Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Samsung 2019 TV's support AirPlay 2 and iTunes...

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 32 Replies | 2 Followers

jarnim
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
jarnim posted on Sun, Jan 6 2019 9:32 PM

Pretty interesting:

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-smart-tvs-launch-itunes-movies-tv-shows-support-airplay-2-spring-2019/

The market seems to be so brutal that even Apple is apparently abandoning their AppleTV.

Sadly, it seems like this will be exclusively on Samsung for the time being...

All Replies

jarnim
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
jarnim replied on Tue, Jan 8 2019 11:18 AM

Michael:

jarnim:
The market seems to be so brutal that even Apple is apparently abandoning their AppleTV.

It is not exclusive for Samsung either, LG, Vizio, Sony etc has already promised support and more will certainly come. 

My point is not the AirPlay 2 possibility -- my point is Samsung (exclusively) offering an iTunes Movies and TV Shows app, apparently programmed by Apple, which includes access to the iTunes Store as well as access to your complete library. The experience will be just the same as running an Apple TV! Eddie Cue looks "forward to bringing the iTunes and AirPlay 2 experience to even more customers around the world through Samsung Smart TVs".

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Brexit Island
135 Posts
Gold Member
Implementing Airplay in the Eclipse sound bar is looking like it wasn’t such a great idea. I love B&O, but if I can stream audio from my TV to other parts of the house using Airplay like you can with Beolink, I might be tempted to jump ship.
Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,343 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jan 8 2019 10:03 PM

andy_js:
Implementing Airplay in the Eclipse sound bar is looking like it wasn’t such a great idea. I love B&O, but if I can stream audio from my TV to other parts of the house using Airplay like you can with Beolink, I might be tempted to jump ship.

Interesting - it does raise the question of whether all TV audio (on say the new LG) will be distributable via AP2.

Right now, audio from Apple TV content can go multi-room, but not broadcast TV.

Will the new AP2 capable TV's be able to share all its audio? 

How does it work on the Eclipse? Is broadcast TV or any of the LG native apps share-able via the AP2 protocol, as opposed to B&O NL?

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,068 Posts
Bronze Member
jarnim:

My point is not the AirPlay 2 possibility -- my point is Samsung (exclusively) offering an iTunes Movies and TV Shows app , apparently programmed by Apple, which includes access to the iTunes Store as well as access to your complete library. The experience will be just the same as running an Apple TV! Eddie Cue looks "forward to bringing the iTunes and AirPlay 2 experience to even more customers around the world through Samsung Smart TVs".

No it’s not the same. I pointed out a few of the differences...
mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,671 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Jan 9 2019 7:18 AM

Sandyb:
Interesting - it does raise the question of whether all TV audio (on say the new LG) will be distributable via AP2.

My understanding is that it's a one-way possibility : you can stream to your TV from any of your Apple products, but nobody never said that it would allow to distribute TV (sound or image) to the Airplay protocol. It's just impossible as there is no other Apple product than the Apple TV that can act as a Airplay "receiver".

That's why there are still strong reasons to use Beolink instead of AP2. Those are complementary technologies.

About using AP2 instead of Beolink: please remind that Airplay 2 needs to stream from the iDevice, so you may drain your battery uselessly instead of streaming directly music to a Beolab from the internet...

BeoFrederic
Not Ranked
57 Posts
Gold Member
mbee:

Sandyb:

My understanding is that it's a one-way possibility : you can stream to your TV from any of your Apple products, but nobody never said that it would allow to distribute TV (sound or image) to the Airplay protocol

We need to understand the meaning of this provocatively ambiguous statement: “You can even play music on the TV and sync it with other AirPlay 2–compatible speakers anywhere in your home.” www.apple.com/AirPlay
mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,671 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Jan 9 2019 7:32 AM

It means "you can stream to your TV and others devices from your iDevice, and everything will play in sync". 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,203 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Jan 9 2019 7:37 AM

BeoFrederic:
mbee:

Sandyb:

My understanding is that it's a one-way possibility : you can stream to your TV from any of your Apple products, but nobody never said that it would allow to distribute TV (sound or image) to the Airplay protocol

We need to understand the meaning of this provocatively ambiguous statement: “You can even play music on the TV and sync it with other AirPlay 2–compatible speakers anywhere in your home.” www.apple.com/AirPlay

I´m quite sure it refers to the possibility to send music from your device to the TV and "sync it with other AirPlay 2–compatible speakers anywhere in your home", meaning you sync from your device and not your TV.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,213 Posts
Bronze Member

It's going to be great feature for Samsung, LG, Vizio and Sony (i believe) 

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Brexit Island
135 Posts
Gold Member
mbee:

About using AP2 instead of Beolink: please remind that Airplay 2 needs to stream from the iDevice, so you may drain your battery uselessly instead of streaming directly music to a Beolab from the internet...

You’re wrong. Airplay 2 can stream from the cloud, though I think Apple Music might be the only service to support this right now.
Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,343 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jan 10 2019 2:24 PM

Hiort:

BeoFrederic:
mbee:

Sandyb:

I´m quite sure it refers to the possibility to send music from your device to the TV and "sync it with other AirPlay 2–compatible speakers anywhere in your home", meaning you sync from your device and not your TV.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1547088002

So yes, it seems the new AP2 TV's will receive streams from an iPhone, iPad etc....but the TV audio cannot be shared to other AP2 speakers.

So as it stands, NL is still necessary for me - as I like to share the TV audio (of any type) to other rooms.

The new AP2 TV feature is a useful sub-set of course.

I'm not even sure Sonos (via a Sonos sound-bar) setup can even do the sharing of any TV audio to Sonos speakers in other rooms. Maybe it can, but I'm struggling to find confirmation of this. 

Anyway, NL lives on, for new at least.

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
183 Posts
Silver Member

Sandyb:
I'm not even sure Sonos (via a Sonos sound-bar) setup can even do the sharing of any TV audio to Sonos speakers in other rooms. Maybe it can, but I'm struggling to find confirmation of this.
Yes, but it works "backwards" to the B&O way: Rather than going to the destination and "joining" it onto the playing source, instead you select your PlayBar room, choose "Group", and attach the other Sonos speakers on which you wish to listen.

(Regarding the forwarding of AirPlay2 sound, just keep a simple rule in mind: All Apple has licensed is the ability to make an AirPlay2 *receiver*. They have reserved being an AirPlay2 *transmitter* all to themselves.  Regarding whether Apple might be "forced to abandon" making AppleTVs in the future, what they are aiming for is to collect monies for doing nothing -- well, nothing but holding, and maybe streaming, bits.  Wouldn't it be lovely, they think, if they could make money without all that annoying manufacturing nonsense, actual *building* of (eww!) *things*...)

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,343 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jan 10 2019 4:41 PM

Thanks for the clarification re Sonos, good to know.

As for the Airplay "limitations" with the new TV's, yes this was as I expected it to be, even before seeing the flatpanels article.

Someone else raised the question earlier in this thread, as to whether Airplay can replace NL. 

My response then, as has been shown, is that the AP2 capability of the new TV's may well be restricted, and not act as an Apple TV for example.

So yes, no great surprise, though good to have some clarification from flatpanels......NL lives on.

At least for those who use it / do multiroom in a variety of ways with a variety of sources.

Whether that will be the case in 5 years time, who knows.

ptrv
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
ptrv replied on Thu, Jan 10 2019 7:14 PM

So let me get this straight, a 2019 LG TV for example, cannot send the TV sound to say, to a Beoplay M3 in the kitchen? Or are you guys only talking about video streaming from an Idevice to a television? 

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,343 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jan 10 2019 8:34 PM

ptrv:

So let me get this straight, a 2019 LG TV for example, cannot send the TV sound to say, to a Beoplay M3 in the kitchen? Or are you guys only talking about video streaming from an Idevice to a television? 

Yep, doesn't sound like it - worth reading the flatpanels article, but they seem pretty clear.

it sounds like the new TV's will do the following :

1. Allow users to stream video from an i-device to the TV (assuming the app supports airplay streaming, though many do)

2. Allow users to use the TV as a Muti-room music speaker, in conjunction with other speakers in the house.

But it does not turn the TV into an Apple TV.

NL is more all encompassing with respect to sharing whatever TV audio with other NL-speakers, be that broadcast TV, streaming, Blu-Rays etc etc.

The new AP2 features on these new TV's is a useful nice to have subset - and welcome to that extent.

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL