rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 1 Follower

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member
kokomo posted on Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:38 PM

Just installed Bosscom dimmer. Located it in a temporary position and set up light picture (to work with existing LC2s).Satisfied with the setup and operation I fixed the Bosscom in my desired location to control a lamp only to find it wouldn’t work at all with my Beo4. Had to switch on and off via the central button. I’ve now realised that apparently it will not receive signals from the Beo4 if it’s located in position where the light from the lamp is too close to the Bosscom. Guess this blocks the signal from the Beo4.

i’ve now unfixed the unit from the wall (holes in wall, thanks Bosscom) and am now in the process of finding a new position for it some distance from the lamp. Not very convenient.

No reference to this in the fixing instructions. Have emailed Bosscom.

Apologies if this has been raised before.

All Replies

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,511 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Nov 1 2018 4:34 PM

Just curious, what kind of lamp? Halogen, old incandescent bulb, fluorescent, LED?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,428 Posts
Bronze Member

Or maybe a plasma tv near by?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Thu, Nov 1 2018 10:50 PM

Old fashioned bulb, been there a long time. The Bosscom was replacing an LC2 which was in exactly the same position. So clearly they react differently.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,511 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Nov 2 2018 4:39 PM

That's interesting, I never thought of old bulbs as putting out that much IR to jam a remote receiver. Do you think it's light intensity in general or IR? I know I had all sorts of problems when I tried to use any B&O when my plasma TV was on but never had any issue with any kind of light, including a neon art piece.

You could try taking a cardboard tube, like from a paper towel or toilet paper roll, and put it around the light sensor to shield it and see what that does. Might be an interesting data point.

Jeff

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Sat, Nov 3 2018 11:20 AM

Think it is the light intensity. I installed the Bosscom is the same position as my LC2 and controlling the same bulb. An LED light flashes on the Bosscom when a signal is received from my Beo4 which it did when I was successful in switching the light on.

However the light would not switch off and I noticed that the LED light was not flashing on the Bosscom indicating no signal was being received from my Beo4 because I theorised perhaps the light from the lamp was interfering with the signal. I moved the Bosscom out of direct light of the lamp and it worked fine.

Have contacted the company but as yet no response as I think this should be made clear in the instructions.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,511 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Nov 3 2018 2:34 PM

Sounds like the Bosscom doesn't have enough of a filter on the photocell receiver to filter out out of band light. The Beo4 puts out a powerful IR signal but if they left off or cheaped out on a red filter that could cause problems.

Jeff

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member

Agree Jeff, but think Bosscom should make this clear. If you want this to be close to a lamp it might struggle to work properly. I was okay, I could move it  from the direct light of the lamp.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,511 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:43 PM

They should either fix the problem or alert buyers to the issue, preferably the former. At first, until I knew the type of light, I wondered if it could be an RF issue, some lights, especially ones that use transformers and such, can leak noise, but for a conventional incandescent light that was highly unlikely.

Hope you find a location that works well and isn't inconvenient.

Jeff

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Jeff, thanks for your response. Agree with you that they should inform prospective buyers.

As i’m a big fan of lighting, I currently have six LC2s controlling various lighting scenes including behind the TV. The speaker shown in the photo has a light behind it which casts a nice light onto the wall and the adjacent plant. Previously this was controlled by an LC2 which was behind the speaker and unaffected by the light and control from my Beo4. As I have fitted a picture light above a picture, I decided use the LC2 to control this as its position on the wall matches two others in the room. That’s why I purchased the Bosscom to replace the LC2 that previously controlled the speaker light. 

Anyway as can be see, it’s new position means the curtain partly shades it from the lamp and it works fine now with the Bosscom.

As an aside, I do wish B&O had continued production of the LC2 or maybe a MK 2 version or LC3!

Thanks again.

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member

Apologies, for referring to photo. Went into Options, found photo from my library, saved then posted, but nothing!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL