This post has 56 Replies | 2 Followers

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Jan 15 2019 10:28 PM

AdamS:

I’m sure I read a while back that there was a new ‘bigger and better’ Cube....

A Dodecahedron?!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,944
Bronze Member

As you write - the ‘old’ cube is now part of Soundhub Denmark.

This cube is still heavily used by B&O - but not only.....along with the other testing facilities in the old R&D facilities there.

There is new ‘bigger and better’ Cube in the Innovation Lab (the old Fabrik 4) - but there are bigger and better listening rooms there.

For those, who want to learn about the Soundhub Denmark project - you could atart here:

https://soundhub.dk/test/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,944
Bronze Member

Sorry - should have been: ‘there is NO new ‘bigger and better’...

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,371
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jan 15 2019 11:28 PM

9 LEE:

AdamS:

A Dodecahedron?!

A tesseract. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Jan 16 2019 12:41 AM

Jeff:

A tesseract. 

My Nan had two of those removed. She could see again afterwards!  

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,944
Bronze Member

Jeff:

9 LEE:

AdamS:

A Dodecahedron?!

A tesseract. 

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Tesseract

MM

Tayne
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Tayne replied on Wed, Jan 16 2019 10:31 AM

Soren:

9 LEE:

Millemissen:

@Lee

Yes, in danish we say Gården - since you ‘only english speaking’ guys can’t pronounce that, you have to call it the farm 😉

My apologies for being English speaking. Unless you say " å " with three tongues and your teeth in your pocket, I'm sure we could manage it?! I'm not saying I could get much further than that, though. Geeked

My confusion was purely that it has always been referred to as 'The Farm' in any and all communication, both verbal and written, in person and on the internet from staff and even the public.  I do respect that the Danes have their own word for it, but sadly I was unaware.

The Farm (or correctly, Gården) to me is an iconic building. The design and construction is everything Bang & Olufsen stands for. It is SO Danish, so B&O, and it wows visitors. B&O needs the 'wow factor' - it's what the company was built on, wasn't it?

Whilst it was purely a business decision, and I understand that, I think it's taken away yet another unique element away from the brand. The Head Office is the Mother-Ship, the place you build from. Now it's some nondescript sheds and 90's looking office space. Not really something to be proud of...

Not sure who will buy the Gården, though. Struer isn't exactly rocking when it comes to business hubs, and there's so much land out there if you do want to build anything.

think it’s always been referred as “Gården” in the Danish catalogues, and “The Farm” internationally.

The letter “Å”  is only used in the Scandinavian contries Denmark, Sweden and Norway.....

you don’t need three  tongues to pronounce it, but you are in great risk of damaging the one you have😉

“Gård” means Farm!!

“En Gård” means A Farm!! 

And  Gården means The Farm😊

That’s a little lesson in the strange Danish language🤔😀

Søren

I'm English, not Danish, - And have been studying Danish on & off for a couple of years now and am still perplexed by the complexity of the Danish language on almost a daily basis! - And when coupled with the rather short/quick spoken word by the natives, I'm quite surprised how anyone outside of Scandinavia can come anywhere close to fluency!

A VERY basic small example leading on from the above...

'Bil' is the Danish word for 'Car'. It's a common noun so it adopts 'en' rather than 'et'. So e.g. 'en bil' means 'a car'.

Nothing changes when adding descriptive words, its constructed like an English sentence. So 'en gul bil' means 'a yellow car'. So far so good.

When wanting to refer to specifics (i.e.'the car'), one would take 'en' or 'et' and simply add it to the end of the noun. So 'Bilen' would be 'the car'.

HOWEVER, if one wishes to describe a specific car, the 'en' on the end of the original noun is then detached, changed to 'den' and then placed before the descriptive word & noun!!!! - So 'Den gul bil' would be 'the yellow car'.

so...

gård = farm

gården = the farm

den dejlige gård = the nice farm

And people say English is difficult......

AdamS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 244
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Wed, Jan 16 2019 12:59 PM

Back on the Cube, I'm relieved to find I'm not going mad (well, not completely anyway...). Here is what I read:

"Other interesting discoveries on this very brief trip? The acoustics department at B&O is on the move, from its current location – home of the celebrated ‘Cube’ measurement chamber – to new, purpose-built facilities in what was the Factory 4 assembly area. Already bigger, better listening facilities are taking shape, along with a new anechoic chamber, and I was assured a ‘new Cube’ was in the planning"

Taken from a report on a visit to B&O on the launch of the Beolab 50, from my reviewing colleague at Hi-Fi News; Andrew Everard:

https://andreweverard.com/2017/08/09/bang-olufsen-launches-a-conventional-loudspeaker-well-almost/

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,944
Bronze Member

I saw no ‘new cube’ when I was there in September last year.

The ‘old cube’ is now shared with other companies.

Maybe this guy talk about the playground of Neo Kaplanis

https://www.audioxpress.com/news/bang-olufsen-chooses-genelec-for-its-virtual-reality-laboratory

(Note: it is not Neo on the photo)

MM

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 256
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Fri, Jan 18 2019 8:17 PM

9 LEE:

AdamS:

A Dodecahedron?!

See what you did there Lee #BeoLab 19🙂

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 429
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 2:10 PM

The Farm (Gården) is now listed for sale.

https://finans.dk/erhverv/ECE11335946/bo-har-sat-en-salgspris-paa-sit-ikoniske-hovedsaede/?ctxref=ext

https://www.poulerikbech.dk/edc-erhverv-poul-erik-bech-skal-saelge-bos-ikoniske-hovedkontor-i-struer/

''B & O requires DKK 26.5 million. DKK for the building, which was completed in 1998, and which cost about 70 million. DKK on construction.''

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,580
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 2:34 PM

Yes and then Millemissen buys enough, there is a lot to save. Big Smile

https://www.bt.dk/erhverv/bo-saelger-ikonisk-hovedsaede-og-staar-til-at-tabe-millioner-paa-det

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 650
Silver Member
I’m sure there can’t be that big a demand for a property costing 26 million danish kronor. They might need all that space when B&O expands and overtakes B&W or Naim or Apple...
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,255
Bronze Member
That’s not that much for such a big building. That’s about $5.5m AUD

Why sell it if it’s at a loss? It’s throwing the bath water with the baby.

I don’t know who would buy a building that is a part of B&O? What could you put there ?

Maybe one of the beoworlders can buy it and have the ultimate b&o setup and rent it back to b&o for their campaigns Big Smile
OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 214
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 1:04 AM

Aussie Michael:

Maybe one of the beoworlders can buy it and have the ultimate b&o setup and rent it back to b&o for their campaigns Big Smile

What about five thousand Beoworlders investing 10k$ each,and let's party.

I am ready to participate,if I get nice pair of Pentas in return Cool

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Little Ann, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,152
Founder

Aussie Michael:
Why sell it if it’s at a loss? It’s throwing the bath water with the baby.

They need the cash more than ever now.. Cash is king in business and in B&O's current financial situation, nothing else really matters.

Regards Keith....

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 11:31 AM

Possibly not the best idea to build a stunning custom made structure in the middle of nowhere, then expect to get good money for it when you need to sell...

It's been said before that B&O should really have HQ'd in Copenhagen when property and land was relatively cheap, but that's history now.

Good luck selling the Gården (or Farm, as I know it).  I'd be sending the details to someone like Claas !!

Page 2 of 2 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL