Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

How to reduce the treshold on beolab 50?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Peter Dorr
Not Ranked
Soest
22 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter Dorr posted on Sat, Nov 24 2018 12:19 PM

My Beolabs 50 are driven by a Marantz SR8012.

they are woken up by a teigger from the Marantz and kept alive when the soundlevel is above a certaun treshold in my Line in RCA of -53 dbV.

unfortunately when I play soft background music the speakers detect no spund and go to sleep.

I can read the level in the app but cannot change it to a lower treshold

any help?

thnx

All Replies

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Nov 24 2018 2:00 PM

Are you using the analog RCA outs on the Marantz to the Beolabs? That Marantz has a voltage trigger that is available on the back for switching electronic devices. You need a cable made up that will take that and the RCA outputs from the Marantz and turn it into a Powerlink cable so the trigger switches on the Beolabs and they won't shut off during low volume passages.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly (who advertises on the forum here) can sell you those and they should solve your problems.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,530 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter Dorr:

My Beolabs 50 are driven by a Marantz SR8012.

they are woken up by a teigger from the Marantz and kept alive when the soundlevel is above a certaun treshold in my Line in RCA of -53 dbV.

unfortunately when I play soft background music the speakers detect no spund and go to sleep.

I can read the level in the app but cannot change it to a lower treshold

any help?

thnx

Which kind of trigger are you referring to - a trigger should keep the port open no matter how the signal is.

However, the RCA input is able to open up, whenever an incoming signal is present/is detected.

There is a setting for the RCA connection called ‘Detection Threshold’ - there you should be able to alter the value.

Look at page 25 in the User Guide of the 50’es for more 

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/home/collection/collection-speakers/BeoLab-50/bang-olufsen-beolab50-whitepaper-v5.pdf#page26

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
489 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter, 

I am not familiar with the workings of the BL50's - only the BL90's.

However, I assume they work in a similar manner with the possibility that the BL50s have slimmed-down function over the full-fat 90's.

In the technical paper https://www.bang-olufsen.com/ContentV3/downloads/BeoLab90/bang-olufsen-beolab90-whitepaper.pdf

Section 6.1 shows how you can prioritize signals from USB/RCA/SPDif and the trigger thresholds for each.

You should not need any additional equipment or cables to execute this.

The Beolab 90/50 App or direct webpage access over Windose Edge/IE will allow you to make these configuration changes

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,530 Posts
Bronze Member

The OP asked for the behaviour of the RCA input.

As stated above for this analogue input there is a Threshold Detection (on the BL 90 this is also the case for the XLR input).

Here the sensivity can be changed according to the input signal of the source.

The digital inputs however, have Auto Detection - on or off.

There is no need for a trigger signal with the RCA input - no use for it.

@Peter

Is your Marantz the only used source with the BL50’s?

MM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,903 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

In this case changing the detection threshold for the RCA input is the key, no special cable is needed. (Although I am always happy to help with cables if required!)

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
489 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

The OP asked for the behaviour of the RCA input.

As stated above for this analogue input there is a Threshold Detection (on the BL 90 this is also the case for the XLR input).

Here the sensivity can be changed according to the input signal of the source.

There is no need for a trigger signal with the RCA input - no use for it.

MM - Not sure what point you are trying to prove. Pedantic.

RCA - an analogue signal can have a default detection threshold -76dbv. All that Peter needs to is a) adjust this value to suit his Marantz (-53dbv) source and b) adjust the time out so that he can play quiet sections of music without the BL50's going to sleep.

Cutting being pedantic aside.....

1. Source to help Peter - given

2. Peter to read manual - I assume he will 

3. Peter being smart will work-out exactly what he now needs to do to solve his problem

Simples!

Peter Dorr
Not Ranked
Soest
22 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you all for your answers and in the end the solution was much simpler than I expected. As I wrote in my original post I figured out that I had to reduce the treshold myself already.

The problem was that when I clicked on the dbV number in the app I could not adjust it, but when I clicked  on the words "Detect Treshold" a slider appears. I only found the latter out by accident today.

Now I can adjust it so I am sure the problem will easily be solved by changing it.

Thanks again for your support and apologies for asking a pretty silly question in the end...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,530 Posts
Bronze Member

Mr 10Percent:

MM - Not sure what point you are trying to prove. Pedantic.

I was just pointing out that the terns used for (and the way these react) are different for the analogue and the digital ports.

There was no need to involve the digital port here

Call that ‘pedantic’, if you please.

Obviously - exactly the hint, that I gave in my first post (changing the threshold value) was the solution.........as stated by Peter Dorr in his last post.

MM

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL