Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beosound 9000 Mk1 with multiple issues

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 1 Follower

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member
dave_n_s posted on Sun, Feb 3 2019 2:36 AM

I've got a bit of a challenge on my hands with a Beosound 9000 Mk 1 that has cosmetic and functional issues.

I own a lot of B&O audio of my own (full system 5500, Penta II's, Beosound 2000, multiple remotes all in active use plus other stuff in my refurb queue) and have refurbished a lot of 5500 components and older as part of my retirement gig.

This 9000 came onto my plate in my other role - I volunteer evaluating and repairing audio equipment for my local hospice thrift store. This is a donation and my task is to maximise the return for our hospice.

Cosmetics first - one of the hinges for the control flap is broken at the bottom, not an issue functionally I think, and the glass has separated from the metal bracket it should be glued to at the right end (below the control panel). This may need fixing to get CD loading working correctly. Is that true?

Electronics: Powered up with nothing connected. Time displayed. Pressed red button at top of row of CD  buttons: CD6 displayed. I can also get other CD slot numbers displayed by pressing the button adjacent to that slot. Nothing else happens. The internal control panel has no effect, changing source or Power / stby etc. My Beo4 has no effect.

I'd bet that the door belt if there is one needs replacement, however I'd also expect to hear a door opening motor running when I press the row of buttons on the side, but I don't.

I can connect my Penta IIs via 7 pin DINs if that is needed to prod this guy into action. The reference manual does not say connections are needed for basic operation, but some forum posts state it is. 

What should the next troubleshooting step be, to at least diagnose what is amiss?

Beat in mind that my goal is to maximise value for the hospice. I'm equipped with everything needed to troubleshoot analog electronics  (scope, DVM etc), but not practiced in the digital side of things. 

My usual plan is to evaluate functionality and estimate value as-is and refurbished and then decide if it's most cost-effective to repair or sell as-is with a good description of my findings.

All Replies

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy, thank you.

I cleaned the lens with a just opened alcohol impregnated lens cleaning wipe, wrapped round a Qtip (cotton bud)

I then loaded in slot 2 a CD that looks good and does play on my Beosound 2000 - that CD player is a good CD quality test.

After I did that, the CD mechanism clicked softly 2 or 3 times and started to spin clockwise not very fast for a second or so then started spinnig very fast anti clockwise for about 5 seconds before it stopped. It did not play. When spinning it was very noisy. 

I repeated that on several different CDs in different positions.

I then went into TESTMODE.

Note that I could only get into TESTMODE with standby selected and being in TESTMODE seemed to mean I have to go through the AOPT 1 sequence again on the Boe4

TM 73 ran, with the same behavior - spin clockwise then anti-clockwise. At the end of the test, it displayed CD Error 7.

I repeated this several times and got CD Error 3 and CD Error 2 on every other test apart from the first. Most times the CD would spin, in one direction or both, some times not at all and the error would appear after 4 soft clicks. 

Also I repeated TM 71 a few times. Most times it ended with OK, twice it ended with going into standby when it was at position 3.

Peter
Not Ranked
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
54 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Sat, Feb 9 2019 7:29 PM

CD Error 3 is lack of tracking, while Error 2 is lack of focusing. Please see a sticker on mechanism for laser type description and look for a replacement on Ebay. Generally the whole mechanism doesn't have to be replaced just the laser alone. It's not a big deal with replacement, worse is that (as heard on this forum) not every new laser works.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,423 Posts
Founder

Keep in mind what you are doing. 

You're executing tests which are normally done at the end of a service or repair. 

Your BS9000 obviously doesn’t play cd’s in the first place. 

So, you need that sorted first. Another laser pickup could be the solution. 

Clean the testmode memory, try to play the cd. Look at stored error codes  in the memory again. 

Schletti82
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok, sorry to hear that.

testmode 73 is for laser Findling focus on cd.

you can try to clean the laser lens, but i‘m really sure you habe to change the Laser.

after replacing the laser you have  to run both testmodes again.

if you need further help. Feel free to ask.

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by Schletti82

I checked and cleared the codes. There were no recent codes that I did not expect - CD Error 2 and Sledge Error 39 (this probably from when Testmode 71 finished at position 3 and went into standby.

Some good progress though.

I ran TM 67 a number of times to see if I could match CD Error 2, 3 and 7 to particular behaviour.

By chance I noted that once the CD ran continuously and more quietly, still more noise than I would expect, and it turned out to be playing properly, with good sound on the headphones.

After a few minutes, I tried to play another CD and it started at the third attempt. I left it to play the whole way time. It ran much quieter also.

I also got it to play a CD a third time - this one stopped after about 15 minutes.

If this was not a very complicated B&O system that I do not know well, I'd think that the CD drive mechanism was dirty from being stored somewhere dusty for a long time and that it needed cleaning and lubricating, However I do not know this mechanism or the electronic controls.

Sometimes when I select play, it starts to turn very slowly one way then another, just 1/4 of a turn. Sometimes it spins about normal speed one way then the other very fast and sometimes it does not turn at all.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,423 Posts
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Feb 10 2019 12:00 PM

Schletti82:

testmode 73 is for laser Findling focus on cd.

It’s meant to adjust the APS. The Automatic Position System  

It calibrates the optical sensor in combination with the disc located on top of the cd.

This system sets the cd’s back the way they were taken. It requires a working lasermechanism to function properly  

That it shows an error is an extra advantage.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,423 Posts
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Feb 10 2019 12:05 PM

dave_n_s:

I checked and cleared the codes. There were no recent codes that I did not expect - CD Error 2 and Sledge Error 39 (this probably from when Testmode 71 finished at position 3 and went into standby.

Some good progress though.

I ran TM 67 a number of times to see if I could match CD Error 2, 3 and 7 to particular behaviour.

By chance I noted that once the CD ran continuously and more quietly, still more noise than I would expect, and it turned out to be playing properly, with good sound on the headphones.

After a few minutes, I tried to play another CD and it started at the third attempt. I left it to play the whole way time. It ran much quieter also.

I also got it to play a CD a third time - this one stopped after about 15 minutes.

If this was not a very complicated B&O system that I do not know well, I'd think that the CD drive mechanism was dirty from being stored somewhere dusty for a long time and that it needed cleaning and lubricating, However I do not know this mechanism or the electronic controls.

Sometimes when I select play, it starts to turn very slowly one way then another, just 1/4 of a turn. Sometimes it spins about normal speed one way then the other very fast and sometimes it does not turn at all.

Make sure that when you change to a different cd you open the glasdoor. It resets the TOC which is stored every time you change from cd. 

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy, understood. I have only every changed a CD by opening the door. I was running TM 67 in different positions by pushing the button under that CD.

Until I understand why the CD is not spinning properly and is sometimes very noisy, it doesn't seem a good idea to order a laser.

My next step is going to be to read the manual on disassembly and see if I can get enough access to clean the CD drive thoroughly. Any advice needed that is not in the service manual?

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member

One thing is very clear in the manual.

If the laser cannot focus, the CD motor will not start.

That is telling me:

- the faint clicking I can hear (1-5 clicks maybe) is the laser trying to focus

- as the CD spins most times I select CD play, directly or via TM67, the laser is focusing most times.

Is that correct?

Schletti82
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

If the original Cd Mechanismus is still inside it should be a vam 1205 or vam 1206.

both you can nix cheap.

if it is vam 1205 by a cdm12.4 if it is a vam 1206 by a cdm 12.6.

take out the laser of the new Unit in put it in your cd Unit inside the Beosound 9000.

very cheap lasers arround 25€

don‘t use the hole new cd Mechanismus only the laser for the old installiert one.

and you will See your Beosound 9000 will work fine again!

instead of surching for Hours take a new Laser and it will work.

believe me, The Beosound 9000 is one of the bang Olufsen Produkts I reparieren at least twice a week.

sorry for my english, in german it Would much easier for me to explain.

Schletti82
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

You can buy cheap 

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member
dave_n_s replied on Sun, Feb 10 2019 10:15 PM

Schletti82

Danke Schon

Should I fix the noise that the CD makes when spinning before I buy a laser?

Schletti82
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Can you explain the noise?

is it because the cd is touching something Döring Spinnengewebe?

when you lay the Beosound 9000 flat on the table, is the CD Mechanismus Set on the right Position?

two screws from the back.

is the Clamper or CD Mechanismus touching the CDs during the movement from one CDs to another?

Schletti82
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

During spinning?

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member

Schletti82

I set the arrows on the bottom correctly for testing the unit flat on a table. I really did read the manual before I started work!

The noise sounds like a noisy motor or perhaps coming from the CD top clamp. 

The clamp does not touch the CDs during TM 71 u.s.w.   

(Ich kann Deutsch lesen, ein Bisschen!)

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL