rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 0 Followers

DinoD
Not Ranked
30 Posts
Gold Member
DinoD posted on Thu, Nov 8 2018 9:45 PM

Hello again everyone.

I am looking to stream music in multiple rooms. 

Speakers will plug into the wall (CAT 8 Connection) which will run to the basement mechanical room.

I was wondering what would be the better option Beoplay Connection Hub or Beosound Core to connect the speakers too. Or perhaps there are even better options.

Let me know if you need any other info to help me. 

Cheers,

Konstantin 

All Replies

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
1,781 Posts
Bronze Member
Chromecast Audio. Updated regularly, it is cheap, and sounds good. Multi room capable. Works on any device, app is updated regularly.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,246 Posts
Bronze Member

DinoD:

Speakers will plug into the wall (CAT 8 Connection) which will run to the basement mechanical room.

What kind of speakers would that be???

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

DinoD
Not Ranked
30 Posts
Gold Member
DinoD replied on Fri, Nov 9 2018 1:03 AM

How would I connect it and how would sound quality be compaire to the other 2 option.

also would it be any different going with Apple Airport Express 

DinoD
Not Ranked
30 Posts
Gold Member
DinoD replied on Fri, Nov 9 2018 1:06 AM

Beolab 

- 8000 with 11

Other speakers connect to Beovision thru Apple TV

- 12-2

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
1,781 Posts
Bronze Member
Buy one Chromecast audio and try. It has aux output.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,246 Posts
Bronze Member

DinoD:

Beolab 

- 8000 with 11

Other speakers connect to Beovision thru Apple TV

- 12-2

If I understand you right, all your products (with the speakers) are connected via MasterLink, right?

In that case, the easiest way would be to connect something like a ChromeCast Audio dongle to a BeoMaster via an analog input.

Are there any AudioMaster(-system) involved in your setup?

The better way (and more expensive, if that matters) would be to get a BS Coe and a ML/NL Converter - for full integration in the setup.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,246 Posts
Bronze Member

.....the AirPort Express could be used similar to the ChromeCast.

Or this one: https://audiocast.io/m5-wifi-audio/

MM

DinoD
Not Ranked
30 Posts
Gold Member
DinoD replied on Fri, Nov 9 2018 2:32 PM

All the above speakers are in different rooms, what I have done was have a datecated CAT cable run done down  to the basement. So the rooms would be free of wires and anything that would have to connect to the speakers. 

Rooms

1. BL3500 

2. BL4000 Pair 

3. BL8000 Pair & BL12 

4. BL8000 Pair 

5  BL5 Pair 

Would getting a beolink gateway help with my set up? 

They are not connect thru master link, can you explain it please ?? 

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
533 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Nov 9 2018 6:07 PM

MasterLink is B&O's proprietary, wired multi-room solution.  It generally requires a BeoLink Active box (or Beosound) per room which then allows the speakers to be managed independently (on/off, volume, loudness, balance, etc.) and control the "master" source (more on this later).  The BL35000 has the "active" functionality built-in.  The ML cable is proprietary, but I you can use a proper shielded CAT-? cable instead - hopefully, it is whatever you have run from room to basement - but I'm not sure on the details (CAT-6, CAT-7?).  The ML network is "passive" meaning it's not like Ethernet, with packets running all the time, but rather the individual wires either support balanced audio signals or control information.  This means you don't use an ethernet switch to connect them, but rather a ML hub.  The ML hub simple connects all the wires together.  I don't know if there's a similar device in the "standard networking" world.  Maybe something like a "patch board".

You don't mention any beosounds.  The ML network requires an "audio master" which is a BS9000, BS3000, BS4 or BS5 (there are probably a few others I'm forgetting - maybe some of the older beomasters work as well and older BeoVisions).  The ML network supports one audio signal at a time.  This means your "link rooms" (rooms without the audio master) can play what the master is playing, and also control it - that is, you can switch from CD to Radio or change the track on the CD from the link room (another feature of the BL active box).

With your configuration, you'd need an audio master capable beosound + 3 beolink active boxes + 3 IR pucs (to control the actives).  Given you have BL5s, I'd recommend a BS9000 or BS5 since they have digital outputs.  Then again, there are many different ways to connect the BL5, and I'm not the one to help you as I don't have them.  Note that B&O doesn't make any ML products any more so you're looking at 2nd hand.  2nd hand BeoLink active boxes are not rare.

Alternatively, you could hook each of your speakers to an Airport, Googlecast or other streaming device...  and use your cables for ethernet.  The advantage of ML is that it is hard wired so no drop-outs and works great (it's doing exactly what it was designed to do).  I have ML running to 4 rooms in my house and you press your Beo4 and it works.  The downside is there is only one source to play across all rooms (whatever the master is playing), and it's "obsolete" (B&O no longer makes it).  With a streamer like google cast, each room could play something different, but it would be wireless (unless you buy a streamer that supports a wired connection - they do exist).  In my house, my googlecast is flaky.

If you want to use your cables like speaker wires, you'd need some type of pre-amp that allows for variable output to control the volume, and you might run into some interference or audio quality issues if the cable runs are long.  I say this because you would not be running balanced signals, and my understanding it this is why ML uses balanced signals.

Hope this helps...

Stan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,246 Posts
Bronze Member

DinoD:

All the above speakers are in different rooms, what I have done was have a datecated CAT cable run done down  to the basement. So the rooms would be free of wires and anything that would have to connect to the speakers. 

Rooms

1. BL3500 

2. BL4000 Pair 

3. BL8000 Pair & BL12 

4. BL8000 Pair 

5  BL5 Pair 

Would getting a beolink gateway help with my set up? 

They are not connect thru master link, can you explain it please ?? 

In your earlier post you mentioned a ‘beovision’.

Which one and how is this connected to the ‘cat cables’, that you mention?

How is the connector - could you post a picture of it?

MM

DinoD
Not Ranked
30 Posts
Gold Member
DinoD replied on Sun, Nov 11 2018 3:41 AM

It’s a BV7-55 

with BL 12-2, 2, 3 & 7.6

its has one Ethernet plug, not sure what I could do with that 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,246 Posts
Bronze Member

There is an ethernet port in the BV7-55 - but that is only used to update the bluray player in the tv....and not for any daily use.

The MasterLink connection there? Isn’t that use to connect to the devices in the other rooms?

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,246 Posts
Bronze Member

By the way  - now I remember, that you are the guy with this question/problem (which seems to be solved now).

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/35220/261267.aspx#261267

MM

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL