Beolab 90 and MQA

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Ditlev
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member
Ditlev posted on Tue, Nov 6 2018 4:32 PM

I know the whole MQA discussion very quickly becomes almost religious.
But none-the-less, I was wondering if there was any way to hook up the BL90's to something like an Aurender, Bluesound or OPPO streamer with MQA support and get MQA quality sound streaming from Tidal?

Thanks!

:)
D

All Replies

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
166 Posts
Bronze Member

Isn't MQA just a weird upsampling lossy codec? So then it doesn't matter so long as the streamer and BL90 support the digital bit rate and depth, for example 44/16 or 96/24. No different to low bit rate 128k MP3 playing back at 96k - no benefit because you can't 'add' lost information but it works.

s/pdif & AES/EBU are standards so long as both ends understand same rates.

If connecting digital to digital, then the BL90 DAC does the work and does not care about codec, that's what the streamer is for..

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,036 Posts
Bronze Member

You already asked that question here - and I tried to give you an answer:

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/22885.aspx?PageIndex=2

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,036 Posts
Bronze Member

@davidr

Wanna know about MQA, start here.

He is a guy, who does measurements....no religious talk there.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,036 Posts
Bronze Member

Oh - I forgot the link

http://archimago.blogspot.com/search?q=Mqa

MM

Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
817 Posts
Bronze Member

Simpel question: why listen to example MQA if one can listen to original 24bit 96kHz PCM?

Or

What is the additional advantage of MQA other than another compression format?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,036 Posts
Bronze Member

Carolpa:

Simpel question: why listen to example MQA if one can listen to original 24bit 96kHz PCM?

Totally agree (and that was the reason for posting the Archimago links), but that was not the question of the op.

I simply tried to answer the question....in my the other thread.

MQA is momey making you pay for licences) and brings no advantage to the original format/PCM.

By the way - not everything labelled 24/96 is 24/96. 

MM

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
458 Posts
Bronze Member
MQA’s contribution to audio nirvanna is different from but similar to adding (artificial) “air” and how vinyl/analogue has its own “warmth”
Ditlev
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member
Ditlev replied on Tue, Nov 6 2018 10:45 PM

Millemissen:

You already asked that question here - and I tried to give you an answer:

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/22885.aspx?PageIndex=2

MM

yup - thanks, I did read it. Also pasted here:

Millemissen:

Ditlev:

Would bluesound+BL90 be able to stream MQA?

The BL90’s accect source material in (L)PCM format and as analog.

You would have to have the Bluesound decoding the MQA stream first.

As for the 90’s see this theead also - especially page 4:

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/35236.aspx?PageIndex=1

MM

I did not quite understand it though. I am not as much of a sound-tech expert as many of you guys are. 

I have a NAD+DALI MQA capable setup and I can her the difference between streaming the same music via TIDAL MQA compared to non-MQA. I do not have a trained ear, but to me it is clear, and I prefer it.
So, as I am about to buy the BL90's I was asking above to hear if there was a chance of me sending through MQA through the BL90s. I've also asked B&O directly, but I have yet to hear back from them. 
...And I still thinks it gets political/religious - so for now, I will just stick to my own ears. After all, I am the one making the crazy BL90 investment :)
Thanks for your help everyone so far ... though is it possible? Would I have to bypass the DAC in the BL90s by connecting via analogue? is that even possible? Wouldn't the analogue go through the DAC anyway?
D
Ditlev
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member
Ditlev replied on Tue, Nov 6 2018 10:45 PM

- double post - 

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
217 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Carolpa:

Totally agree (and that was the reason for posting the Archimago links), but that was not the question of the op.

I simply tried to answer the question....in my the other thread.

MQA is momey making you pay for licences) and brings no advantage to the original format/PCM.

By the way - not everything labelled 24/96 is 24/96. 

MM

THIS!!

To each his/her own, but I trust the following because Mark Waldrep has made the creation of truly high resolution products his mission, and Neil Young's site because it features Orastream variable resolution streaming.

http://aixrecords.com

https://www.neilyoungarchives.com

When the source material is anything less than high resolution, the remastered product may be great, but it is not truly high resolution. Don't believe anything because I write it, but do yourself a favor and check out the freebies for yourself. 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
434 Posts
Bronze Member

The BL90 can play 24bit/192 PCM. That is it. No DXD, DSD, MQA formats.

There are scribings on this board of individuals with some very high-end gear, down-sampling from DSD via an external 3rd party DAC, and then being reprocessed to 24/192 via the BL90 on-board ADC/DSP/DAC chipsets and being either very happy with the outcome or unaware of the down-sampling.

Bottom line is that it is very difficult to distinguish 16/44.1 CD bluebook from high res. 24/88 very hard and so on. 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,416 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Nov 7 2018 1:00 PM

Mr 10Percent:

Bottom line is that it is very difficult to distinguish 16/44.1 CD bluebook from high res. 24/88 very hard and so on. 

So true, in sighted, uncontrolled listening tests the mind is capable of inventing all sorts of differences that are not there, which go away in a proper double blind level matched test. It's like the old saying I learned in undergraduate physics when we were talking problems with an experiment:

It's very hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if he isn't there.

To which my corollary is:

But if you truly want him to be there, it's easy to convince yourself you hear him purr, even if he isn't there.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

oli
Not Ranked
Southeast of France
54 Posts
Bronze Member
oli replied on Wed, Nov 7 2018 2:43 PM

Carolpa:

Or

What is the additional advantage of MQA other than another compression format?

I listen MQA on Tidal because I don't have the suffisant bandwidth to stream the full Hi Res files from Qobuz. And I find the quality of the MQA above the 16/44 CD one for the same album . If I could stream the full HiRes files, I would. It is why I switched from Qobuz to Tidal recently, even if I prefer the musical orientation of Qobuz (editorial line). It is going through Audirvana Plus software unwrapping the MQA files to feed directly the internal DAC of the Beolab 5 (connected from USB on a MacMini to SPDIF via a M2TECH bridge)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,036 Posts
Bronze Member

Ditlev:

[I did not quite understand it though. I am not as much of a sound-tech expert as many of you guys are. 

I have a NAD+DALI MQA capable setup and I can her the difference between streaming the same music via TIDAL MQA compared to non-MQA. I do not have a trained ear, but to me it is clear, and I prefer it.
So, as I am about to buy the BL90's I was asking above to hear if there was a chance of me sending through MQA through the BL90s. I've also asked B&O directly, but I have yet to hear back from them. 
...And I still thinks it gets political/religious - so for now, I will just stick to my own ears. After all, I am the one making the crazy BL90 investment :)
Thanks for your help everyone so far ... though is it possible? Would I have to bypass the DAC in the BL90s by connecting via analogue? is that even possible? Wouldn't the analogue go through the DAC anyway?
D

Sorry for not being clear enough.

In my initial answer (in the other thread) I - on purpose - I was only referring to the technical options.

This means having an external device treating the MQA stream and letting it out through an analog output.

The 90’s have multiple analog input ports, that can be used*

There is no soever possibility to feed the 90’s with an MQA-encoded stream (through any of the digital inputs) and let the 90’s decode that stream.

On purpose I made no comments to pros and cons of MQA.

(These were certainly made afterwards in my comments In this thread).

Feel free to investigate on MQA and/or just judge by your ears - after all it is your setup and your joy of listening.

*You can not ‘bypass the DAC in the BL90’s’ since it is a DSP solution that also involves several DACs.

All ingoing signals are upsampled (for the analog inputs there is a ADC solution for this) and they all are treated the same way internally afterwards.

There is an indepth going documentation on the 90’s here:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/Files/user-guides/beolab90/bang-olufsen-beolab90-whitepaper-v8.pdf

MM 

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL