Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab 5 DACs and setup upgrading question

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Haubjes
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member
Haubjes posted on Mon, Jan 28 2019 2:16 PM

Hi all,

For a few months already I am enjoying a set of Beolab 5 2012 that I use together with a Bluesound Node 2 streamer. I really like their sound and design - quite happy with y choice. I use a coaxial cable directly from the Node 2 to the Beolabs. 

I basically have two questions:

• What DACs do the Beolab 5 use? I haven't been able to find this anywhere on this site (or elsewhere);
  • Has anybody had a similar setup where they subsequently upgraded the streamer to a more high-end streaming transport? In terms of pricing (~€500 Node 2 vs ~€10k Beolab 5) the streamer seems light. At the same time, how noticable would an upgrade be in terms of sound gquality, for instance to an Auralic Aries or likewise? As the Beolabs are fed with a digital signal, the streamer does not need to contain an internal DAC as it won't be used anyway.

Looking forward to your thoughts, thanks in advance!

All Replies

danne99
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

pauliander:
Hi everybody, I had a similar question regarding the quality of the BL5’s internal DAC some time ago. After we built our house I decided to put powerlink cables in the walls to connect BL5 to each other using a Beocenter 2 and a high end external DAC. It was more convenient to run powerlink than 2 coax and volume control cables through 20 mm electrical wall pipes... I have run my set about 2 years like that. According to the local B&O dealer (Knokke) a change to direct digital coax cables would not make an audible difference. For convenience I was adviced to use a Core which I eventually not bought. Instead I ordered new coax and volume cables at Sounds Heavingly. The stock coax cables from B&O were very thin and had large blocks at both ends. Steve’s cables also were just to thick to pull through the walls. However I disensembled the ends and was able to pull them through then. Boy was that B&O dealer wrong about the possible difference in sound quality. No offense but I only can guess these guys never compared it... Differences are huge between a powerlink fed BL5 and a direct coax fed BL5... even when using a decent DAC such as Chord Mojo. Long story short BL5’s internal DAC is very good Wink I have not tried the Core but in my set-up powerlink was the weak factor... cheers

Actually, i had the same question.

Iam driving my bl5s through a premium dac in to aux on a bc2 and then i got curious to feed them directly with digital and at the same time use the powerlink all made possible by the beosound core.

So i had some questions about the setup and contacted B&O support.

And got this surprised answer...?

danne99
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Anyone?

Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL