4K video options?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Tomb73
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
Tomb73 posted on Fri, Nov 16 2018 3:19 AM

I have a Beosystem 3, with supporting speakers, for my main tv environment.   I use a non-B&O display.   Am now starting to think that 4K is close to being a reality, but see no practical option for shifting from my current setup to a 4K display while staying a B&O customer.    

Am not interested in spending $10,000 for a TV, and am not getting any kind of warm feeling from B&O that they care, or will have any 4K offerings that mortals can afford.   So, is there any simple option for just using the Beosystem 3 as the Audio portion of my setup?   Or should I just give up on B&O (as most of the US seems to have done) in my plan to move to a 4K capability?

Hate to see B&O giving up on me, but.....

Any thoughts?   

All Replies

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,326 Posts
Silver Member
What about a Apple TV 4K and run the sound to the BS3? You would need a toslink to spdif converter, but that is not a big issue.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
1,824 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Fri, Nov 16 2018 7:10 AM

Check something like HDFury intégral 2: in theory you should be able to get one 4K HDMI output for your screen and one FHD output for your BS3 (for sound). And if you need more external 4K sources, you can get an Atlona 4K switch to plug before the HDFury, controlled by BS3 PUC.

A lot of boxes... but it should work

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:28 AM
One thing to be aware of is lip sync issues and audio delays when adding toslink/spdif converters, HDMI audio splitters, or multiple “boxes”.

In some instances, the lip sync can’t be fixed, even after adjusting the delay in the advanced settings.

Just keep an eye out as you configure... research audio delay issues with a particular chain you light be considering... that’s the great thing about online forums 👍

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:35 AM
Duplicate post

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
881 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Fri, Nov 16 2018 10:15 AM
Couldn’t you have the 4K TV be the main video switch and use an available HDMI ARC output back to the BS3 from the TV for just audio?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,480 Posts
Bronze Member

Howzit:
One thing to keep an eye out for, is audio lip sync issues when converting toslink/spdif, HDMI audio splitting, or adding multiple “boxes” in the chain. Sometimes the sync is so off, the delay settings can’t fix it.

Just research in the forums any particular chain you are thinking of to see if syncing is an issue.

In addition to that...it will be fun to control all that!

The simple controlling with a beoremote.....gone with the wind.

(Or sacificed for the sake of 4K hyping...imo)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Tomb73
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
Tomb73 replied on Fri, Nov 16 2018 1:57 PM

Well, sounds like at this point it is a 'build your own' kind of setup, which will take us out of the B&O 'simplification' world.   If that is the case, may just engage a local home theater company to switch out our Beosystem 3 for a manageable receiver, and see if there is some audio option to drive the B&O speakers from that receiver.    

Not anything I need to do now, of course, as 4K is still 'coming', with little or no content available from normal sources.    Would not go through the trouble for a few streaming sources, or the rare 4K video DVD.  

Am saddened that it seems B&O has abandoned the 'mid price' customers going forward.   

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
161 Posts
Bronze Member
tph replied on Fri, Nov 16 2018 3:20 PM

leosgonewild:
What about a Apple TV 4K and run the sound to the BS3? You would need a toslink to spdif converter, but that is not a big issue.

Apple TV, starting 4th generation, does not have an optical audio output, so either the sound would have to round-trip through the TV (assuming it has a suitable connection available for BS3) or one of those HDMI splitter boxes is needed, so that the sound can be separated from the HDMI connection.

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,480 Posts
Bronze Member

@Tomb73

to switch out our Beosystem 3 for a manageable receiver, and see if there is some audio option to drive the B&O speakers from that receiver.

That may work - there are adapter cables for that....as long as the receiver has line-out connections for speakers.

But you will loose the PUC-controlling of the connected devices and you will not be able to use the Beo4 at all....

....unless you venture into Lintronic or similar ways to get the beoremote working.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,552 Posts
Bronze Member
I changed from 2 BeoSystem 3 to 4. Better Sound. But will use HDMI spitters + Lintronic to use 4K in the Future.

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Sat, Nov 17 2018 8:15 AM
I have found the simplest solution is just an AV receiver.

Almost all have all the wireless streaming for music, connectivity to your smart phone, multiple sources, all with one simple HDMI connection to the tv.

Proper Dolby or DTS surround decoding, built is high quality DACs. For video, they all have full 4K and HDRI throughput.

One box, one TV, one remote, multiple sources. Multi-room capability.

All it needs to have is preouts. Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, all make exactly what you need.

The multi-box thing, I feel is a thing of the past.

I’m running 9.2.2 channels with all B&O speakers, and an OLED 4K TV.

I also have a Beosound 9000 as a source for my CDs. I am planning on adding a Beogram 8002 for Vinyl. So you can still incorporate a nice Beogram or Beosound.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,704 Posts
Gold Member

Howzit:
I have found the simplest solution is just an AV receiver.

Almost all have all the wireless streaming for music, connectivity to your smart phone, multiple sources, all with one simple HDMI connection to the tv.

Proper Dolby or DTS surround decoding, built is high quality DACs. For video, they all have full 4K and HDRI throughput.

One box, one TV, one remote, multiple sources. Multi-room capability.

All it needs to have is preouts. Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, all make exactly what you need.

The multi-box thing, I feel is a thing of the past.

I’m running 9.2.2 channels with all B&O speakers, and an OLED 4K TV.

I also have a Beosound 9000 as a source for my CDs. I am planning on adding a Beogram 8002 for Vinyl. So you can still incorporate a nice Beogram or Beosound.

If my issues with my avant continue after it is being fixed, then i will use my Sony A1 OLED with an axxim / axiim q box and some beolabs.  It also has one remote in that regard too

Question i have is there any sync issues with the sound?  Also which BL's are you using for which channels?  Are they always on (green), or do they switch in stand by ? do any of them turn off whilst you are watching something?  just out of curiosity.

Thank you

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
370 Posts
Gold Member

Just use any 4K source (apple tv,google chromecast ultra etc) and hdmi splitter.Hdmi from the source into the splitter,one output into the tv for video,another into the Beosystem 3 for audio.

Works fine with my Bsys3 and Google Chromecast Ultra.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL