Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 2 Followers

schatzoy
Not Ranked
Zurich
52 Posts
Bronze Member
schatzoy posted on Fri, Dec 21 2018 10:57 AM

Hi

Former ***f member looking for some advice. I had a new pair of BL20 installed this week to replace my BL8000/BL2/BL14 2.1 combination. I did it for the looks mainly and to declutter my living room.

The situation is as follows:

- BS9000 connected to Almando Powerlink switch
- BV11 connected to Almando Powerlink switch
- BL20 connected to Almando Powerlink switch

Almando works like a charm, i.e. I can have the BS9000 and the BV11 working at the same time. Only problem is, the BS9000 produces a static noise, a buzz with some white noise. The dealer has changed the powerlink cable, situation improved, changed the mains cable, things improved further. But still, there is some buzzing and white noise. And we are out of ideas how to get rid of it.

Well almost, I have found a quick fix using the Almando app. I have reduced the volume feed from the BS9000 to the Almando switch by -6 dB and now the buzzing is gone, there is some faint white noise which is not really a problem for me. As a consequence, I have to increase the volume setting on my BS9000. Before, with the BL8000/BL2, I had the volume at 22, now I need to have it at 28-30 to have the same strength of volume.

Now my question: is that an acceptable fix for the issue, meaning do I still get the full experience soundwise? Or is there a better solution to resolve the issue?

Grateful for your advice.

Happy holidays and many thanks,
René

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,849 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Rene,

I haven't used the Almando switch, but a simpler option (without the buzzing issues) could be to link the 9000 into the AV input of the Beovision 11, then connect the speakers to the TV.

The only downside to this is that the TV needs to be on to play CDs on the 9000.  If this is of interest, please let me know and I can advise on the cables to get this working, without the buzzing noises.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Fri, Dec 21 2018 9:28 PM
Try to find second hand ml/nl converter on ebay. No buzzing and the sound quality will improve.
schatzoy
Not Ranked
Zurich
52 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Steve and Pat for your feedback. Very much appreciated.

The thing is, I want to have the BS9000 and BV11 operate at the same time, i.e. in a two-person household one person can listen to the BS9k while the other person may watch a show on the BV11 using headphones. I don't think that is possible with any other device other than the Almando device.

Further, there is a Sonos connected to the aux of the BS9000. I couldn't play the Sonos if I had to use the CD function on the BS9000.

Well, the options seem limited. I can live with the quick fix for now. Maybe over time, the "issue" will be resolved with software/firmware upgrades.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,292 Posts
Bronze Member

schatzoy:

The thing is, I want to have the BS9000 and BV11 operate at the same time, i.e. in a two-person household one person can listen to the BS9k while the other person may watch a show on the BV11 using headphones. I don't think that is possible with any other device other than the Almando device.

That is very easy!

BL20’s with the BS9000 and headphones with the BV11 😉

No need for the Almando-thingy.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

andybandy
Top 500 Contributor
118 Posts
Bronze Member

Have you ask Almando , if it can coming from the Almando it self? Maybe its power supply its defect? that need to be replaced? 

I dont now, but static noise, is normal from a bad cable, or from a bad power supply... 

andybandy
Top 500 Contributor
118 Posts
Bronze Member

Have you ask Almando , if it can coming from the Almando it self? Maybe its power supply its defect? that need to be replaced? 

I dont now, but static noise, is normal from a bad cable, or from a bad power supply... 

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Sat, Dec 22 2018 11:25 PM

Does the Almando box has figure of 8 ir a kettle type lead? 2 or 3 prongs?

It sounds like the ground/earthing issue.
schatzoy
Not Ranked
Zurich
52 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

schatzoy:

That is very easy!

BL20’s with the BS9000 and headphones with the BV11 😉

No need for the Almando-thingy.

MM

Well, I want to use the BL20 with the BV11 as well. There is no other solution to date other than Almando. I have checked with two different dealers. That is why, I originally purchased a BL14 2.1 just for the BV11 while the BS9000 was independently connected to a BL8000/BL2 combo.

Got tired of too much stuff standing around and wanted to declutter. Hence, I went for the Almando solution which is exactly what I have wanted for years. Now, I only need one pair of speakers (could also remove the BL2) and can run the BV11 and BS9000 simultaneously. I have Almando configured to give the BS9000 priority over the BV11, i.e. when both devices are playing, the BL20 will play the sound of the BS9000, the BV11 plays the sound through the internal speakers only. As soon as I switch the BS9000 off, the sound from the BV11 is played to the BL20. Genious!

schatzoy
Not Ranked
Zurich
52 Posts
Bronze Member

Pat:

Does the Almando box has figure of 8 ir a kettle type lead? 2 or 3 prongs?

It sounds like the ground/earthing issue.

Thanks Pat.

Yes, it has a figure 8 lead with 2 prongs. That's a very interesting tip. I already tried switching the socket (wall-mounted) this morning but no change there. I will follow-up on it. 

My dealer will also talk to Almando. However, due to the holidays, this may take a little while. Thankfully, I have the quick fix for now.

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:44 AM
Try turning around the plug in Almando box, will the noise change? Increase, decrease?
Pat
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:47 AM
Also worth trying connecting a cable from the back of the Almando box ( screw on the cover) to earth, you may try a radiator.

I’ve checked online and I don’t think your box has any screws on the back - it’s a psu for laptop type device I think.
stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,850 Posts
Founder
stefan replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 11:13 AM

I think it is a shielding problem.

As far as I know, the Almando switch has 8 pin Powerlink sockets, but they use only 4 pins - 3/5 signal L/R, pin 4 5V trigger and pin 2 GND.

https://cdn.starwebserver.se/shops/beoshop/files/multiplay-stereo-powerlink.pdf?_=1501589543

http://eu.bosscom.com/files/pdf/BOSSCOM-Powerlink-Switch-Manual.pdf

BOSSCOM switch is just the same as Almando...

I`d try Oneremote Powerlink switch.

https://shop.oneremote.dk/produkt/oneremote-powerlink-speaker-switch/

The Oneremote also switches Dataground (PIN 7) and Data (PIN 6) for Beolab displays like the BL5000.

The switch also offers galvanic isolation, and it is less expensive...

https://w3.oneremote.dk/oneremote/admin/typer/vejledninger/30017742u2uk.pdf

Stefan

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 11:41 AM
This also could be the case
schatzoy
Not Ranked
Zurich
52 Posts
Bronze Member

Pat:
Also worth trying connecting a cable from the back of the Almando box ( screw on the cover) to earth, you may try a radiator.

I’ve checked online and I don’t think your box has any screws on the back - it’s a psu for laptop type device I think.

Thanks for the tip.

I have turned around the plug...no change. There is also an earthing function in the Almando app. Tried it without success. I have floor heating, no radiator available Wink
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL