rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 1 Follower

matador43
Top 200 Contributor
290 Posts
Bronze Member
matador43 posted on Sun, Nov 4 2018 7:10 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm still (very happily) playing with my Beocenter 6 and some new questions have raised.
My understanding is when you select STB, you can control the STB via PUC and the IR socket. If so:

- What is actually plugged into the socket?
- How is programmed the list of devices you can control?
- If it can be somehow "hacked" or "DIY", would it be possible to control the (quite basics) functions of an Apple TV?

Thank you for your insights.

All Replies

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Shropshire
1,510 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Nov 4 2018 7:30 PM

matador43:

- What is actually plugged into the socket?

An IR transmitter like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132458103631?chn=ps  You place the IR transmitter end over the IR receiver of the box that you want to control.

matador43:

- How is programmed the list of devices you can control?

Go into the 'connections' menu of the TV and when you press 'OK' it should come up with a list of STBs that are controllable.  You select the one that you want and then OK again.

matador43:

- If it can be somehow "hacked" or "DIY", would it be possible to control the (quite basics) functions of an Apple TV?

Modifying the list of STBs is a dealer task unfortunately.  You may find that APPLE TV is already listed on your, if you haven't already looked.

matador43
Top 200 Contributor
290 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Guy. Spot on as always!

I had a look at the STB list and Apple TV is not listed.

As the TV invoiced mentioned "special programming of XXXX decoder" i was asking myself if it could have be done by myself…

Sadly no so i'll stick with two remotes :-(

parasound
Not Ranked
Sweden
64 Posts
Bronze Member

I have a apple tv to mine Beovision 3-32 with just one remote “beo4” and I have no puc/stb in my stb-list.

Its very simple to get around this problem. Just couse a product form the list, and enter the apple tv menu, then couse that you wana learn the apple tv to be controlled by another remote “the one you coused in the list” You still need the ir-eye from your tv to the front on your apple tv. Think I coused 576p in the resulotion setting, will check it later. But in your chase, 720p would be perfect.

Voila!! Now you just need one remote 👍

It’s kind of cool to control the apple tv with the beo4 on a old Beovision 3-32

Think I coused 576p in the resulotion setting, will check it later. But in your chase, 720p would be perfect.

Living room: BeoVision 4-50 ACM, Beosystem 3 MK3 with samsung SP-H710AE projector, BeoLab 7-1, BeoLab 6000x3pair, BeoSound 3200, AV & CD cabinett & Beo4.

Lounge: BeoSound 3, BeoVision 3-32, DVD1, AV cabinett & Beo4

Kitchen: BeoLab 2000 & Beo4

Master bedroom: BeoVision Avant-32, DVD1, BeoSound Ouverture & Beo4

Guest room: BeoVision 4002, DVD1, BeoSound 2000 & Beo4

matador43
Top 200 Contributor
290 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Parasound. That would have been a great solution, unfortunately I didn't said all the truth!
It's not a genuine Apple TV but an Apple TV 1 running Kodi which as far as i know can't learn IR commands.

Thats why i wanted the TV to learn Generic Apple commands.

Thank you anyway. 

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
338 Posts
Silver Member

Which version of KODI did you install?  I used OSMC and you could learn another remote. So I chose a PUC item from the list and taught my ATV1 those similar buttons to the ATV remote. KODI can learn the IR commands of other remote controls but it can be very complicated to get it to do so but if I remember OSMC had a menu item to allow you to do it more easily. 

What items are listed in your PUC list? This may help I'm making a suggestion as the best one to try.

Stoobie 

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
338 Posts
Silver Member

This KODI add-on may assist.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

Stoobie

matador43
Top 200 Contributor
290 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Stoobietoo,

The only version of Kodi i could install on that ATV1 (the silver one) is Openelec and I believe its Kodi 15 Isengard.
I tried to investigate the learning remote code function but the only documentation i've found so far seems to be very developer oriented.
I also tried the add-on you point to but when i press a remote button for the add-on to learn the code, nothing happened.

Of course your solution would be very elegant, if only i could manage koi to learn a new remote.

Here is my PUC list:

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
338 Posts
Silver Member

Just looking at your original post again.  Have you got an IR emitter plugged into your controller socket and then put our the IR receiver on the ATV? 

The ATV cannot learn the B&O remote but should be able to learn from the emitter especially as you have a few to choose from.

OSMC is also specifically made for ATV1 (Silver) and is currently supported so if you have no luck with Openelec you may consider trying OSMC as they have a specific menu option to learn a new remote.

Stoobie 

matador43
Top 200 Contributor
290 Posts
Bronze Member

I don't have an IR repeater right now but I've tried to teach IR codes to Kodi with various remotes, including a basic Samsung and nothing happened. just the timeout going to its end.

When i got my ATV i found various installers including one mentioning OSMC, but the only one which worked was the one from Openelec.

I'll try again with OSMC and report.

Please can you tell which key you use to control the ATV? Thank you

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
338 Posts
Silver Member

I assume the Apple Remote controls the ATV.  You may need to unpair the Apple Remote before it will learn another remote. Unfortunately I cannot remember how I got my ATV1 working with a new remote but it took a lot of reading and time. I replaced it with a Raspberry Pi and put OSMC on so that is why I know it has a setting to learn a remote. 

I now have a Fire TV with KODI. I have to use two remotes at the moment but will be getting a FLIRC IR receiver so I can control it via my Beo4 remote. That is a project for my Christmas break.

Stoobie 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL