when I hold them but I don’t have the opportunity to use them. I use a Beomaster 8000 for my system and I only listen to music in one room but the Beotime magic flute makes me smile with the ridiculousness of it and it isn’t compatible with the 8000.

I, too, have a Bedtime that I don't use but that sparks joy to me!

Perhaps if you're ever passing through Indianapolis, your BeoMaster 8000 might adopt my BeoCord 8000.

P.S. I forgot to list in my "collecting dust" items my 2 BeoSystem 1 units. I definitely don't need to keep these. They NEVER sparked joy but just frustration. They won't fit in my Porsche to take them for proper disposal. Must I disguise myself to take them to the dumpster when no one is watching?

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 348
Bronze Member

I never got into hoarding B&O and these days I still got complete Beosystem 6000 in white + 6500 in white.

Ad 2 old Beovision one being my LX5500 which I got in 2008 from an auction. At first the supplied Beolink 1000 did not turn it on but the buttons on the front would. So I got the remote fixed. It still works along with the electric turn stand and VX7000 vhs player.

The other is my 1998 Beo4 AV9000 IMP which I had delivered and for the sake of being able to use it some service was needed but it survives with the vhs player fine. I do plan to get some Beolab 6000 8000 speakers again and a Dvd1 player.

If its not going to be used there is not much point besides there are plenty of old B&O around. 

beo3000
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Bronze Member
beo3000 replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 2:34 AM

I would like it :)

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,257
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 6:51 AM

After hoarding B&O everywhere in my house....under beds...filling cupboards..I realised it was time for them to go when my mother phoned me and said she found 2 B&O's under her bed in her house. I don't remember doing that, couldn't remember even what they were. I thought to myself, instead of hoarding them rather let other people enjoy them and keep them going. So I sold a lot of them, it was quite therapeutic....I still have quite a bit stored away but when I buy a new B&O, I try to stick to the rule that I must then sell one. Its not easy and had a mild panic attack when I sold my Beosystem 8000. 

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 786
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 10:27 AM

I have the same problem with Telephones, I love vintage GPO phones and have bought them, sold them, missed them and bought them back again. Now I have one in the hall and change it for one in my collection when I get bored or fancy a change. They still receive and make calls with excellent quality but don't have buttons and the new repro ones are poor quality in comparison. Besides which hardly anyone calls on a landline anymore but when they do it's a pleasure answering the phone. 

It's the same with the few bits of vintage B&O I have - can't bear to get rid of it and it's fun swapping items around.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 712
Gold Member
beojeff:

I, too, have a Bedtime that I don't use but that sparks joy to me!

Perhaps if you're ever passing through Indianapolis, your BeoMaster 8000 might adopt my BeoCord 8000.

P.S. I forgot to list in my "collecting dust" items my 2 BeoSystem 1 units. I definitely don't need to keep these. They NEVER sparked joy but just frustration. They won't fit in my Porsche to take them for proper disposal. Must I disguise myself to take them to the dumpster when no one is watching?

The beomaster 8000 is always willing to adopt, it has a huge heart with lots of love to give and I still make mix tapes.

Getting rid of these kinds of items can be fun or really sad. I’ve met a few other B&O loving friends getting rid of stuff.

Recently I locally sold quite a few B&O items I had repaired and sold really cheap to avoid clutter. One person lovingly packed my MX5000 into a bed of foam in his station wagon and padded all the edges and corners. Next person threw a Beomaster 6000 I had spent a considerable amount of time repairing in the back of his pickup truck bed with no padding whatsoever. I asked if he was actually going to transport it that way, he said, “I ship this stuff by the crate-load to China. They don’t care.”
AdamS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 238
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 1:03 PM

Saint Beogrowler:

Next person threw a Beomaster 6000 I had spent a considerable amount of time repairing in the back of his pickup truck bed with no padding whatsoever. I asked if he was actually going to transport it that way, he said, “I ship this stuff by the crate-load to China. They don’t care.”

I'm afraid I'd have snatched it back, given him his money back and told him where he could go at this point!

I do occasionally sell B&O bits but, generally, they all 'spark joy' in me - that's why I've got them.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 583
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 2:58 PM

I have a pair of 8000s and 4000s gathering dust right now.  I also have kids who are close to moving out so maybe they'll take a set with them.  

I have 4 beolink wirelesses that I'm afraid to sell because I don't want to pass along the frustration they've caused me.  Not that I've ever had much luck selling things anyway...  

A broken BeoPort.  A broken BS2 (mp3 player).  What's with holding on to this broken stuff?  

Assorted Beolink connectors

No joy being sparked here.

Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
Posts 3,574
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 8:30 PM

Saint Beogrowler:

I totally place myself in this category.

I cannot tell you how much I want to buy a brightly colored BeoCom 2000 or yellow BeoCom 2. Other gadgets spark joy but sadly they are hard to use these days... Looking at you Serene and BS2. But of course I have no practical need for any of these objects today. Maybe some day I'll have an office where I can get a landline of my own and have an excuse for a corded phone!

It's hard to admit but even the convenience of CD's isn't very strong these days either and my 2300 gets used very rarely. I've always wanted a BS9000 but now I am wondering if it will be just an expensive piece of decor.

Don't get me started on old CRT units... I'd ditch my BV8 in a second if I could get someone to help me carry a clean, operational, blue BeoVision AV9000 up the stairwell to my apartment!

Beo4 'til I die!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 1,833
Bronze Member
Mr 10Percent:

Beocenter 9500

Beo5 and 6 remotes

Are you giving away a Beo6?? I would gladly take one of your hands Stick out tongue
Tucker
Top 150 Contributor
Atlanta USA
Posts 407
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 9:38 PM

Mr 10Percent:

Beocenter 9500

Beo5 and 6 remotes

If you are getting rid of a Beo5/6, I would love to play around with one.  Only problem is I am in the USA, but I would gladly cover shipping!

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beogram 1800,  Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beovision 8-32, Beovision 4-65, Beovision 10-32, Beoplay S3, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,339
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 2:00 PM

Collecting B&O is - like we all know - an infection with the Beovirus.

Many of the older items are still looking great and have that mechanical magic (Beocenter 9xxx, 8xxx, Beosound 3xxx, Beosound 9xxx, Beosound 5, Beocenter 2, ...) which most of todays (and past) gear is missing.
As reliability is not the strongest point of some B&O products it's a good excuse to buy more than one of your favorite equipment as a backup and for spare parts.

I don't need all the B&O stuff... but - as many of you do, too -  I love it.
I have to live with its quirks; yes, and I WANT to live with its quirks even if programming e.g. a Beo 5/6 is some kind of imposition or official B&O documentation is often very scarce if you want to achieve more than the standard setups.

If you want a new and caring home for your Beo 5/6 and may consider shipping to Germany Mr. 10Percent, count me in.

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 431
Silver Member
marexy replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 2:12 PM

I'm looking for Beo6 for my BS5

if i find it for fine price, will buy it some day..

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,740
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 3:10 PM

Evan:

I cannot tell you how much I want to buy a brightly colored BeoCom 2000 or yellow BeoCom 2. 

I have a yellow gold one sitting here doing nothing - it's close to being thrown out. I mean, who uses a landline in 2019? Worse, who uses something as huge as a BeoCom 2? I can't even remember the last time I used mine and I have/had 3 of time. I think many of us live in a time warp of what we remember used to look good and still can't move on from that notion (which is why I still have them, even though they aren't ever used!).

Even big speakers in 2019? Who needs them? A BeoSound 2 will suffice for more than 99% of people as most people now have homes that simply do not need any more power. You might need speakers to flank your TV, but apart from this, I wonder how many people go out and look for expensive tall standalone speakers?

My most used B&O product? Perhaps my A9! Is there anything I'd be reluctant to sell? TVs? No. A9, probably.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,740
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 3:11 PM

TWG:

Collecting B&O is - like we all know - an infection with the Beovirus.

It was. I really don't lust after much B&O at all, particularly older technology. That 'virus' has left my system.

graemeben
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Bronze Member
graemeben replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 7:05 PM

Hi,

I am interested in the BC9500 and maybe a Beo5 if still available. Very kind and generous of you to offer this. Collection no problem, I only live 20 minutes from Plymouth.

I did email you, not sure if you received it.

Hopefully hear from you sometime.

Graeme.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,408
Silver Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 7:54 PM

We should probably be mindful to keep the discussion on the decluttering and "beo-bug" hoarding issues and not cross over into the "wanted / for sale" forums -- which require a paid membership.

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 627
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 9:58 PM

I love my BV5 (HD) and actually even use it more than any of my other modern TVs. Having said this, not even sure whether I could de-clutter it given its weight...

Also love my BC2 although I never use it. Same goes for my HDR2 and - to a lesser degree - also for my white Beolit 12.

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Shropshire
Posts 1,510
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Feb 16 2019 10:36 AM

Evan:

I cannot tell you how much I want to buy a brightly colored BeoCom 2000 or yellow BeoCom 2.

I went through that phase, and even had a little display of 'museum pieces'

I have all that (and much more) in boxes now and keep telling my wife that I will 'declutter' one day.  Problem is that we keep moving house hence I am never sure what I may 'need' in the next place :)

Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
Posts 3,574
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Feb 16 2019 3:10 PM

moxxey:
have a yellow gold one sitting here doing nothing - it's close to being thrown out.

I certainly don't have a landline now/yet but before you toss it, send it to me! 

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
Posts 3,574
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Feb 16 2019 3:17 PM

Guy:

Evan:

I went through that phase, and even had a little display of 'museum pieces'

I have all that (and much more) in boxes now and keep telling my wife that I will 'declutter' one day.  Problem is that we keep moving house hence I am never sure what I may 'need' in the next place :)

That is nice collection! My local dealer has a similar corner with a few sentimental items too. He has a single BeoVox 2500, loose IcePower amplifiers, BS2,BS6, Serence, Beo1, etc. Always brings a smile to my face seeing this old stuff.

I forgot to mention I also have a deep love for the BeoCom 3 desk phone. I'll never forget seeing one in use at my old dealer's shop way back when and thinking to myself "one day!".

Beo4 'til I die!

schatzoy
Not Ranked
Zurich
Posts 51
Bronze Member
schatzoy replied on Sat, Feb 16 2019 8:15 PM

I recently de-cluttered my living room. Got rid of my BL8000, BL2 and BL14 2.1. Replaced it with BL20. A BS2 , unlike Moxxey, would never make me happy. Purchased some Beoplay E6 headphones today. I feel like I want to get rid of them. The sound is just disappointing.

Still got a BC6000, BC2 and a BC5. Except for the BC2, they are still plugged in but do not get used, as I have a VOIP phone. I am just too lazy to remove them. Anyway, I won't find a buyer.

Kromer
Top 500 Contributor
Randers, Denmark
Posts 125
Gold Member
Kromer replied on Sun, Feb 17 2019 11:13 AM
I frequently de-clutter my B&o, as I find that I simply can’t appreciate it if there is too much of it. One room one system is how I can best enjoy it and let the design present itself as it was intended. I do however like to rotate every now and then, as each system appeals to me in a different way. When something goes out of rotation, for whatever reason, I tend to get rid it so I don’t end up with too much stuff. Sometimes it is difficult though, as with my restored bl/bm5000. I love for it for what it is but I haven’t got the same love for using it and last time I only had it set up for 3 weeks before it went back in storage. So if I should stay true to my principles I should sell it, but I’m not sure I can Embarrassed
Page 1 of 1 (30 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL