rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,285 Posts
Gold Member
vikinger posted on Tue, Jan 15 2019 12:14 PM

Just helped a neighbour to install his new Panasonic OLED TV.

The first screen that came up was a warning about avoiding static mages/ logos that may cause screen burn.

We seem to have gone full circle on this screen burn issue. Bad for CRT and plasma. Then it didn't seem to matter for LCD. Now bad for OLED?

Graham

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,543 Posts
Bronze Member

I guess that Panasonic wants to ensure that they can’t be sued because of screen burn.

This also means that they ‘know’ that screen burn is a possibility.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,285 Posts
Gold Member

Millemissen:

I guess that Panasonic wants to ensure that they can’t be sued because of screen burn.

This also means that they ‘know’ that screen burn is a possibility.

MM

Funny that when the majority of new TVs were LCD, the broadcasters all started putting fixed logos on their programmming. Now, will they need to consider logo removal as LCDs fall from favour?

Graham

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,183 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jan 15 2019 1:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcLasaRCzY

Endless amounts have been written on this.

Consensus seems to be that image retention is not the same as screen burn. The former is not permanent, the latter is.

Long story short, if you watch CNN or Bloomberg all day, which have huge banners covering alot of the screen, then there is the possibility of a problem.

Small sporting score HUD's I think are much less of a potential issue.

But in the end, it does sound as if OLED's require a bit of care, and some buyers view this as an unacceptable flaw / characteristic, and tend to avoid OLEDs.

Micro LED won't suffer from this, but there won't likely be any retail products for quiet a while (think 3-4 years until a proper retail choice).

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
561 Posts
Gold Member
Again though, if you’re anywhere near a normal viewer not much will happen. 4.5 hours a day with CNN on at full brightness still gives you 4 years of viewing time before you notice it on anything other than when you screen displays one single colour through out the image. So is it a worry? Not really. Do you only watch CNN? Just get help and stop doing that Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,183 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jan 15 2019 3:32 PM

I do watch Bloomberg TV quite a bit, though that's work related.

Since working from home, I did leave Bloomberg on for a long time on my 12-65, and there is a not small image burnt in.

That said, I never notice it (it was pointed out to me by my installer when he was round)

So yes, I wouldn't worry too much about OLED retention, unless I was a 8hr a day gamer (which I'm not).

Anyway, micro LED is still a ways off the time you can into a retail store and have a regular choice of sizes, brands, prices.

The Rtngs.com YouTube I posted earlier should give people some comfort, if I remember correctly.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
484 Posts
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Wed, Jan 16 2019 11:31 AM

The very reason the Eclipse does this when there’s inactivity.

It’s also not a good idea to switch off an OLED from the mains instantly after going to standby because it takes about 15 minutes for the screen to run a standby maintenance cycle.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL