Got a Beogram 4000 and RX2 turntable...need advice

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Pklineburger
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Pklineburger posted on Fri, Feb 8 2019 5:24 AM

i found a beogram 4000 (without the platter) and an RX2 (without a tip?) . I got both for $16 without knowing much of the brand. I got the rx2  working or at least spinning. The 4000 is in good shape and heavy but os missing the platter.

i may keep an eye out for a cartridge for the RX2, but I’m a dumpster diving treasure hunter and a broke one at that.

The 4000 has me really intrigued though,but how do I find a platter for it? What other models have the same platter? The 4002? And then, I know how to find a cartridge, but after all that expense I may find it doesn’t work mechanically or electronically and I have other projects I could work on. But still, I really really want to get this 4000 spinning again.

any ideas on how to proceed? Where to find a platter for the 4000?  I’ll post pics tomorrow 

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,158 Posts
Gold Member

The early Beogram 4002 turntables have a similar constructed platter as the Beogram 4000. The Beogram 4000 platter however has strobe markings on the underside because the BG4000 uses a neon strobe bulb to show the speed (via the strobe markings). The Beogram 4002/4004 turntables don't have that feature.  Here is a link to some pictures of the early type Beogram 4002 and later type Beogram 4002 platters. Half way down this page is a photo of the top and bottom Beogram 4000 platter. It shows the strobe markings.

The Beogram 4000 is a much more valuable turntable than the RX2 but not without a platter. An early Beogram 4002 platter would make it usable but not being original and not having the strobe feature would knock quite a bit off its value. It would still be a great turntable.

Seeing how you got it for such a low cost and without a platter you have to wonder what else is wrong with it. I would expect both turntables to require a complete going over by someone that knows those turntables to determine what they need to get back to working order. The Beogram 4000 would need a complete restoration I expect. 

Great finds though. You can't pass up a deal like that.

-sonavor

AudioOrigin
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Gold Member

I recently sold a bg4000 platter to Craig here on the forum, he might sell you his poor condition one if you don’t mind it looks a bit corroded.

If you want a better condition one, I might be willing to part with another one, but it will cost more than that bg4000 cost you.

The last bg4000 I saw for sale with no platter sold for £90 ish if I recall rightly, so you got quite the bargain there.

You should be able to test most of the functions without a platter, but if you don’t know what you are doing be careful not to make things worse., I would agree with sonavor that it probably has some issues.

Alistair

Pklineburger
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. I had been scouring the internet for hours and could not tell. I guess not having the stroboscope would be a deal breaker for me. But if later down the road I don’t find a direct replacement I might give it a shot. 

Pklineburger
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. I had been scouring the internet for hours and could not tell. I guess not having the stroboscope would be a deal breaker for me. But if later down the road I don’t find a direct replacement I might give it a shot. 

Pklineburger
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

I am definitely interested. Man I’d love to have this turntable as my main. I’ll message you. 

Pklineburger
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

I am definitely interested. Man I’d love to have this turntable as my main. I’ll message you. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL