Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,258 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA posted on Thu, Feb 7 2019 1:57 PM

Hi

I decided to replace the foam in my BL8000s. They have been working fine but as the foam causes such damage with time I thought I'd better do it. I didn't buy a kit but bought foam...cut it to size etc. Old foam was crumbly and almost felt wet. 

Once I put the speakers together again I was absolutely astonished at the change in the sound! They sounded magnificent. Treble was clearer...bass much tighter sounding and overall amazing. To be honest I almost had a tear in my eye. 

Anyone who hasn't changed their foam on their speakers....do it...its worth the hassle!

All Replies

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
211 Posts
Gold Member

Hi BenSA!

Mine are 20 years old,still going strong.Never opened.All I have done,some 4 years ago replaced fret cloths(all by myselfSmile)

Now,looks like it's time to check foam.Can you tell me what kind of foam you used as replacement?

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,258 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Thu, Feb 7 2019 2:15 PM

Hi OldJack

To be honest I just went to a foam supplier and just looked for one that looked the most similar. I didn't worry about the colour as its inside the speaker. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,068 Posts
Bronze Member
Doesn’t sound right. BL8000 bass element uses rubber surrounds and not foam. They don’t deteriorate in the same speed or way as BL6000 does.

The BL 8000 does have foam dampeners inside that does deteriorate and can cause issues with the internal electronics and also cause sound differences due to not damping the case correctly anymore.

If you really replaced your rubber surrounds with foam on BL 8000 I’m sure there’s a different sound but the foam will wear in a bit but probably never be as light as the thin rubber is.

I also do not think that treble would improve by this operation. Maybe a difference in mids however since these speakers rely on the bass to play those frequencies too.
OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
211 Posts
Gold Member

I guess we are not talking about rubber surrounds around speakers,but about this

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/15962.aspx

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,258 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Fri, Feb 8 2019 8:25 AM

I meant the interior foam..the dampening. I would haven't though that changing it would have made such a drastic change in the sound but it did. The old foam totally changes consistency of time becomes like glue. Clearly the change effects the sound. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL