rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 159 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member
Craig posted on Sun, Nov 4 2018 4:22 PM

Drove down to Manchester yesterday to do some Christmas shopping, and picked this up while I was there...ebay again, need to get a handle on this ;¬)

All Replies

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member

Chap who sold it to me, very nice man actually, said it has problems..."turns on, platter spins nothing else happens, driving the carriage assembly right and left works but arm doesn't lower at any point" so this could be fun! cosmetically is not all bad news, control panel looks in very good shape...

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member

The wood trim is still looking good too, nice sharp corners, although the platter looks like someone has been throwing pots on it ;¬)

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Sun, Nov 4 2018 4:33 PM

Popped the stylus out....still has a point by the looks but also looks very dirty, what is the best method of cleaning these?

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member

The pic I forgot to include....

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member

Well that's the good news....bad news is the aluminium tape along the top.....I don't think this can be saved.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member

Will give it a go of course....

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,915 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Nov 4 2018 5:19 PM

The trim panel does look a bit rough - I wonder if Frede can be of assistance again? Cleaning the stylus is best done carefully!! A magic eraser sponge is very useful - simply dab the stylus in it - up and down - not dragging obviously. If you need more, an alcohol cleaner can help but be very careful that the liquid does not run up the cantilever. Many of these cartridges will have seen better days - have a good look at it when clean - a test record can also be used to see if the suspension is ok.

Peter

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,915 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Nov 4 2018 5:24 PM

Which cartridge is it? The 4000 was fitted with an SP15 originally - these were the first of the B&O cartridges without a replaceable stylus and when it was worn, B&O would sell you a new one at half price - the offer is no longer valid! Smile

This was replaced by the MMC4000 in later models and then by the MMC20EN in the 4002.

Peter

milva1
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

https://www.classic-audio.dk/content/classic.php?page=dustcover

Milton

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,915 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Nov 4 2018 8:02 PM

Frede had a lid made for my BG3000 Thorens with 12" arm - I had made one previously and had sent him one - his were better as slightly thicker perspex. The replacement doesn't have the trim strip in the picture though.

Peter

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,915 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Nov 4 2018 8:04 PM

The platter will be an issue as it has corroded and this will not simply clean off. The platter of the 4000 is more complex than that of the later decks as it is much heavier and has the strobe on it. Don't know of an obvious fix.

Peter

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks Milton

Looks like Frede may be able to help, will drop him a line.....and Peter yes the stylus is SP15, looks very dirty, looks sort of furry along the stem

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,522 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Sun, Nov 4 2018 8:37 PM

poor pic....needs to be clicked to view it

milva1
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member
Page 1 of 11 (160 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS