rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 12 Replies | 0 Followers

rgbyhkr
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member
rgbyhkr posted on Mon, Dec 31 2018 10:30 PM

Hi all,

So, I have a new BeoSound Edge I was setting up at home today.  So far I love it and it sounds fantastic.  Oddly though, I can’t seem to get the bass port to trigger open.  The demo videos I had seen online suggest that it will do so automatically as you raise the volume past a certain output level.  I’ve tried that and even with bass heavy tracks, it remains closed (I have the front cover removed so I could clearly see and test it).  Am I missing something ion settings perhaps?  Software is updated to the latest (1.3.16694.138870393).  Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

neokaplanis
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by rgbyhkr

Hi Jeff,

The port is automatically changing to ported (or closed), there is no user controlled setting for it to work. The mechanical port will open and close automatically, followed by the DSP updates to maintain it's sound performance. It is independent of the input source (Airplay, chromecast line in etc).. It happens based on the volume step setting at the current moment. Definitely the port should have been open at maximum. It's not a fixed volume point, but anything above step 65 would be unlikely to be on sealed box setting.

There are some safety features on edge to avoid injuring someone, i.e., when the port cannot open/close due to an obstruction, it will be disabled. This might have happened to your product.

From what you describe i would suggest that: (1) remove power until the product dies completely ~1m. Let it reboot and check again. (2) Update product and try again (3) factory reset. 

If those don't work, there might be an issue, please contact your dealer, for his advise.

Regards,

Neo

All Replies

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member

hi rgbyhkr,

It should happen automatically past volume level 62, so very very loud! It doesn't have much to do with what's playing but more with how loud it's playing.

Michael

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

rgbyhkr
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

Even at max volume it doesn’t open.  No sign that it’s trying to either (as in maybe the mechanism is stuck).  My sources have been AirPlay, Spotify via Chromecast and BT.  Potentially a defective unit?

Jeff

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member

I wouldn't know that for sure, maybe, but ask your dealer first I guess. I am unaware of if any source can have an impact on this, although i think not, but it may be some weird oversight somewhere. Are you sure in the app there is not a weird setting that overrides it/is set to keep it closed? just an idea to start of with the basics as I don't own one and can't check here for you :)

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

neokaplanis
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by rgbyhkr

Hi Jeff,

The port is automatically changing to ported (or closed), there is no user controlled setting for it to work. The mechanical port will open and close automatically, followed by the DSP updates to maintain it's sound performance. It is independent of the input source (Airplay, chromecast line in etc).. It happens based on the volume step setting at the current moment. Definitely the port should have been open at maximum. It's not a fixed volume point, but anything above step 65 would be unlikely to be on sealed box setting.

There are some safety features on edge to avoid injuring someone, i.e., when the port cannot open/close due to an obstruction, it will be disabled. This might have happened to your product.

From what you describe i would suggest that: (1) remove power until the product dies completely ~1m. Let it reboot and check again. (2) Update product and try again (3) factory reset. 

If those don't work, there might be an issue, please contact your dealer, for his advise.

Regards,

Neo

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,413 Posts
Bronze Member

From the last answer, I would try again but with the cover on (for security).

Check with hand or a torch if it opens.

rgbyhkr
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

I sheepishly have to admit that even as techie as I pride myself on being, I didn’t think to simply reboot the Edge.  When it powered back upon, the port opened immediately and then closed again as the startup sequence completed.  Obviously a system check sequence that happens as part of a reboot.  Playing music and then raising the volume triggered the port to open above that certain volume level, closing again as volume is lowered below it.  So all seems to be working as expected now.  

Thank you for the help and the reminder of what I should already know - always try a reboot first!  (Facepalm)

Jeff

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

Neo should know - after all he is responsible for the Edge.

And how does it sound....now?

And how is it using in daily life?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,822 Posts
Bronze Member

rgbyhkr:

Thank you for the help and the reminder of what I should already know - always try a reboot first!  (Facepalm)

Software issue resolved :)

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,363 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Jan 3 2019 6:56 AM
rgbyhkr:
always try a reboot first!

There is a saying for that:

When in doubt, reboot

Big Smile
Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
988 Posts
Bronze Member

I have seen this issue at my local dealer, they said it had happened "many" times, and they just pull the power and it works again, until next time.

Seems like yet another SW issue ?

/Weebyx

Mvdm
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
Mvdm replied on Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:11 AM

I am experiencing the exact same issue with my BeoSound Edge, at least when I'm connected to wifi and streaming music through my edge through Spotify. Works fine for a bit but then at some point bass port is no longer triggered, even at max volume. Works fine again if you reboot the edge by unplugging it, but few days later the same issue emerges again. I also flagged this to my dealer and they told me the same happened on their display model...

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,316 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:32 AM

Weebyx:

I have seen this issue at my local dealer, they said it had happened "many" times, and they just pull the power and it works again, until next time.

Seems like yet another SW issue ?

/Weebyx

It sure is.

I encountered exactly the same when visiting my dealer to experience the Edge.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL