rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Caed
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Caed posted on Thu, Nov 29 2018 11:05 AM

Hi everyone, 

I have been using my BeoLab 7.1 with a Toshiba TV since 2016 using this lead to connect thought the TVs 3.5mm headphone socket: https://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=6497

Everything works as it should, power link switched the speaker on and off using the USB in my TV etc. And it sounds amazing when playing music or TV at high volume. But at normal listening volume the dialogue is much too quiet. Especially when there is background music. 

Has anyone got this issue as well?

Is the BeoLab 7.1 only 2 channel or is it 3 channel and I have cut out the centre channel using the 3.5mm jack? 

Is it because it is designed to work in conjunction with the B&O TV speakers to fill in the dialogue/ centre channel?

I am about to buy a new TV and would like to use this with it through a new Optical lead instead of a 3.5mmw will this help in any way do you think? 

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
153 Posts
Gold Member

I have excellent audio from my 8 years old Panasonic 42''plasma,connected by 3.5 mm headphone jack output into Beolab 7.1 powerlink (cable from Steve).And dialogs,as well as music,fine at all volume listening levels.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,Earphones A8,Keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,205 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi and welcome to Beoworld,

sorry to say it - this is what comes from using a good speaker with a tv, that has a bad audio solution.

The 7.1 is a stereo speaker/2.0.

On a BeoVision with external front speakers it is normally used as the center channel - combining the 2 channels to one, which is feed with a center signal from the BV.

But the 7.1 is also excellent, when used as the only speaker with a BV (in stereo mode).

Complaints about loosing dialog there are seldom heard by the owners.

The output from a headphone jack however, will never be the best.

Using a digital/optical output from the or another tv will cause new problems.

Since the 7.1 has only analog-in (the PL) you will need a converter from digital to analog in between....

....which normally may introduce a slight sound delay - and you will not be able to control the volume of the digital output.

Modern tv’s (exept for the BV’s and maybe Loewe) are focussed on picture quality (and SmartTV functions).

The audio is left for an external solutions - nowadays mostly for a soundbar connected via HDMI/ARC.

Another solution is to use a ‘surround receiver’ and the appropriate number of speakers for the sound part.....the 7.1 could be a part of that!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,205 Posts
Bronze Member

A solution, that you could consider, is the BeoPlay Connection Hub (obsolete, but should be available anyway).

This hub lets you connect the speakers/your BL7.1 using the digital output of a non-B&O tv.

In some cases - with certain tv’s - the volume can be controlled by the remote of the tv.

Whether or not you will be satisfied with the sound of the 7.1 in this case only a test can tell.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
153 Posts
Gold Member

I have excellent audio from my 8 years old Panasonic 42''plasma,connected by 3.5 mm headphone jack output into Beolab 7.1 powerlink (cable from Steve).And dialogs,as well as music,fine at all volume listening levels.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,Earphones A8,Keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Caed
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Caed replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 12:56 PM

Thanks for that guys.

Millemissen, thanks for taking the time to explain all that so well. Not good news for me but it's nice to know. - I am resisting buying a new soundbar because I love the build quality, and the sound sometimes, of this beauty! 

OldJack, It's very interesting to hear from someone with a similar setup. Mine does sound excellent, it's just hard to hear the dialogue when the background audio kicks in and I find myself clicking the volume up and down as not to disturb the neighbours. But it seems like you don't have this issue? 

I imagine my room does not help, TV and speaker are in an alcove next to chimney *** and I have hard floors, but the sound problem seems bigger than this to me.

Thanks for your input 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
1,769 Posts
Bronze Member
Try flipping the switch on the rear. Might be the bass-setting that don’t fit your ears.
OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
153 Posts
Gold Member

Caed:

OldJack, It's very interesting to hear from someone with a similar setup. Mine does sound excellent, it's just hard to hear the dialogue when the background audio kicks in and I find myself clicking the volume up and down as not to disturb the neighbours. But it seems like you don't have this issue? 

No,I really do not have any issues.Try to play with different sound settings in your tv.Also,as Leo sugested,on the back of BL7.1 there is switch wall/free

position,or something like that.BL7.1 is beautiful speaker,much better than many soundbars.

matador43
Top 500 Contributor
197 Posts
Bronze Member

Caed:

Mine does sound excellent, it's just hard to hear the dialogue when the background audio kicks in and I find myself clicking the volume up and down as not to disturb the neighbours.

If you're watching Christopher Nolan's Interstellar, this is absolutely normal and not a setup issue at all Big Smile

Caed
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Caed replied on Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:04 PM

Thanks everyone.

I have been playing about with the base switch and putting some soundproofing foam behind my TV (and anywhere I can get it without it being on show) and it has made a massive difference!

Now it sounds how I want it to and presents a new problem... How to connect it to a modern TV without a 3.5mm headphone port? :/

I'm very reluctant to replace it with a lesser speaker but I can't find a way to connect it via optical to a new TV and be able to control the volume?  

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
1,769 Posts
Bronze Member
You can use a S8 connection hub. They seem to be out of production. I have one extra. Send me a pm.
Caed
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Caed replied on Thu, Dec 6 2018 4:28 PM

Nice one, I’ve sent you a PM

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL