Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Mesh WIFI and Moment issues-- BO Design issue??

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 81 Replies | 1 Follower

Hockey44
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member
Hockey44 posted on Tue, Dec 18 2018 2:59 PM

Hello all,

I hope you are all getting ready for Christmas.  I am having a very frustrating experience with trying to get my Moment to work with a large 12tb Synology NAS and various hard-wired Beolab 5s.  My Moment for the past 2 years has never really worked properly as it always said "weak" wifi connection (on the tablet-- remote control) and craps out (technical term--  says on tablet my wifi "is too weak" although I have 200mbs fiber in my house!) even when in the cradle.  I brought the Moment to be tested in DK and they confirmed it is working correctly and MY problem is that I have a professional grade (Pakedge) mesh wifi in our home.  And it seems that BO products (ALL!!) do not work or well with Mesh wifi!  This is almost as ridiculous as my old BO tv did not have an HDMI cable!  Can someone please confirm that this is nonsense (I hope) and that in fact BO products work fine with Mesh wifi.  I have a Linksys Velop in NYC with Beolab 9s and have yet to try using the Beosound radio... I simply cannot believe that BO who are now selling more wifi speakers (finally to compete with Sonos) and have Mesh issues.  This is NOT a problem with my 1 Sonos speak I might add....hmm.

We have still not figured out how to use our Beosound 9000 and the Moment to 'control'.  Clearly BO have not figured out how to integrate their own technology (and then don't want to support it)-- I really wonder how this is tolerated in today's market with so many alternatives.  We have spent a lot of money on our much beloved BO products and aesthetics, however the after-sales support leaves so much to be desired.  A very un-Danish experience if I dare say so.

And for anyone in London, can you please suggest a very experienced and competent BO technician who knows and understands how the Moment is supposed to work and might be able to help me out.

Merry Christmas!

All Replies

Hockey44
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

Here is the weird thing, I listened to a few time the tracks "Hold On" from Greg Porter and really liked it.  So after all the nonsense with the Moment I had and it is seemingly finding so far the other stuff (although with 60k tracks I will never know)-- I wonder why it doesn't find it now?  Do things just get corrupt for no reason?  I wonder if I can go into the NAS directly and search for the track and see if it would play on my networked iMac?  Is that worth a try? Thanks

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
126 Posts
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Fri, Jan 18 2019 10:16 PM
Holding On by Gregory Porter?
kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
170 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav replied on Fri, Jan 18 2019 10:56 PM

Hockey44:
I wonder if I can go into the NAS directly and search for the track and see if it would play on my networked iMac?  Is that worth a try?

No it's not possible to trigger anything from the a NAS unit but for this you would use the B&O app which gives you the possibility to access Deezer, TuneIn, DLNA-source and as well browsing the DLNA-source by folders structure and files. This would do the trick for you.

Also, did you enable the Expert Mode for DLNA-source? Guess it would run smother since you will avoid having to harvest automatic and with your +60k tracks this could most likely cause the unit to go on it's knees. At least it was we learned previously in this thread.

Hockey44
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member
Hockey44 replied on Fri, Jan 18 2019 11:06 PM

Where do I find the 'expert mode'? I will immediately try that...that would be wonderful if it solved the problem so I could hear "Holding On" again..hah

Since I don't have any wireless BO speakers I haven't been using the App.  But I do have it on the phone-- I never thought of using that to search the DNLA.  Should that work? I wasn't aware how to 'activate' or ensure the App would 'see' my Synology NAS.  Thanks

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,302 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Jan 19 2019 9:16 AM
Hockey44:

Since I don't have any wireless BO speakers I haven't been using the App. But I do have it on the phone-- I never thought of using that to search the DNLA. Should that work? I wasn't aware how to 'activate' or ensure the App would 'see' my Synology NAS. Thanks

Tap on the cog wheel up to the right in the app.

Tap Music.

Tap DLNA

The app should see your NAS so that you can select it.

Back on the start page in the app, your NAS content will appear under Music. Scroll down under all Deezer content.

DLNA publish three folders and its only Music (obviously) that is relevant here.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,302 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Jan 19 2019 9:20 AM
Hockey44:

Where do I find the 'expert mode'?

Remove the lid on the Moment.

Setting is under “add your content” or similar (my menu is Swedish Smile) and then tap “DLNA”.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,019 Posts
Gold Member
@Hiort: don’t you have a « refresh » option ? I find strange and weird that you have the « rebuild » option straight after the Expert mode. I don’t have access to my Moment right now but I think that (1) I don’t have the (beta) label and (2) I have the « rescan » option to manually refresh my library without rebuilding the full library.

Or does « Av » means inactive ? Unsure

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,019 Posts
Gold Member
@Hockey44: I suggest you host kimhav, Hiort and myself for a couple of days and will setup you Moment like « Experts » !

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,302 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Jan 19 2019 2:56 PM
mbolo01:

Or does « Av » means inactive ?

Correct, it does. I don’t use expert mode myself.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,302 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Jan 19 2019 2:56 PM
mbolo01:

@Hockey44: I suggest you host kimhav, Hiort and myself for a couple of days and will setup you Moment like « Experts » ! BS Moment, BS Core, BS 1, BL 18, BL 19, A6, M5, M3, A1, H5

I’m in Big Smile

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
170 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav replied on Sat, Jan 19 2019 3:16 PM

mbolo01:
Or does « Av » means inactive ?

Here is how this screen looks in English:

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
170 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav replied on Sat, Jan 19 2019 3:38 PM

Hockey44:
Since I don't have any wireless BO speakers I haven't been using the App.  But I do have it on the phone-- I never thought of using that to search the DNLA.  Should that work? I wasn't aware how to 'activate' or ensure the App would 'see' my Synology NAS.

Well, it's not really your NAS that you'll connect to it's the Moment content based on that it has harvested your DLNA-server for the content - Okay, in the end it's just a technical detail. But, I would recommend that you setup the B&O App to utilise the Moment as this will really lift your usage of the Moment to the next level based on that the unit will be far more in reach. Also, if there are multiply users in the household everybody can access the Moment from the phone and you'll able to enjoy Dj battles Big Smile I make use of the phone app every single day and during the day; so quite often I'll never use the Moment panel and keep the wooden side up on the Moment.

Here are a few screen shoots from the Android version of the app:

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,019 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav:

Here are a few screen shoots from th

To be transparent, browsing the DLNA collection is not as sexy as the screenshot posted here which are Deezer collection related only. Cover and search are not there and browsing the synology DLNA collection may be more tedious than Twonky which has useful entry points such as Artist Index.

But the Jukebox is very cool for searches on de the Moment has fully indexed the collection

Hockey44
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member

More "fun":

I ran the expert mode and no change-- I can find for example a specific track "Holding On' from Greg Porter.  So then I went to TRACKS and searched for "Holding On" -- in fact there were many versions of this and songs that have "holding on" in their title.  I could not hear any of these?

When I activated A2 wireless speaker and went to BO app on iPhone and clicked on music-- it could find in my DNLA "Synology" but I could not go further-- I could not click on it and find folders like above.

This really is a total waste of everyones time-- sorry.  I suspect this Moment experience will be my last new BO experience.  Pity as I have Beolab 5 and 9s plus Beolab 3....

As a comparison, I bought a Sonos beam for my tv (my old wonderful BO tv did not have an HDMI cable from many years ago (oopss-- they missed that one!), but Sonos is so easy to set up and if you call them and have an issue, click on 'diagnostics' and it sends the relevant info to customer service and he tells you what to do. Basta--- this should be the gold standard of how to install everything.

BO is so busy (share price down what 30%) trying to sell headphones they have left their loyal, longstanding customers who have spent tens of thousands on their products 'holding the bag"-- figure it out yourself of use this excellent tool the forum.  I think we should start an action to get a new CEO who understands what a customer is-- and an existing customer has a lot more value than a potential one!  BO has in my opinion gone backwards in the most basic of fields-- "know thy client and treat him/her as you would like to be"!

If there is a BO Moment competent person in London who knows what is required and works please chime in....you guys are great, but I fear I am overstaying my welcome only reporting back things and not making progress.....it is probably a simple 5 minute fix which is what is frustrating.

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
170 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav replied on Sat, Jan 19 2019 4:46 PM

Hockey44:
This really is a total waste of everyones time-- sorry.

Absolutely not waste of time for me, I'll rather pitch in to move this in the correct direction. When it comes to the Moment the biggest misstake was to make it depend of external DLNA-source. I would rather have it the Sonos way which actually index directly from network directory. But, then again there are other limitation with the Sonos which was why I went the Moment route 2 years back.

As mbolo01 indicates that my above screen shoots was primary to show case the app for you but it's populated with Deezer content. Firstly, do ensure that you add the the Moment as product to the B&O app so you can control it in a far better way; just ensure that the phone and Moment are using the same WiFi network (meaning the same SSID). Once that done you then have to provide your credentials to TuneIn, Deezer and add the DLNA-source.

Changing the settings in the Moment to make use of Expert Mode does not make any difference from user experience when searching, this is primary to get better control over the DLNA content. Among other you avoid having the system to harvest every once a while for new content and as previously mentioned in this thread the playlist on your DLNA-source for latest played tracks gets updated frequently which then of course gets the Moment to scan more frequently... Stupid and it would be nice if these dynamic play lists could be disabled in the DLNAs-source (at least it's not possible in the Twonky server which I'm using.

So when you search on the Moment it will show you results of Holding On from all of the sources that you have and not only the DLNA-source. So thats where we now should ensure that your Moment is included in the B&O app as product and once this is done and it been setup you should try to enter the DLNA-source by using the Folder structure (in the image below you'll notice the grey icon under BeoMusic (Saruman) - which is what I named this music archive and Saruman is the name of the NAS or actually hostname). Then you would be able to click directly to the track you want to play and it should play it regardless of how bad the mp3 tagging would be. If it doesn't play the file would either be corrupt or of none supported format.

Here is how it looks like if I click my way through the app using the Folder structure:

Page 5 of 6 (82 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL