Beomaster 2000 - newbie questions about wiring up non B&O speakers

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

tiktokrick
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
tiktokrick posted on Mon, Dec 3 2018 3:09 PM

Hi Everyone, I picked up a Beomaster 2000 (2912) model as a bit of a treat to myself and I was hoping for some basic help to get started. 

I have a pair of Canon S30 mushroom speakers that I want to connect to the amp. However, the B&O connector plugs have me flummoxed. I am unclear what each prong does on the connectors and how to them up.

The S30 have 2 connectors with one wire going to each connector. The B&O connectors are the 2 prong type which use 2 wires per side. How do I correctly connect these speakers to some (aftermarket) B&O connectors? 

Proposed connectors

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,520 Posts
Founder

I suggest you ask Steve at Soundsheavenly in the UK.
He is the master when it comes to cables.

Using those red and black plugs in your post would be asking for trouble. They easily short and that'll take out your amplifier.

And those "strange B&O plugs" are 2-pin DIN and actually the only worldwide industrial standard for home-stereo speakers.
It's everything else, including those "strange springy clamps" at the back of your speakers, that are non-standard.

Pin is positive.
Spade is negative.

Martin

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,062 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Mon, Dec 3 2018 4:02 PM

I feel very nervous here because I'm going to question Martin's wisdom...Surprise

Question 1 to tiktokrick - The photo of the white cable with B&O plugs on the end - are you in possession of this cable? If so, simply strip the ends to expose about 1 Cm of bare wire. put the cable with the grey line on it into the same coloured terminal of each speaker - it doesn't matter which terminal as long as both speakers are the same.

Question 2 to Martin - Am I right in thinking you maybe thought the same as me at first - that with the connectors, the screws that are visible are to close to each other, increasing the risk of shorting? The bare wire doesn't go around the screws - it goes into the holes and the screws then hold the wire in the holes. On this basis I would have thought that they were fairly safe?

I stand (well, I'm sitting actually) to be corrected!

Cheers

Nigel

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
1,062 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Mon, Dec 3 2018 4:02 PM

I feel very nervous here because I'm going to question Martin's wisdom...Surprise

Question 1 to tiktokrick - The photo of the white cable with B&O plugs on the end - are you in possession of this cable? If so, simply strip the ends to expose about 1 Cm of bare wire. put the cable with the grey line on it into the same coloured terminal of each speaker - it doesn't matter which terminal as long as both speakers are the same.

Question 2 to Martin - Am I right in thinking you maybe thought the same as me at first - that with the connectors, the screws that are visible are to close to each other, increasing the risk of shorting? The bare wire doesn't go around the screws - it goes into the holes and the screws then hold the wire in the holes. On this basis I would have thought that they were fairly safe?

I stand (well, I'm sitting actually) to be corrected!

Cheers

Nigel

patriccho1971
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi.

I guess you are unclear about the polarisation of the cables.

The small one (pin) is + (hook it up to the red side of your speakers)

The wide one is ground

regards

patrick

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,520 Posts
Founder

The problems with those plugs are many.
The screws are not very good at holding the cables and the wires won't go very deep. The screws can barely hold the wires.
The wires - or even worse an amount of strands - slip out at even the slightest pull, and with some strands out the tension on the rest disappears.

The plastic gets brittle, they crack and fall apart. The red ones are particularly prone - but the black ones are bad too.
I throw them away every time I see them on things coming in for repairs here.

Martin

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
1,062 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Thu, Dec 6 2018 11:39 AM

I sit corrected! Embarrassed

Cheers

Nigel

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
641 Posts
Gold Member
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153195831707

Or you can get a set premade from sounds heavenly. I wouldn’t cut off the female ends of the s30 b&o cables.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL